Deeds of Flesh
Path of the Weakening

by Jacquibim CONTRIBUTOR (52 Reviews)
January 17th, 2014 | 30 replies | 1,335 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Kind of like a jigsaw puzzle consisting entirely of riffs"

Before Deeds of Flesh became hell bent on technicality and sci-fi hoo-ha, they were considered among the finest riff crafters in brutal death. Their new sound obviously has its merits, but very rarely do I find myself clamouring back to their latest two records when their back catalogue beckons. Deeds’ music has always been complex, but prior to Of What’s to Come, it was also characteristically reserved. Each of their albums was a labyrinth featuring a multitude of riffs with very few distractions, and for that reason they could come across as either impenetrable or absorbing. Truthfully speaking, old Deeds were so unflinching in their approach and consistent in execution that any of their albums could have been nominated as their peak for one reason or another. However, it’s 1999s Path of The Weakening that stands out as arguably the finest all-rounder in their discography.

If this album (or Deeds’ old sound in general, for that matter) could be summed up in a couple of words, they would be something like “no bullshit”. Path of The Weakening is the musical equivalent of a half-hour bare-knuckle fist fight. There are no ostentatious sweeps, synths or even solos to ease the endeavour, your only consolation being a grand total of two brief samples to break up what would otherwise turn your brain into mush. From the blistering opening track through to the eerily slow closer, the listener is unfalteringly assaulted with tremolo riffs, brisk, precise drumming and infrequent Suffocation-esque breakdowns. Thankfully the production is just as uncompromised as the instrumentation. The overall sound (though not particularly dynamic) is nicely balanced, combining clarity and lower end without succumbing to plasticity. The sound engineering thus allows the instrumentation to be as unrelenting and brutal as it dare.

Because the ever-changing and relentless riff patterns allow for virtually zero relief, it’s very easy to let your mind wander and miss a lot of the intricacies. Much like any Deeds album, Path of The Weakening requires stern attention, and for that reason may not be the most enjoyable album at first. Kind of like a jigsaw puzzle consisting entirely of riffs, everything begins to come together as you invest more time in it, and eventually the song progressions and motifs reveal themselves to complete a grand picture. The title-track is arguably the strongest, as it utilises carefully obscured repetition by virtue of subtle modifications to prior rhythms and concepts, the song feels unified without coming across as pedestrian. This approach towards writing permeates the whole album, but is best exemplified in the aforementioned track perhaps because its runtime allows for a fuller progression.

Though not every song is as easy to flesh out as the next, you would be hard pressed to describe any of them, even speaking in relative terms, as “poor”. Due to the complex web that supports the unabashed guitar work, Path of The Weakening succeeds on both superficial and analytical levels, containing riff wizardry in abundance and song writing to match. If you’re a fan of riffs and subtle sophistication, then this album will more than sate your addiction.

Krusseldorf Fractal WorldSuicide Silence You Can't Stop Me
Origin OmnipresentRippikoulu Ulvaja
Incantation Dirges of ElysiumAutechre LP5

January 16th 2014

Seriously it's got riffs, hope you like the review, no fun allowed

Digging: Krusseldorf - Fractal World

January 16th 2014

Seems like a lotta peeps don't dig DOF but I like some of their stuff. They're one of the better tech bands and this probably their best album. I've discog'd them before and I'm surprised more people don't talk about them. I didn't like their newest though.

Besides my stupid rambling how in the world did this not have a review!?! I blame Anthracks

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

January 16th 2014

Dunno, a lot of awesome albums don't have reviews I'm trying to do my part

January 16th 2014

Well you're doing a great job. Not sure if you're going for it but if you are you would make a contrib. you def take you're writing seriously and I seem to always enjoy your writing style and flow.

sweet summary

January 16th 2014

Thanks Cap, and yeah I'm gonna apply, everyone wants me to.

Treb you should listen to this, or are you still anti-m/?

No I'm not anti m/ I jammed Zealotry because of your review

I'll check this out

tommygun
January 16th 2014

oh hey another one of those indistinguishable dm records

pos :]

Digging: Obliteration - Black Death Horizon

evilford
January 16th 2014

Pos'd great album it needed a review

Digging: Krabathor - Cool Mortification

joshuahuntkc
January 16th 2014

Solid review dude. I'm a big fan of both the DOF distinctions and you did a really good job of putting the sound of the early years to words.

January 17th 2014

trading pieces will always be the best

Interesting choice.

Sup piss

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

im pest you dunce

same difference

January 17th 2014

im not elite in the slightest

January 17th 2014

i wasn't talking about eliteness ;)

January 17th 2014

dont wink at me like that

January 17th 2014

Yo pest what's your fav Deeds besides Trading Places? Also why do you keep getting banned?

January 17th 2014

Cos he's with verm in the slammer dude.