Ricky Eat Acid
Three Love Songs

by William Lim USER (20 Reviews)
January 27th, 2014 | 73 replies

Release Date: 01/21/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sam Ray, producer of Ricky Eat Acid, also has a band called "Teen Suicide". Trust me, "Three Love Songs" will make you cry harder.

Ricky Eat Acid’s Three Love Songs opens on first listen as an ambient record with six tracks and eighteen minutes of episodic sound evocations typical of the genre’s more atmospheric, less rhythm oriented side. That’s not to say that they’re not brilliantly done, but on first listen they’re essentially just six tracks of unfamiliar sonic motifs. Nevertheless, Three Love Songs is an ambient record and answers at this stage have yet to become clear: the question becomes whether or not there is meaning to be found within producer Sam Ray’s ungrounded, surreal soundscapes.

And then you hit track seven.

The mysteriously titled “It will draw me over to it like it always does” shifts from a gentle, airy foundation and light footed piano into a chillwave song, and yet it’s so natural. It’s almost like watching a close-up of a young girl’s hand slip onto that of the lonely boy in a tearjerker movie: a subtle gesture of explosive emotional impact. Furthermore, it throws your impression of Three Love Songs out the window. By the point of arrival at “It will draw me”, Ray has made no attempt to indicate that a dance-oriented climax is approaching other than the fact that nothing has hit with any less subtlety than the total ambiguity of the preceding tracks; the lingering anticipation for the album to burst. And as “It will draw me” fades away, “In my dreams we’re almost touching” follows as another chillwave track with bumping, positively dance-inducing rhythmic hypnotism that builds and builds and then fades away under an obscuring, crackly haze.

But, of course, this is all retrospective: the two song chillwave centrepiece of Three Love Songs initially does not make sense being there on first listen and before you know it, it’s gone beneath the shimmering melancholy vocal sample on “God puts us all in a swimming pool”. The album’s last four tracks are of equal length to the aforementioned opening six, effectively book-ending “It will draw me” and “In my dreams”. Despite their low-key aura, however, they’re ten times more eventful, carrying the percussion-driven opening to “Outside your house; the lights went out & there was nothing”, the unbelievably haunting layering of “I can hear the heart breaking as one”, and the transcendental blip-blops of closer “Starting over”. With that, Three Love Songs ends, but the well thought-out nature of the album is revealed at its close. It transitions through three movements, beginning with the album drifting in a dream (tracks 1-6) before finding its footing (tracks 7-8) and then sort of combining the two approaches as it ends (tracks 9-12), dealing in builds and winds and climaxes for an expansive and expressive adventure contained in ambient music. Suddenly, structure gives the instrumentation meaning.

I wish I could say that the oral journey I’ve just dictated came to me across the course of my first listen; that my impression of the album changed from “just esoteric ambient” to “esoteric ambient with dreamy bangers” to “beautifully structured and fully realized” as I made my way through the album’s three controlled bursts. The truth is it took me about three or four runs of intensely focused listening to absorb every song and discover what they collectively form as Three Love Songs. The album is a testament to perseverance in listening to music and the fullness provided by a well constructed full length album: Three Love Songs was made to engulf the audience for forty-five minutes. And in that, even the most seemingly aimless tracks on the record culminate into a collective effort that reveals a flattering truth about Sam Ray: the album was a vision. For all its inane motifs and atmospheres that were no doubt little more than flashes of sound in Ray’s writing process, he crafts from them a record that truly means something. From there, the audience takes it and does with it what is always done with abstract art, ambient music especially: they decide for themselves what that meaning is.

Troubled Medium WHAT ARE YOU DOINGBrave Bird T-Minus Grand Gesture
Waxahatchee American WeekendMilhouse Thrillhouse
Cap'n Jazz Shmap'n ShmazzGeorgia Maq Friends and Bowler's Run
chambered99 (4.5)
running your hand over the piano keys...

January 27th 2014

I really didn't want to do a lame "this song makes me think about this [visual stimulus]" ambient review. I hope this did the album justice.

Digging: Little Big League - These Are Good People

Azn.

pretty sweet review/album

this could be the soundtrack to proteus

Crawl

jimmy eat world

wut

the opener is um

FadedSun
January 27th 2014

Checking this out, despite the terrible artist name.

skip the first track

track 7 is phenomenal i may hav skipped to it =]

MisterTornado
January 27th 2014

still need to check this

solongatlast
January 27th 2014

I loved seeing little ghosts everywhere and I love the first half of this, but I guess I'm just not much of a chillwave fan.

ShitsofRain

really
this

Digging: Croatian Amor - Genitalia Garden

February 6th 2014

ive had track 7 on repeat for about a week now. ive heard it at least 30 times today alone.

February 7th 2014

Maybe that's a sign to, y'know...

...listen to the rest of the album?

StrangerofSorts
February 15th 2014

Just a little bump to say this album is the tits. Great to see it reviewed! Have a pos for that and I guess a virtual high five for the good review

The bio is really cute if you haven't read it: http://anabundanceofstrawberries.com/

YakNips
February 15th 2014

Great review for a great album

Digging: Ritual Mess - Vile Art

Azn.
February 15th 2014

yeah fantastic review, good job

itchybutthole

i agree

Digging: Ricardo Villalobos - Vasco

StrangerofSorts
February 15th 2014

A few things to note though:

... light footed piano into a chillwave song, and yet, it’s so natural.

the last comma here is completely unnecessary. Same with this, really:

And then, you hit track seven.

It breaks the flow too much. "And then you hit track seven" is much more powerful as a kind of "hold the presses!" statement if you keep it as a single clause. Get me? Overuse of commas in other places too but I'm sure you'll be able to see them. It's kind of a case of "if you don't need them, don't use them."

Final thing:

It begins drifting in a dream, finds its footing, and then sort of combines the two approaches as it ends: the album deals in builds and winds and climaxes for an absolute adventure contained in epic ambient music. Suddenly, structure gives the instrumentation meaning.

Structurally (we're both talking about structure, yay!) this is very confused and it took me a while to actually unpack what you were trying to say. It's as if you're starting a whole new idea after the colon with such a definitive tone so (1) a colon is inappropriate and (2) it's too sudden a transition anyway. I'm wary of going in and retyping it because I don't want to say "the way I do things is right!" because it isn't, but I'll have a stab:

It begins drifting in a dream, finds its footing and then combines the two approaches as it ends: dealing in builds and winds and climaxes for an epic adventure contained in ambient music. Suddenly, structure gives the instrumentation meaning.

Flows better without the clutter as well. Still a great review though - I really like your ideas about the album (:

I've recently been asked to contribute more with feedback, can you tell?