Baring Teeth
Atrophy

by Jacquibim CONTRIBUTOR (53 Reviews)
January 16th, 2014 | 25 replies | 1,313 views

In music, the art of impersonation is criminally underrated. Granted, if a band is fixated on replicating derivative nonsense in the hope of cashing in on whatever trend is doing rounds, said band’s efforts will (deservedly) be dismissed on a whim. However, imitating the supposedly inimitable, irrespective of the lack of originality required, is a remarkably impressive feat. If you’re expecting something novel or ground breaking from Baring Teeth’s debut album Atrophy, you’re going to be underwhelmed. Baring Teeth aren’t a “rip-off” act per se, but neither can you say they’re subtle in the way they channel their influences. Save for a cleaner production job – courtesy of the album’s 14 year deficit to its spiritual predecessor – and a much more subdued vocal performance, Atrophy comes closer to mirroring the deranged, extra-dimensional aesthetic of Gorguts’ Obscura than any album before it.

Just like the aforementioned, Atrophy is a churning cacophony of warped rhythms and strange, sinister soundscapes. The eponymous opener immediately engrosses the listener in contorted riffery and drumming before briskly shifting into ambient-tinged death/doom. Although the opening track reveals itself to be a lesser cut over the course of the album, it nevertheless sets the tone of the album effectively. Atrophy is riddled with spontaneous segues, tempo shifts and atmospheric passages, utilising this demented concoction of instrumental mayhem and organic production to craft genuine suspense and then shattering it without warning. The sonic disarray is like a musical equivalent of M. C. Esher’s legendary Relativity lithograph, in which the basic principles of gravity are suspended in favour of the artist’s personal canon. Just like Relativity, Atrophy creates its own set of rules and abides accordingly, and though the result may appear superficially twisted, in actuality it is a cohesive and sensical (though abnormal) piece of work.

It should be noted that Atrophy doesn’t approach the quality of Obscura, it’s neither as structurally abstract, as texturally nuanced nor as vibrant in execution. The most apparent difference between the two albums is their respective vocal performances. Though Baring Teeth have managed to flesh out Gorguts’ methodology very well, the dual vocal assault of Luc Lemay and the late Steve Hurdle remains something that is yet to be replicated. The vocal performances of Scott Addison and Andrew Hawkins don’t extend far beyond unobtrusive guttural murmurings, but it’s clear that said vocals are merely intended to be accents to the organised chaos accompanying them. The demented, jazz-tinged guitar, bass and drum work is set ominously to the fore-front, and while entertaining and puzzling they may be, the album is actually strongest at its slowest and most drawn out. Extra praise must be reserved for the album’s producer, whose attention to dynamics as well as organic tones and textures allow the slower sections to work their magic as intended. The three-punch combo in the form of tracks “Distilled in Fire”, “Vestigial Birth” and “Scarred Fingertips” is quite easily the highpoint of the album, showcasing the band shifting focus from organised chaos to timbre-conscious soundscapes and faint ambience.

It’s a shame that Atrophy’s validity as a musical triumph will forever be in dispute in light of its fervent to imitate rather than innovate. No, it doesn’t reach the heights of Obscura, however it can lay claim to the idea that said album is no longer one of a kind, which isn’t exactly a minor achievement. Atrophy may very well be a stable mate in musical worship as opposed to innovation, but its sheer effectiveness and superb execution is a call for admiration.

Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsKrusseldorf Fractal World
Suicide Silence You Can't Stop MeOrigin Omnipresent
Rippikoulu UlvajaIncantation Dirges of Elysium

January 15th 2014

Album rules, hope you like the review, no fun allowed

Digging: Abigor - Leytmotif Luzifer

January 15th 2014

bout time someone reviewed this

I think I rated it under my seed account. But some good stuff on this and if I remember correctly I dug that obscure closer track

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

yeah I rated 3.5 back in '11

been a while tho

January 15th 2014

Yeah you should revisit for sure. Surprised the average is only 3.6 as well.

January 15th 2014

I probably will tomorrow actually. I'm hangin with the fam so I haven't read yet as I like to focus when I read but I'll try read your rev tomm too.

Godspeed Captain m/m/

pos

Digging: J Mascis - Tied to a Star

Cheers tommy I know you didn't read but you're a m8 so :D

freakin lol

too hot to read maybe later but i'm on a one way trip to 46º so

January 15th 2014

damn my prayers go out to you

dude if we hit 46.2 it'll break the record from 1939 m/

gon read this now

ShadowRemains

20476 Comments

this was the hidden unorthodox dm gem behind flourishing

January 15th 2014

yep good ass review would pos on my alts if i had any

January 15th 2014

Alts are for silly billies agreed.

@shadow, I think I just prefer this to Flourishing but I need to give them more listens.

'inimitable'

had to look that word up hehe

'imitating the supposedly inimitable, irrespective of the lack of originality required, is a remarkably impressive feat.'

fully agreed, all bands should strive for this imo unless they are like godly cover expertz

'Just like the aforementioned, Atrophy is a churning cacophony of warped rhythms and strange, sinister soundscapes.'

agreed if i remember correctly i appreciated this because it had such a strong jazz feel in various parts

'warped'

obvs my petpeve butt i do it too, perhaps switch up the word to 'contort' on the second warped so ass not to sound redundant?

'Atrophy is riddled with spontaneous segues, tempo shifts and atmospheric passages, utilising this demented concoction of instrumental mayhem and organic production to craft genuine suspense and then shattering it without warning.'

great line bro I'm loving the thought you bring to your writing. Great flow. Are you secretly an mc or part of the wu clan?

'Atrophy creates its own set of rules and abides accordingly, and though the result may appear superficially twisted, in actuality it is a cohesive and sensical (though abnormal) piece of work.'

this is a crucial sentence. Agreed! because[excuse my grammar, hey im not reviewing right now!] this confirms that we're in line for adventure with this butt it can still be deciphered. Man this rev is like sex. not sure if i should pos tho [:

In Conclusion: Great job man. You even pointed out why you didn't 5 this with the noted flaws or should I saw underachievements. OK OK OK you've beet it out off me. HAVE YOUR POS!!!

BUTT IF YOU DON'T CHECK MY HERE WITH ME COVER IM GOING TO CRY WHILE SINGING IT TO YOU EVERY NIGHT FOR THE REST OF YOOOURRR LLLIIIIYYYYFFFEEE

January 16th 2014

Thanks cap, didn't notice I repeated "warped" in 2 sentences. It's nice to have a review dissected with 90% compliments as well :D checking the cover now.

I love you.