Seahaven
Silhouette (Latin Skin)

by Adam Thomas STAFF
January 28th, 2014 | 26 replies

Release Date: 01/21/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The sound of paper plates and plastic cutlery.

Seahaven are an enigma when it comes to the current scene of slightly sadder than normal indie-tinged punk ala Tigers Jaw and Pity Sex. From vocalist Kyle Soto's Jesse Lacey-influenced wail on their debut to his Madonna-while-she-was-fuckng Guy Ritchie fake British drawl on Winter Forever, to his now-I-wish-I-was-in-Belle & Sebastian middle ground on their newest EP Silhouette (Latin Skin), the band has followed suit in style in a never ending game of musical Guess Who. While still heavily indebted to the slower songs on the first two Brand New albums -- just see the double tracked vocals in “Sleep Alone”, which sound pulled right off Your Favorite Weapon -- Seahaven have now added a small bit of sleepy, Oberstian nu-country sheen to their emo-pop misery. The only problem is that it doesn't bring much to the table other than another dimension that doesn't quite come together as it should, which rather aptly sums up Seahaven's career as a whole. All the pieces are there to make something great, but instead of leaping ahead of the pack, they rather aptly play second fiddle to their influences instead. Every one of their records has a good song or two, and Silhouette is no different. In fact, every one of the three tracks found on the EP are fun in their own little way, but upon hearing them you can't help to be reminded that everything that they bring to the table has been done before and done better. The hazy aches and twang of the title track fall flat when compared to Cassino, the sad song sing along of “Sleep Alone” was bested over a decade ago on “Soco Amaretto Lime”, and the straight ahead downer rock of “Phantom Family” was done better by Seahaven themselves on Ghost. Sure, it gets the job done, but there are better albums out there if all you're looking for is a second helping of regurgitated ideas served on a flimsy paper plate.

YOB Clearing The Path To AscendUnited Nations The Next Four Years
Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
Owls TwoTaking Back Sunday Happiness Is
3.1
good

dimsim3478
January 28th 2014

yeaaaaaaaaaa these guys have never really been that great. Still, I've seen a surprising amount of Seahaven shirt-wearers in my day...

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

robin

seaheaven - beach house

snowbbird
January 28th 2014

I actually really enjoy the progression they've made on this 7". I used to only find these guys okay, but now I enjoy them more since they've kind of ditched their pop punk leanings. I'll be looking out for the full length.

few typos:

Jesse Lacey influenced wail

(obv arguable but I'd say a hyphen might be useful)

Madonna-while-she-was-fuckng Guy Richie

(also it's spelled Ritchie)

never ending

(again arguable but most dictionaries have a hyphen between the two)

While still heavily indebted to the slower songs on the first two Brand New albums, just see the double tracked vocals in “Sleep Alone” which sound pulled right off Your Favorite Weapon, Seahaven have now

(commas here look hella weird)

second half of your review is fucking amazing though so pree sweet job overall

Mort.

yeah good review

Digging: Altar of Plagues - Teethed Glory and Injury

January 28th 2014

changed some things. how's it now?

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

Iluvatar
January 28th 2014

Still terrible you're a horrible person Adam.

January 28th 2014

Look, you have to get over the fact that Josh is mine now. He doesnt love you anymore. He loves me. You're yesterday's news, bro.

January 28th 2014

way better but "fucking" is still misspelled (unless it's intentional)

Electric City

i'm swimming
is it cold?
it's like a dream
i want to dream

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

taxidermist
January 28th 2014

My gf likes this band. I'm eh about them (from what I've heard).

ShitsofRain
January 29th 2014

they were so boring live zzz

Digging: Anthony Shakir - Frictionalism 1994-2009

holy crap USERNAME CHANGE UP IN THIS BITCH

Mort.

I prefered redskyformiles

January 29th 2014

I don't like Thrice or the album Vheissu much at all anymore. I'm not a fan of being associated with something I think is bad.

XingKing
January 29th 2014

"That's because they're all on heroin and are all sorts of strung out. The stories you hear talking to people who have toured with them are pretty depressing."

Hm never heard these stories but now I need to hear them.

I liked the first EP they did but I can only assume this is worse than Winter Forever

XingKing
January 29th 2014

Well this was indeed shitty

whatshisname
January 29th 2014

Link to any of the stories Athom? From everything I've heard they're pretty cool

January 29th 2014

Nope. I just hear shit from friends and other musicians.