Summoning
Oath Bound

by A.K. USER (65 Reviews)
April 6th, 2006 | 209 replies | 21,703 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

It has been nearly five years since the last Summoning release. In between we have had new DVKE, Kreuzweg Ost, and numerous other projects by Silenius and Protector. Now however comes the band that they are most known for: Summoning. Blending epic landscapes, bombastic medieval percussion, and distant black metal guitar riffs Summoning are truely in a league of their own. Protector commented that on this album the guitars would adopt a more floating style. They indeed do, playing a more arpeggio-based style than ever before. It must also be noted that the artwork is once again superb, a landscape that lets the listener create the action in his own mind while listening.

1 Bauglir

The mandatory intro song for Summoning. It begins with flute and drums. Then in come the strings and horns that are truely Summoning style. There are also Pizzicato strings in this song which have reappearred after being last heard on Dol Guldurs "Nightshade Forests." These go on for a little and then a spoken word sample comes. It deals with Tolkein as usual, though this sample pertains to the Silmarillion. Then enter some arabic drums which are a new addition to Summoning and are hand played by Protector. It ends with a sort of war march sample which may well have been taken from the LOTR trilogy.
3.5/5

2 Across the Streaming Tide

This begins with horns, very similar to something one might hear of the last cd. Then in comes the guitar and one can straightaway hear the "arpeggio" style Protector talked about. The vocals are done by Protector whose voice is very similar to the last cd which is great as he is an excellent vocalist. The song goes on for 10:20 but it is not noticable and does not become boring at any point as throughout the song there are numerous variations on riffs and solo parts that keep the listener engaged.

3 Mirdautas Vras

It should be first said that this has to be the first song sung in full Orkish. The lyrics, written by Arkan von Greifenstein (Ash Nazg, Greifenstein, Dismal) are entirely in the black language and are the first lyrics ever written in a Summoning booklet. What really brings them to life however, is Silenius' excellent vocals on this track. They are very harsh but still clear enough to follow. The instruments include Horns and Strings with no guitar at all. Once again there is a sample from the LOTR movies.

4 Might and Glory

Opens with an uncharecteristic kind of keyboard riff. It is very eerie and if one listens to the intro of the song while looking at the artwork in the booklet one could swear one was in a dark desolate forest. Protector does vocals again. The band also does some clean choir vocals at the end which are similar to those on "Farewell". The choir goes on for a while and is complemented by a beautiful clarinet melody. The ending is guitar tremelo picking and the cawing of ravens.

5 Beleriand

Begins with a feeling very similar to DVKE. Then in comes the guitar and the song starts up. This the one song that probably has a more medieval feel like Dol Guldur and Minas Morgul as compared to the other songs on this cd. This may be because there is a flute in this that dominates some of the riffs. More excellent vocals by Silenius, and though not the best song, still a very solid song.
4/5

6 Northward

We first hear piano, an instrument that does not come to mind when one thinks Summoning. Really for a large portion of the song only drums piano and guitar play. Silenius does vocals yet again (yes they are very good). The song clocks in at 8:39. This may be a good time to mention that every song except the intro is longer than 8 minutes. That is not bad though because the songsnever get boring and you actually get your moneys worth of 70 minutes on this cd.
4.5/5

7 Menegroth

Hey thats my old band name! Anyway the beginning reminds me of the flute melody of Baulgir played on horns. Lots of small details that really give the song depth such as short harp parts and numerous solo parts (solo as in only one instrument playing the riff). The drumming is excellent throughout the cd and this cd is no exception with intricate tom patterns that, when panned so that they are heard only in one ear (they switch from left to right). Very nice, last song with Silenius on vocals.
4.5/5

8 Land of the Dead

The lyrics fit beatifully with this song. The song is very melancholic and has a beautiful string/piano melody. The song is 12:50 and is comprised of only four riffs, an example of Summonings simplistic and engaging genius when it cimes to song structure. The flute also has a lot of great melodies in here. Later the clean choir vocals reappear and replace the flutes melody. Protector does great harsh vocals, better than most Black Metal bands IMO. Amazing song.
5/5

Pros
-Great Musicianship
-Great Vocals
-Exellent Songwriting
-Black Language Vocals

Cons
-Not raw black metal by any account which may turn some of the fans of raw BM off. This cd is an awesome experience however and as with their previous releases, I can't really pinpoint anything wrong with their music.

