The Beatles
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (108 Reviews)
January 24th, 2014 | 28 replies | 5,756 views

Release Date: 1967 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A timeless release that will follow me to my grave.

Ever since I was able to walk, The Beatles have been a part of my life in some way or another. I don’t just say this because I think it makes a decent introduction, but rather due to the fact that I couldn’t picture my life without their music. Before you declare fanboy!! and such, consider this: I’ve been listening to The Beatles ever since I was born. I’m more than just a fan..they’re a part of me. They’re my dad’s all-time favorite band and even before I could speak or take my first steps, John Lennon and Co. were already becoming embedded into my DNA. There are literally family videos of me running around in my diapers foolishly dancing to the fan favorite ‘A Hard Day’s Night’. All this wouldn’t really matter if the band were simply tied to a nostalgic memory, but their music is just as captivating to me now as it was then, albeit for different reasons.

Without a doubt, The Beatles discography is one of the most solid in the history of rock music, but their most impressive release has to be “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.” Many will agree with me while I prepare my shield for the naysayers, but this album remains my favorite effort from the British rock legends. It’s loaded with relentless energy and the psychedelic aspects of it put it on a plane all of its own as we are taken on a ride not unlike “The Magical Mystery Tour”, but even better. What really makes it a classic, however, is the insane amount of variety. Some songs are undeniably quirky, such as ‘Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite’ or ‘Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds’ while tracks like ‘A Day In The Life’ are much more serious in nature and contain some of the band’s most thought provoking lyrics. Then of course there’s the songs that are just too damn fun to ignore. ‘When I’m Sixty-Four’ and ‘Lovely Rita’ remain two of the most charming songs on the album as The Beatle’s let loose and just have a good time.

At the end of the day, however, what really keeps me coming back to this album is a deeply ingrained connection I have with it. Unlike some of the band’s work, this is an album that is tied to so many numerous memories, both old and new. I’ve jammed "Sgt. Pepper’s" in my old bedroom as a teenager. I spin "Sgt. Pepper’s" to pass the time at work. My dad rocked out to it throughout most of my childhood. So to say nostalgia isn’t a major reason for my undying love for this release would be a lie. But no matter how hard I try, I can’t convince myself this effort is deserving of anything less than a perfect score.

We all go through different chapters in our lives, but no matter how far I wander, "Sgt. Pepper’s" manages to find me again. The Beatles were there when I learned how to walk, and I have no doubts they’ll be there for me during my dying days. Getting older is just a part of living, but it’s nice to know there’s a band I can turn to as I progress through this thing they call life. Which begs the question: will I still listen to this album when I’m sixty-four? You bet your ass I will.

Trvth ApproachingAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
The Byrds Mr. Tambourine ManSomos Temple of Plenty
Fireworks Oh, Common LifeA Slow Descent On Ganymede

19434 Comments

There's nothing I can really say about this album that hasn't already been said...so tried to just take a more personal approach with this review.

Also, been feeling pretty rusty so any feedback is a plus

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

January 24th 2014

Damn fine review, loved the personal aspect

Digging: Dot Hacker - How's Your Process? (Work)

19434 Comments

Thanks man I'm glad u liked it! Was a bit skeptical about this one thought it might seem too fanboyish but I figured a personal approach might be better since so much has already been said about the album itself. Plus it's my 100th review so I do whadiwant lol

January 24th 2014

This is definitely better than just saying "album is perfect guys if you think otherwise you just don't understand" for like the thousandth time
Not that every review is like that of course but it certainly happens a lot
Also damn 100 review, nice job

manosg
January 24th 2014

Is there any other way to approach such music rather than the emotional? Hell no.

Great review too man. Even though it's personal, I think we can all connect at some level as this is the way most of us feel about certain albums that follows us through thick and thin.

Digging: Donovan - Sunshine Superman

19434 Comments

thanks! glad you could relate dude. It's possibly my all-time favorite album so i couldn't help gushing a little :/

January 24th 2014

Try to realise it's all within yourself no-one else can make you chaaaaaaaange
best song ever right there goddamn

manosg
January 24th 2014

I find it really hard to choose a favorite from this one but Within You Without You is incredible. Too much awesome stuff on this one; Lucy in the Sky, A Day in the Life...

January 24th 2014

McCartney's part in the Day in the Life is one of the few parts of his I really don't like, unfortunately
Its just too awkward for me

SnakeDelilah

best album ever

Digging: Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

MO
January 24th 2014

too good a day in the life omg

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

Muisc4Life26

Great review.

Kalopsia

Great review. [2]

congrats on the 100 mark man!!

guitarded_chuck
January 24th 2014

"getting better" makes me feel instantly better about everything no matter how low i'm feeling at that moment

album has a special place in my heart

January 24th 2014

solid as always, atari. a couple of mistakes throughout:

Before you declare fanboy!!! and the such

change for "and such" or "and the like," otherwise good work

19434 Comments

thanks for the compliments everyone!

@Gyro, good catch and thanks as well.

@guitarded_chuck, yeah that song is enough to put a smile on anyone's face ;)

thelastsignal
January 24th 2014

Very nice, Atari; I love the approach. I haven't listened to much of these guys in a very long while, so I will have to revisit them. A fitting 100th review, bud.

Digging: Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun

19434 Comments

Thanks man! glad you liked it :]

Ecnalzen
January 24th 2014

Hey, Atari is reviewing The Beats. Nice.

Never really fully checked this band out. I have heard their singles album (Number Ones or whatever it's called), but that's mostly it.

rockandmetaljunkie