Nine Lashes
From Water to War

2.0
poor

by Christopher Geriak USER (41 Reviews)
January 20th, 2014 | 8 replies

Release Date: 01/21/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's like baking: you mix in too much ingredients, you ruin the final product.

Nine Lashes. Another band that tries to make its way to the top by compiling different bands into one sound that in turn is produced to a sound we’ve seen before. If anything, their most recent release, From Water to War is a perfect example of this. Considering the fact that this is their second international release, you’d think they might learn from their mistakes in the past. And while World We View was a decent record, there were too many flaws with its production and it turned out to be nothing special; just another rock band doing what they do. However, what we get in an overproduced, pretentious, and rather disappointing record.

The album is produced by Aaron Sprinkle, whom many people might recognize as one of the main producers for Tooth & Nail Records, producing albums from bands like Demon Hunter, Thousand Foot Krutch, FM Static, and many other Christian bands out there, as well as Nine Lashes’ last record. Being honest, he really isn’t the greatest producer out there. He’s not really bad or anything in fact he is a pretty decent producer. He has done some great work in the past, it's just that he just has a tendency to have many other bands aim more towards a mainstream sound rather than what the bands want to sound like. It’s not that he forces them to do so which I highly doubt he does in the first place, but a lot of what he’s produced is relatively mainstream-sounding. Here, it’s not that he produces this album like a mainstream record, which he does, but it’s that he over-produces it.

The sound is filled to the brink with electronic sounds that might make your ears bleed throughout the whole album. The guitars are given a back-seat to make way for those sounds occasionally and it just doesn’t fit anything as to what Nine Lashes sounded in the past. The problems in this record and in World We View are relatively the same, but it’s just that the weaknesses seem to take over the strengths. Nine Lashes are in way too deep in their comfort zone throughout the whole record, believing that putting in a bunch of electronic sounds will make a difference, which in fact worsens the whole predicament rather than solving it.

Almost all of the songs are rather blandly generic, or just sound like total garbage. The lead single Break the World is probably the bands most generic piece yet, and that is saying something, because let’s face it; Nine Lashes is a very plain band. Where I Belong is an example of what I’m talking about on how the guitars take a back seat for the electronics. It practically avoids the "rock" sound throughout and is more like a mainstream pop song you’d hear on the radio that ends up getting repeated several times a day. Surrender is Nine Lashes attempt to make themselves sound original. It’s like Afterglow from World We View except Afterglow was actually good. Many may find some TFK influence in here, but I hear more of a “Red-meets-Thirty Seconds to Mars” kind of thing. If anything, this does sound relatively similar to “Love Lust Faith + Dreams” in terms of the production, and it’s disgusting.

Even so, there are a couple of catchy songs, like the first track Never Back Down, which to be fair is an exception for the most part for the sound. There are guitars in it and it does feel like it should’ve been placed in Nine Lashes previous album. But even so, that fact does lay another problem. From Water to War is more focused on having catchy songs rather than leaving an impact that will even have you remember the song. The only other song that may leave a lasting impression is Light It Up which is the other exception to its sound problems, just only just. It does have the guitars placed in there, and it is quite catchy.

There’s nothing here that’s really worth mentioning, or anything that might even catch your interest. It’s just another bland, over-produced record and nothing else. I highly doubt anybody was even hyped up for this album in the first place. Granted, it was better than I thought it would end up being, but not that much better. Nine Lashes has simply wasted their potential here, which they had a lot of. The unfortunate thing is that if they think this is out of their comfort zone, then they have the wrong idea of what to do later in their future. It may not be the worst record ever, nor it may not be worst record of this year (it's only January people, give it time) but all in all, this may end up having Nine Lashes lose a few fans.

In Flames Siren CharmsThousand Foot Krutch Oxygen: Inhale
In Flames Soundtrack to Your EscapeTheory of a Deadman Savages
Rhapsody of Fire Symphony of Enchanted Lands IIStarset Transmissions
2.6
GrimReaper (2)
Just another sophomore slump, I suppose......

Kyle Boucher (3)
A safe, but mostly satisfying release by a band that needs to differentiate itself in a genre domina...

January 20th 2014

Yep...very disappointing. Feedback is welcome.

Digging: Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Good review dude

A few things:

"The album is produced by Aaron Sprinkle, whom many people might recognize as one of the main producers for Tooth & Nail Records, producing albums from bands like Demon Hunter, Thousand Foot Krutch, FM Static, and many other Christian bands out there, as well as Nine Lashes’ last record. Being honest, he really isn’t the greatest producer out there. He’s not really bad or anything, he just has a tendency to have many other bands aim more towards a mainstream sound rather than what the bands want to sound like. It’s not that he forces them to do so which I highly doubt he does in the first place, but a lot of what he’s produced is relatively mainstream-sounding. Here, it’s not that he produces this album like a mainstream record, which he does, but it’s that he over-produces it."

Try to shorten this a bit because you kinda ramble here. Why not say that he is a very competent producer, but he tends to add a little too much to the music and this is what he did here. Just play around with that.

"Almost all of the songs are rather blandly generic, generically bland, or just sound like total garbage. The lead single” Break the World” is probably the bands most generic piece yet, and that is saying something, because let’s face it; Nine Lashes is a very generic band."

The first two things in that sentence are pretty much the same thing haha. And you use generic way too much in these four lines.

"There’s almost none of that “rock” sound"

Maybe try It's almost completely devoid of the standard rock sound?

January 20th 2014

Thanks man. I'll try to get around those things when I get the chance. (As long as my computer doesn't crash that is)

No problem man

January 20th 2014

Just fixed it, as for that last one you mentioned, I kinda paraphrased it. Didn't want to completely copy it.

ScuroFantasma
January 21st 2014

1933 Comments

good review, pos. One of the best-written reviews I have seen you do in a while.

Digging: Eluveitie - Origins

January 21st 2014

I guess that's a compliment...