Thyrien

by Magnus Altkula STAFF
January 31st, 2014 | 16 replies | 3,202 views

Release Date: 01/24/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A young, inexperienced version of Ensiferum

I am honestly perplexed by how much good metal music comes out of Finland compared to Estonia. We are only 100 kilometers apart. What do they have in their water that we don’t? Thyrien are not one of the more well-known names from the Finnish scene, but with their debut album Hymns of the Mortals – Songs from the North they only add to the power-folk-melodic death metal the Finns seem to be giving birth to at an ever-increasing rate. Following in the footsteps of their universally lauded countrymen in Ensiferum and Wintersun, Thyrien strive for success by merging the same elements the aforementioned groups do – you can expect plenty of galloping rhythms, catchy melodic riffs, atmospheres guided by underlying synths, and a heavy dosage of pummeling double-bass drumming. There’s nothing here that other groups of the same ilk haven’t already presented us, but then again, this isn’t the kind of music you turn to when looking for innovation. Hymns of the Mortals is easy listening, suitable for drinking beer to with your mates, with catchy melodies flying left and right. And while the songwriting chops of Thyrien aren’t as good as those of veteran bands in the genre, there are quite a few moments throughout the album that manage to conjure a little smile, like what I can only presume is an emulation of a short bagpipe solo 1:25 into "My Victory, My Defeat", or the band’s playful cover of the famous Finnish hit song "Tinasormus". I wouldn’t take Hymns of the Mortals over an Ensiferum album not titled Unsung Heroes, but would I take it with one? Absolutely.

Clocking in under 45 minutes, Thyrien’s first LP is a vigorous, folk-inspired melodic metal album that is bubbling with the energy of a young band. It is far from perfect though, and is plagued by the same generic issues that many modern-day metal debuts suffer from, like the lack of an album-defining song or the inability to truly stand out from the crowd of other similar bands. Hymns of the Mortals doesn’t manage to leave a mark per se – I won’t be biting my nails while waiting for the group’s next one to drop – but it does have qualities that make it endearing, like the clumsy but spirited chants and the band’s refusal to step off the throttle. At the end of the day, it’s how much enjoyment we get out of listening to an album that counts, and Hymns of the Mortals definitely has something to offer to those who appreciate the output of bands such as Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Tyr, Turisas et al. There’s both effort and promise to be found here, as the high spirits of these Finns shine bright on their first full-length offering.

MiXE1 Starlit SkinDoom:VS Earthless

Tyrael

20725 Comments

foooooo

January 31st 2014

Had a feeling you'd come in and say that haha. I do like this record, but there are other bands that do this kind of thing even better. I guess the last sentence of my first paragraph sums up my feelings towards this the best.

Hopelust

EPIC album cover.

Acanthus
January 31st 2014

Enjoy this genre so these guys might be fun, listening to the linked tracks now and I think your rating is about right so far; they're fun but not quite memorable enough.

Digging: Die Sektor - Applied Structure In A Void

January 31st 2014

I really like the album cover as well, it's nice to look at haha.

And yeah Acanthus, I think we'd agree on this album.

EvoHavok

Lovely cover.
They sound pretty cool.

Digging: Ningen-Isu - Burai Houjou

Hopelust
January 31st 2014

It looks like a painting on a magic the gathering card or something. Or a sweet-ass fantasy booouk.

XfingTheSullen

Interesting review.

Pho3nix
January 31st 2014

Thanks for this, always looking for new bands.

January 31st 2014

You're welcome, Pho3nix. And yeah, that's why they keep me on the roster - because I cover bands the other guys don't.

Thanks to all others as well who commented and read!

Crysis
January 31st 2014

Great review. Just listened to those two songs you linked and it was decent, but sounds like every other band in this vein. Ensiferum are as good as they are (were) because they have that special something in their writing which takes it all to the next level. These guys don't sound like they have that.

SharkTooth
January 31st 2014

I'm not a fan of melodic black metal, but I really enjoyed this review

Digging: Tumbleweed Dealer - Western Horror

Crysis
January 31st 2014

As for the Finland v Estonia thing, I think the same thing when it comes to black metal in east coast v west coast of the US. The west has the whole cascadian thing going yet here in the northeast we have almost nothing. Granted, our mountains aren't as grim and shit but I think we could do black metal over here just as well god dammit.

January 31st 2014

I hear you, man. Estonia has like the second highest percentage of forest areas in Europe, so I'm pissed that we have no outstanding black metal bands. There's a few solid ones, but nothing mindblowing. Last metal LP from an Estonian band I heard: some really average modern, core influenced album that sounded like a thousand other bands. I'd love to leave a footprint here repping music from my country, but there's only a handful of artists I can get behind.

@Sharktooth
Glad you enjoyed the review, and give the recommended tracks a go if you're interested. They're not hard to digest at all.

TheSpirit