Codeine
The White Birch

by spookin since 1932, friendin ever since i met you USER (7 Reviews)
January 25th, 2014 | 29 replies | 2,405 views

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: All that needs to be said has been said.

Codeine. The bands name is almost perfectly suited to their music. A subtle sweetness, a sublime numbing; however, although enticing, this album is far from euphoric. This music is the after-taste of attachment. The feeling of waking up in the morning with no one by your side, and the lack of a volatile reaction to this fact. There is no great dismay, no great wonder, only a semi-tangible state of anaesthesia.
Sedated, half-spoken utterances regarding this apparent predicament bring to mind a ruptured state of being. Gentle musical ebbs and flows form around occasionally loud engagements of snares, and minimal-sounding guitar work serves to remind the drums of their place.

Loss leader, losing sight of the shore/ Can't take this lost loop any more

A portrait stroked with half-hearted caresses, this is The White Birch. In a curtained area operating outside the emerging post-hardcore and emo scenes of a somewhat similar emotional demeanour, this album was put together. A downtrodden work of the slowcore variety, it operates around three basic elements. 1. Don't give a ***. 2. Occasionally bloom into loud moments of pseudo-catharsis 3. Continue to not give a ***.

This is not an attempt to deride the efforts of the musicians involved. No, it is a statement on the general atmosphere and feeling the album details. These songs portray a state of flux where there is no real solution to an issue, and no real desire or ability to find one. It's a grey area showcasing a pure inability to operate, and this theme is conducted to absolute perfection. Unlike contemporaries Low, this band makes no effort to offer any diamond-in-the-rough moments. This album serves to be an emotional purgatory, through and through.

There isn't much else to say about this album, but why should there be? A largely forgotten masterpiece from a scene no one really paid attention to, it's status serves to embody the work; to be deserving of something more, to be worth nothing less, and to wake up with nothing there.

Can't go back there/Can't go forward/What does the word vacancy mean, when you don't expect anything?

Woob 1194PINKSHINYULTRABLAST Happy Songs For Happy Zombies
The Hanged Man And The Moon Just One ShotBrotha Lynch Hung Dinner and a Movie
Marriages KitsuneJean Louis Costes Fecal Master

Barely Real

Frigid Stars

January 25th 2014

ya like idk i tried to write an experimental lowercase review idk if you could help me tidy up the last sentence idk ive being looking at it for awhile it doesnt seem great but idk wtvr

here's the single from the album, complete with 2006 video and sound quality

sixdegrees
January 25th 2014

about time someone reviewed this gj friend

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

ShitsofRain

interesting

Digging: Ben Sims - Fabric 73

January 25th 2014

edited because who finna stop me

Essential.

Chortles

great album

Digging: Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura

Spec
January 25th 2014

Surprised it took this long to get a review.

January 25th 2014

yeah if i could have some feedback on my review to get better or something idk wtvr

Spec
January 25th 2014

its got lots of words and stuff so im sure its fine idk didnt read it

o k a w e s o m e = D

TheCrocodile
January 25th 2014

Was listening to this yesterday, funny. Good first review, but you might want to talk about individual songs, context of the making of the album (it is fairly unknown), musicianship, etc. You did a great job talking about the atmosphere which is what this album is all about, but idk I would've put other stuff in the review to justify the 5 imo.

That being said have a pos for a fun read and reviewing this thing that soots the winter mood perfectly.

January 25th 2014

There's no need to add the stuff you mentioned. The review is fine as is. Nobody is going to read something that long and unnecessary.

January 25th 2014

ya idk i wanted to have a paragraph before the conclusion focusing more on that stuff but i hate reading long reviews. your very point is why im asking what people think haha.

TheCrocodile
January 25th 2014

I guess I just enjoy a medium to long review more than the average folk. That is especially for a 5. Since I enjoy reading people's thoughts on their favorites I guess I wanted to know more hence my other comment.

But then again, as eternium pointed out, the review is perfectly fine to get the point across that this is a classic of the genre.

TheBarber
January 25th 2014

Can't believe this didn't have a review before

Digging: Lilys - Eccsame The Photon Band

January 25th 2014

midway through the review I had to take a break to contemplate the meaningless of our pitiful existence so gd rev friend have a pos

Read Sartre.

January 25th 2014

been reading Nietzsche for English class recently so I'm heady-philosophered-out at the moment, but
given my brief experience with Camus I have a decent idea of Sartre I think (on a very superficial
level obv)