Ered Wethrin All Song CeasedForest Foredooming the Hope for Eternity
Emyn Muil Túrin Turambar Dagnir GlaurungaDeafheaven Sunbather
Kreuzweg Ost Iron AvantgardeLunar Aurora Hoagascht
Dethtrasher (5)
Atmospheric, melodic, epic and immense. Words can't describe this album. This is an amazing album fr...

April 6th 2006

Can someone tell me how to edit this to add a pic of the cover?

Thanks.

tom79
April 6th 2006

Go to your profile and then go to edit reviews and then pick this one.

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

Thanks.

Aakon_Keetreh
April 6th 2006

I love this cd. I got it like a week ago. 5/5 for sure.

Nepenthe
April 6th 2006

Very good review. You pretty much summed up the reasons for my love of Summoning in one sentence.

"a landscape that lets the listener create the action in his own mind while listening."

WhityRavy
April 9th 2006

Five years !
Five years, i'm waiting for the new album !!
Hail to Summoning !!

Oui, cinq ans que j'attend le nouvel album ! Cinq ans de longue attente (mis à part Lost Tales pour nous dire que Silenius et Protector sont encore en vie). Ce fut trop long ! Mais l'album est la.
La première écoute est un peu difficile (vu que je n'ai pas pu attendre et je l'ai écouter en voiture) mais ensuite je me laisse bercer par la mélancolie de Oath Bound.
Encore ! Encore !

TheDalaiLama
April 10th 2006

Great Cd/review.

April 17th 2006

Is it wrong that after two weeks of trying to like this cd, I still can't?

Why not?This Message Edited On 04.17.06

Kingofdudes
April 18th 2006

Looking through his album ratings, this doesnt seem like it would be his kind of music anyway.

I really need to check this out, perhaps on my next cd order

April 18th 2006

I listen to black metal and such, I just dont bother to rate it because I don't feel I listen to most of it enough.

But this was pressed on me by a friend so incredibly much as some kind of reawakening for my metal tastes, it may just be that I was letdown. Technically, its great, but I just cant get into any of the vocals on this album, and the soundscape as you put it just doesnt suck me in.This Message Edited On 04.18.06

April 19th 2006

Don't approach this as straight-up metal. I guess if you're not into fantasy etc. you wouldn't like this.

Also, there isn't really anything technical about this cd.

April 19th 2006

I'm big into the fantasy aspect of most music, just not this. And for what I normally listen to when it comes to black metal, it does have a good sense of technicality. Again, you are far more versed in the subject than I am, I just think this cd isn't very good.

April 20th 2006

Okay, that's fine, I'm not gonna say your opinion is wrong or try to change it. It's just hard for me to imagine myself not likeing it.

Blindguardian
April 22nd 2006

I heard the first 4:52 of Land of the dead, the version faded away after

I liked it, especially the choir type vocals, but if the whole album is in a similar, repetative vein, I don't think I could take it

April 23rd 2006

No the album has a lot of variety between songs, no two songs really sound the same.

naboo
May 30th 2006

This is a great album. I bought it a few weeks ago without any prior knowledge of Summoning. Their description sounded like something I'd enjoy so I bought it. When I put it on, it wasn't anything like I expected, but after a few listens I started to love. It's going to be hard to beat Land of The Dead for the best song of 2006.

King_Of_Terrors
June 19th 2006

Well for one, if you are listening to alot of metal, you can't just put Summoning on and expect to get into it. You have to be in a chill out mood, and calm. Then you put Summoning on, and be blown away.

AMAZING band, good review.

June 21st 2006

Yes it is great.

encmetalhead, piss off. This Message Edited On 06.27.06

Werny
June 30th 2006

The only good things about this are the atmosphere and the occasional awesome riff/melody/beat. I can't listen to the whole CD, it just ends up boring me to tears. I bought this expecting another Minas Morgul (my favourite b/m CD at the moment) but it's not nearly as good.

They really need to try something new. Their song structures are so repetitive.

Good review though.