Stone Temple Pilots
Core

by Bwgrotha1s USER (26 Reviews)
January 13th, 2014 | 18 replies

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A fitting beginning for one of Grunge's greater late-arrivals.

If the Stone Temple Pilots' major-label debut "Core" had come before the likes of Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, or Alice in Chains, it would have dodged the onslaught of critical dispraise that trailed it through its commercial success. There is a clear knack within STP for turning songs into catchy arena-rock, and that is their edge over their big brother bands. This handy skill is responsible for the album's handful of 20-year radio-rock staples. "Dead and Bloated," "Sex Type Thing," "Wicked Garden," "Creep," and "Plush," are all singles that are well-known and enjoyed by the vast majority of modern-rock fans that were, at the latest, born in the 90s.

While "Core's" singles are exemplary of master songcraft, there are plenty of valid reasons critics choose to attack the album so persistently. Grunge stole the hearts and attention of hard rock fans so quickly with its handful of founders churning out top-notch albums every two years. By the time of "Core's" release, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains had each put out two studio albums at least. Simultaneously, Pearl Jam and Nirvana had each made their debuts and turned Grunge mainstream. Obviously all of these releases set the bar fairly high, and "Core" only wanders near it on the singles. The rest of the album is good, but almost none of it is anything that hadn't already been done at the time. Don't let this become too upsetting. The whole album is a smooth listen, but songs like "Naked Sunday" and "Piece of Pie" lack any major hook and aren't easy to defend past the point of "decent track." On tracks like "Sin" and "Crackerman" STP milks catchy hooks but in a cliche` manner that makes you wonder why you don't just listen to something more original. Nevertheless, they are great songs that could use just a little more ambition.

When it comes down to weighing the good and the bad however, you may find that "Core" is better than a lot of albums in your collection. Minus the two filler tracks, the album holds ten full songs. Five of these songs are the phenomenal singles, and five are all plain and simple good grunge songs. Nothing is bad or tough to tolerate, and as a whole, the album plays out well. The central complaint is that the five non-singles lack inventiveness strong enough to firmly distinguish STP outside of their radio relationships. Overall, the Stone Temple Pilots' debut is half superb, and half good, averaging it at great. Thankfully in the future, they secure their true role in Grunge and alternative rock on records such as "Purple" and "Tiny Music.."

Stone Temple Pilots PurpleMudvayne The End of All Things to Come
311 311311 Transistor
Chevelle La GargolaChevelle Vena Sera

slagun
January 13th 2014

''Piece of Pie'' is in no way a filler track

Dr7
January 13th 2014

Nice, clear review - you explain why it isn't 4.5-5 material (to you) well and don't use the imitator card that annoys me about critics reviews for this album. Pos'd.

It is a great album, but it always goes down more than that for me when I give it a proper listen. A favourite.

Digging: Bloodbath - Grand Morbid Funeral

ThrashTillDeath94
January 13th 2014

Good review, I generally agree with your assessment and rating, though I might personally rate it more near a 3 or so.

dannyboy89
January 13th 2014

Good review, although your arguments are more suggestive of a 4 rather than a 3.5.

Cracker Man destroys and Piece of Pie is a lost gem imo

dannyboy89
January 13th 2014

I guess I missed this point, it explains the reasoning on here.

January 13th 2014

Weiland always got bagged for ripping off Vedder but the first time I heard Dead and Bloated I thought he sounded a fuck of a lot more like Layne Staley.

DominionMM1
January 13th 2014

2 appearances in less than a week wtf hans?

January 13th 2014

I dont know dude, sweet avi

WARRIOR

DominionMM1

lol thanks man

been watching a ton of old wwf/wcw clips on youtube lately

Greyvy

creep is so goooood

Digging: The Brilliant Green - Los Angeles

SitarHero

Hans sighting!

Bwgrotha1s
January 13th 2014

haha i did not say piece of pie was a filler track!! I was referring to No memory and wet my bed

Kalopsia
January 13th 2014

this is at least a 4, yeah there's only 2 so-so tracks on here.. otherwise this is gold

sapient
January 13th 2014

I can't imagine I'm the only one who loves Dean Deleo's guitar tone on this record

Digging: Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out

ThrashTillDeath94
January 14th 2014

Actually 3.5 is a perfect rating for this. It has been ages since i last gave this a listen. I was like 13 when i first heard this.

Kalopsia
January 14th 2014

Dead and Bloated might be one of the best opening tracks ever though

conesmoke