God Is An Astronaut
All Is Violent, All Is Bright

by Nick Mongiardo CONTRIBUTOR (74 Reviews)
January 7th, 2014 | 65 replies | 4,036 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A truly evocative masterpiece of post rock.

I'm sure everyone on this site has heard the incredibly cliche claim about how post rock belongs in a movie soundtrack. Even though that phrase is very overused, it still couldn't be anymore spot on. The beauty of post rock is how it makes you use your imagination to find out the overall meaning of the album. Much like Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor, this album really sells how music can have even more to say than music that has abundant lyrics. All Is Violent, All Is Bright is that powerful of an album all the way through. The album is a masterpiece from the start of the extremely inspiring opener all the way through to the heart wrenching closer.

The album cover is simply a blurry view of a man standing in snow and it fits the mood of the album perfectly. It's best listened to while walking around on a sunny day in the aftermath of a snow storm. The shiny white snow glistening in the sunlight best symbolizes the mood and atmosphere that this album effectively hoped to accomplish and indeed it does. From top to bottom everything comes together perfectly. Every texture and every powerful performance gives the album and listener an overall feeling of being larger than life. The guitar riffs are extremely dynamic and they build into beautiful crescendos in songs like "When Everything Dies" and the title track. The sound of the guitar playing is also incredibly unique in catchy songs like "Fireflies And Empty Skies." They often work hand in hand with the piano melodies to create these immense build ups. The ironically titled "Forever Lost" due to its happy and awe inspiring mood serves as the best example of one of these incredible builds and one simply wouldn't be able to function without the other. Though the song is repetitive, all of these textures mash together so remarkably well that you will forget about that and be mesmerized instead. The piano also serves as the centerpiece instrument in the albums sad place, "Remembrance Day." It has such a vast build up into a section that showcases some otherworldly sound effects that is sure to stun the listener.

"Suicide By Star," the best song on the album, utilizes extremely ominous and compelling rhythms that really sells the mood of walking into impending danger. The chilling, claustrophobic nature of the song epitomizes the overall feeling of anxiety so well and the climax evokes the exact nature of having a panic attack. The drums quickly build with every other texture and it soon explodes into a crescendo that you won't soon forget. The double bass coupled with the soaring electronic sound effects in the background are simply breathtaking. The tear jerking album closer, "When Everything Dies," utilizes the same aspects of 'Suicide By Star' using a much slower and less accessible build up. The piano quickly swells into an evocative rhythm slowly followed by a guitar that builds on the piano melody beautifully. The faint strings, soaring guitar riff, and stunning piano coming full circle is the perfect way to close out an album of this magnitude.

All Is Violent, All Is Bright is the reason I listen to music. These two songs are a testament of how music is not just simply a form of entertainment. Catharsis comes in many forms, but music is perhaps the best form of catharsis. I know this may seem a bit hyperbolic when you read it, but this is really how All Is Violent, All Is Bright makes me feel and I hope this is how it makes you feel too.

Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereAnberlin Lowborn
Greg Edmonson Uncharted 3: Drake's DeceptionDeftones White Pony
Deftones Around the FurDeftones Adrenaline
Jorn van Schaïk (4.5)
Movie climax music. But only the good ones....

Robert Bobson (4.5)
Remarkable in its catchiness and captivating in its brilliance, God is an Astronaut's second album i...

Old Uncle Al (3.5)

hogan900
January 7th 2014

Good write up man, I actually just listened to this yesterday. Pretty good stuff.
Pos

January 7th 2014

Thanks man! I tried my best to sum up Suicide By Star into words but it was hard haha

hogan900
January 7th 2014

Probably my favorite on the album too, its incredible. The rest is good, just not AS good. Ill probably 4.5 this on later listens.

Mad.
January 7th 2014

I did listen to most of this, didn't really hit me much though :/

REVIEW SOMETHING WITHOUT A REVIEW!!!

Digging: Dwellers - Pagan Fruit

January 7th 2014

Was feeling this today haha what do you have in mind?

Futures
January 7th 2014

I need to check this immediately.

Digging: Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation

Mad.
January 7th 2014

I ain't gonna tell ya what to review, but find something that doesnt have one already, I find it more satisfying when your review is the main one so people are actually gonna read it over time rather than just when you initially post it, plus you can give lesser known music some exposure amirite

January 7th 2014

Well yea that's what I mean. I don't really know of that many artists or albums without a review
though that's the problem :/

Futures you should man. I know you've been on a post rock streak lately so this is another essential.

treeqt.

listen to and then review my 5s and 4.5s please i want to spam their threads

GnarlyShillelagh
January 7th 2014

Been a while since I listened to this but suicide by star and Remembrance Day are two of the goat post rock joints

Digging: Your Old Droog - Your Old Droog

ksoflas
January 7th 2014

I am not a fan of track by track reviews but you did superb job.
Trully a masterpiece.
Good job man, pos'd.

fromtheinside
January 7th 2014

kind of broad review, didn't get a sense of what to expect really from reading except that this album is very powerful and exciting and awe inspiring

haven't listened to this in ages though

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

DrMaximus

Same :|

bach

11966 Comments

Smea

Digging: Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows

January 7th 2014

Fromtheinside, yea I understand. Post Rock reviews are difficult to write and I've only written 3 of
those in the past so they're tough to put into words.

DrMaximus

Cool review, Mong. Pos.

insomniac15
January 8th 2014

God, I wish the band would listen again to their first 2 records (arguably 3, Far From Refuge was good too) and realize where they went wrong in the last 6 years. Good review, pos.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

January 8th 2014

Thanks guys. I've only heard this and their newest and damn origins is so average compared to this

MO

rules

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

Futures
January 8th 2014

Checked this and it does indeed rule.