Seizures

4.8

by Adam Thomas STAFF
January 26th, 2014 | 51 replies

Release Date: 11/15/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Powerful, precise, and perfect.

I make no doubts about it, I love metalcore. Back when I was fifteen, bands like Botch, Coalesce, and Deadguy pushed my own personal boundaries on what I considered punk at the time. Being born in the 80's in southern California made it so I was on the front lines when punk “broke”, but where the bands that I was introduced to by my neighbors and their older brothers as a kid like Minor Threat and Rancid carved their visions out of a handful of simple chords, The Dillinger Escape Plan and Drowningman crafted tomes out of fury and dissonance. As the genre evolved and changed from Boston's noisiest to Boston's most melodic in the early 2000's, the exploding cavalcade of time changes, tritones, and two note nails-across-chalkboard noises pretty much disappeared with the exception of a couple last hanger-ons. Even now, in the age where every forgotten trend of someone's youth is making a comeback, the style is still only barely surviving. Mainstays like Converge are going more and more into His Hero Is Gone crust territory, KEN Mode are building more and more on their noise rock influences than their hardcore ones, and Gaza is... well, lets not talk about that.

That is why I am so enamored with the latest record from Seizures. Where the band in the past kept their off the walls antics reigned in, The Sanity Universal unleashes the floodgates. The result is a pure throwback to all things heavy, discordant, and ugly that sounds ripped straight out of my teenage years. The Sanity Universal is built on constantly shifting ground, and Seizures move every which way in line with its foundation. Every riff is a smack in the face with a fretboard on fire. It churns its way across frenetic fills, d-beat drumming, buzzsaw diminished runs, and more acrobatic hammer-ons than what Botch packed into their entire discography. It's a beautiful and calculated mess; an auditory train wreck in the best of ways. “Suicide Support Hotline” grooves just as hard as anything Coalesce managed to concoct during their original heyday, “Kansas” builds on both the metal tinged chaos of The Red Chord's debut as well as the atmospheric decay that turned Cave In into a household name outside of just the hardcore scene, and “Ante Meridiem” out-We Are the Romans Botch at their own game. It's fucking glorious.

Plain and simple there has been no metalcore, mathcore, noisecore, whatever the heck you want to call it record this stunning since before James Dewees was wasting his talent on the side of the stage at My Chemical Romance concerts. The Sanity Universal is, without a doubt, something we're going to be looking back on in ten years with reverence and awe. It's powerful, precise, and, well, perfect. To put it bluntly, it's a classic.

Weezer Everything Will Be Alright in the EndYOB Clearing The Path To Ascend
United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two

January 25th 2014

This is getting a remaster/2xLP press on Melotov records sometime this year and I'm stoked on that. Dudes definitely deserve some love.

YourDarkAffected

this is sweet.

Brostep
January 25th 2014

you use hangers-on and hanging on in the span of 2 sentences but ace review otherwise

good catch. changed. thanks

Veldin
January 25th 2014

This sounds really awesome so far.
For those interested: http://seizures.bandcamp.com/album/the-sanity-universal-2013

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

BigSneakySnatch
January 25th 2014

that intro song is nice, will definitely get this

intotheshit
January 26th 2014

I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I finally jammed this. Incredible. I hear influences from botch to Dillinger to see Rorschach. Amazing.

Veldin
January 26th 2014

Unrelenting for an hour straight.

Calc

lovin this...

Digging: Milo - A Toothpaste Suburb

Voivod

Great review, mindpos.

one tiny correction:

barely survivng

surviving

I recently stumbled across a Milwaukee outfit called Enabler and judging from your review description, both acts seem to be on the same page.

Digging: Seduced (AT) - The Proclamation

JS19
January 26th 2014

I need this so badly. Gonna wait for the remaster

Digging: Gates - Bloom and Breathe

StreetlightRock

This is so fuckin good

Digging: The Flaming Lips - With A Little Help From My Fwends

Xenophanes
January 26th 2014

released on my birthday will have to check

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

ConorIsNotHere
January 26th 2014

Chanter was pretty interesting. Colour me intrigued.

Digging: Punch - They Don?t Have To Believe

SeaAnemone

20535 Comments

need this so hard

Digging: Pharmakon - Bestial Burden

January 26th 2014

made a couple edits to this that hopefully make it read better.

Mort.

this is ridiculously good

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

Itwasthatwas
January 27th 2014

"I make no doubts about it" is this an actual phrase that people use?
Looking forward to hearing this