Biohazard
Urban Discipline

by BlackLlama USER (40 Reviews)
January 10th, 2014 | 12 replies | 1,404 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Come on God, answer Me.... For years I'm asking you why? Why are the innocent dead and the guilty alive... Where is Justice, where is Punishment?

The early 90s were an odd musical era; trust me I was there. The metal scene in particular was an open playground of bands experimenting with different genre fusions; taking music to different parts of the masses. Anthrax and Public Enemy receive a lot of credit for marrying rap and metal (and deservedly so). So once the noise have been brought what were we to do then? One of the first answers to that question manifest itself in Brooklyn’s own Biohazard.

One of the first widely recognized bands to bring a fusion of metal, hardcore and rap Even Seinfeld and crew absolutely exploded in 1992 with the release of their seminal album Urban Discipline. The mix of down-tuned, simple punk chord progression and hardcore rap sensibilities brought something fresh to the masses. Heavy amounts of bass, and group chanting took the basis that Anthrax and PE made and turned the volume and violence way the *** up. This wasn’t happy rap music and thrash; it was hardcore punk and near gangster rap put into a blender. The band would later go on to collaborate with Onyx on the Judgment Night Soundtrack (one of the best things to come out of the 90s), but it was Urban Discipline that set the scene.

Urban Discipline is full of many of the Nu-Metal nuances and metal-core aspects that would saturate the industry a few years later, at the time this was release (1992) it was quite refreshing. “Thousands die and kill each other. Someone rapes and stabs their mother. I think it's sick to count the death toll. On and on the media rolls.” While not the best written rap every, it was socially relevant and delivered with enough genuine animosity to be believable. On top of the anger laden, social conscious lyrics is some incredibly fun hardcore punk, mixed with just enough metal to accentuate the group chanting and rap intermissions. Evan Seinfeld (bass, vocals) has a unique enough delivery with his Brooklyn saturated nuances to make even the cornier lines sound genuine. Billy Graziadei(guitars, vocals) joins on most tracks with a more punk scream/shout delivery that plays excellent counterpoint to Seinfelds quasi rapping. Bobby Hambel (guitar) and Danny Schuler (drums) round out the rhythm section and deliver an interesting, if not somewhat generic performance (expect a ton of China boy cymbal work).

It’s funny to look back on this release. I remember distinctly buying this back in 1992 after hearing Punishment on MTV and being floored. As a fan of many different music genres here was a band that was blending so many different styles seamlessly. Sitting and listening now in 2014 its age is definitely showing. As musical fans we are so over-stimulated now by the thousands of different genre’s that exist that it is hard to remember a simpler time when things like rap and metal just didn't go together. If you haven not listened to this in a while (or maybe you have not heard it yet) it is worth the trip down memory lane.

Overkill White Devil ArmoryBobby Jimmy and the Critters Ugly Knuckle Butt

11911 Comments

Good review, pos'd.

tempest--
January 10th 2014

gd record these guys rule... at least their old stuff does

PUNISHMENT

FOR ALL MY SINS

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

Davil667
January 10th 2014

Good review! Typo in 3rd paragraph though, it's Billy Graziadei not Graziadie ;) Great album and band!

BlackLlama
January 10th 2014

Hahah once instance where I should have just copied and pasted...

Digging: Cinderella - Heartbreak Station

Willie
January 10th 2014

I could never get into these guys. Good review, though.

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

piroga84
January 11th 2014

cool review!
a bit too U.S. gang culture for me but i felt they were sincere
yo but good

BlackLlama
January 11th 2014

I could never get into these guys. Good review, though.

This and Hardside wear about all I listened to. I did get to see them live with Sepultura and Pantera back in 94 though. The pits at that show were fantastic.

Davil667
January 13th 2014

Yes, they were and still are a great live band! Saw them the first time in 96 with Suicidal Tendencies and from then on at least three more times (last time in 2013). Always a fantastic experience and a thrilling performance! NYHC rulez!

xstaytrue18x
March 19th 2014

MUSIC FOR ME AND YOU NOT THE FUCKING INDUSTRY

Funeralopolis
May 17th 2014

Has some really good moments but overall kind of drags

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes