Hexis
Abalam

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (198 Reviews)
January 15th, 2014 | 11 replies

Release Date: 01/11/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A wandering through the outreaches of blackened metal leaves the listener with certain anticipation.

More often than not, modern day metal is as come and go as daily singles found on a favourite radio station. Regardless of the matter, most are looking for metal that’s engaging, mildly innovative and is the right amount of intensity, atmosphere and ‘heaviness’ (especially when it comes to the more ‘extreme’ side of metal). From time to time those who listen to blackened metal, that unspecific term gets thrown about all too often and often to ill effect. Despite the vague umbrella term, “blackened” comes as a pretty great descriptor for Denmark’s Hexis. The band’s 2014 record, Abalam is a sludgy, gritty industrial affair built from the foundations of black metal and grind and what it lacks in original ideas it makes up for in atmosphere and presence. But with most good comes some disappointment. Abalam makes an impression but doesn’t build on the impact it has made for itself. The quality to be found in the record comes in its sweet brevity. The effect: the stranglehold on your throat releases before complete asphyxiation.

Despite being such a short release, Hexis still manage to squeeze twelve tracks down the throat of the listener in just over twenty-six minutes. It’s galvanizing to say the least that Abalam can accomplish something more than the initial effect. The album itself needs to be listened to again and again to be understood properly, let alone absorbed to a point of appreciation. Abalam is a dark, twisted outlay of industrialized black metal. It grinds on in torment, directing the album’s atmosphere in one sensational direction. Take the title track for example; it’s far from the longest track on the record but it showcases the band’s natural carminative, slamming energy before leading into another forward thinking track. For those unfamiliar with this band, the instrumental and vocal aspects meet the stereotypes perfectly. Snarling (mostly unintelligible) screams punch over the layers of distorted guitars and pummeling double bass passages.

Hexis will at times see like the run of the mill grinding black metal waiting for an opening slot on the world stage. Those with the same perception may be hindered by the fact that this group will let up instead of smothering the listener with a methane soaked pillow. It’s okay that Hexis don’t push the envelope too hard; it stops them from becoming overbearing or a walking, talking cliché. There’s no need for a climax as the band is constantly on a crescendo, at least til the album runs its course. Overall Abalam is a great album for the modern era of extreme blackened metal hailing from hardcore roots. Hexis has achieved a solid record where its flaws are far outweighed by the positives. Repeated listens sees better results and Abalam is another album worthy to be checked out early in the year.

Eden Circus MarulaIn Flames Siren Charms
Mastodon Once More 'Round the SunMayhem Esoteric Warfare
Architects Lost Forever // Lost TogetherKauan Pirut
Scott Murphy (3.5)
Auto-erotic asphyxiation without the climax....

XI
recommended by reviewer
Portal Outre
Anaal Nathrakh Vanatis

January 14th 2014

I need to write more. It's been a while

January 15th 2014

How's your site doing bro

Digging: Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme

January 15th 2014

Like I said, quiet. Things should pick up after all this holiday season is over.

Deviant.

There's a cross on the cover, must be witch house

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

January 15th 2014

That must a figure of speech or something because I don't see where you said that. Unless you're assuming I read something from a different list, which I obviously didn't.

Multifarious
January 15th 2014

"There’s no need for a climax as the band is constantly on a crescendo."

I agree with everything you said, except for that. Well written review.

January 15th 2014

That must a figure of speech or something

Just a very slack/lazy expression. How's things Capt?

There's a cross on the cover, must be witch house

Krosses R Kool! : ] Hey Dev!

I agree with everything you said, except for that.

Perception is key here, I'm not arguing with you but the perception of lead up's and building into something has become terribly predictable. Every man and his dog believes that if there's an up, there also must be a down with a peak somewhere in the middle. Not everything needs to climax in order to convey a feeling or message.

Multifarious
January 15th 2014

I'd agree with you, except the reason I "believe" that is because the music insinuates that that's what is going to (or should) happen next. There's a certain tension in these songs that never seems to release. I'd buy more into your argument if more of these songs were longer and this tense feeling was more fleshed out.

January 16th 2014

That's what I'm saying. It's belief. Now off to listen to some Feb, March and April 2014 releases.

Nikkolae
January 26th 2014

this shit is intense but it lacks something, cant quite put my finger on it, still its good

Digging: Cursed Graves - Western Blood

thelastsignal
July 15th 2014

I dig this quite a bit, pretty evil-sounding.