Legion of the Damned
Ravenous Plague

2.0
poor

by Josh Fountain CONTRIBUTOR (64 Reviews)
January 7th, 2014 | 33 replies

Release Date: 01/07/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Monotony is their business, and business is a-booming

Thrash is never going to be an innovative genre. There is precious little new ground to tread, and as a result, most newer bands just try to outriff each other and do their best Kreator or Sodom impression. This is a fine plan if you are writing exciting riffs, however this is a death knell for a band without it. Legion of the Damned is a thrash band from the Netherlands who aren’t too well known, and probably for good reason. For the past ten years (twenty if counting their time as Occult, when they were basically the exact same band but with a female vocalist) LotD has been releasing the same brand of thrash: an unvaried, done to death ripoff of better bands that crafted better riffs. A lot of bands can combat their lack of originality by just playing balls out at all times, however LotD just don’t seem to have the energy to pull off such a feat. Ravenous Plague is a continuance of past failures, showing a band with a steadfast refusal to tweak or change their assault, all while not having the songwriting skills to keep themselves above water.

After an attempt at an epic intro (which sounds like a discarded Septic Flesh passage), the album is kicked off by “Howling For Armageddon”, which basically lets the listener know exactly what is in store for 45 minutes: a repetitive slog through the depths of mediocre thrash riffs. Most songs follow the exact same pattern of chugging, all while the vocalist, sounding at times like he wants to be Martin Van Drunen, growls monotonously. The length of the songs are the real death knell for LotD, as almost every song is well over for minutes, yet it is almost always the same riff repeated for the duration. There are also a couple downright confusing decisions on the album; for example, “Doom Priest” starts off sounding exactly like Dethklok, with identical vocals to boot, before launching into a slowed down version of every song that preceded it.

Monotony reigns supreme throughout the entirety of Ravenous Plague. The same three or four uninspired riffs show up in track after track, leaving the listener wondering if they’ve just been listening to the same song over and over. Legion of the Damned must think that they’ve settled into a songwriting groove, unfortunately that “groove” is writing every song with the exact same tempo, ad nauseam. If the band was doing something innovative or different, then maybe the monotony could be overlooked a bit, but they are just playing run of the mill, Sodom aping thrash. When a band that is neither interesting nor original, the least they can do is make it a fun ride, something Legion of the Damned is incapable of doing.

Beach Slang Cheap Thrills On A Dead End StreetLinkin Park The Hunting Party
Powerman 5000 Builders of the FutureLord Mantis Death Mask
Chuck Ragan Till MidnightPerfect Pussy Say Yes to Love
2.7

January 7th 2014

One of the most boring thrash albums I've ever heard.

Brostep
January 7th 2014

whoa josh fountain on Sput and not in mezz? what happened

Digging: Nicki Minaj - The Pinkprint

January 7th 2014

I still spend way more time Mezzing

klap

what's going on here

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

Mad.
January 7th 2014

We ain't in the prisoner takin' business, we in the killin' Nazi business, and cousin, business is a boomin'

renegadestrings

summary was lulz

BlackLlama
January 7th 2014

I agree completely, some of their older stuff is decent, but this was painfully mundane.

zaruyache
January 8th 2014

Neg for Megadeth reference.

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

tempest--
January 8th 2014

I love thrash and I've never even heard of these dudes until now so they must be shit

ThrashTillDeath94
January 8th 2014

Some quick errors I noticed.

"as almost every song is well over for minutes,"
Think you meant "four minutes"

"When a band that is neither interesting nor original, the least they can do is make it a fun ride,"
Just add in "You have" after when.

All in all, good job on the review. Your work reminds me a lot of my own. The review was straight to the point and used a very casual style that works well.

And I definitely won't be checking this one out.

Digging: Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

ThrashTillDeath94

Pos'd

JustinKing
January 8th 2014

Completely forgot about this band. Their first two albums were all I've heard by them, and they were painfully boring. I'm assuming their sound has only gotten more tiring. Good review, pos'd.

XfingTheSullen
January 8th 2014

You wrote "over for minutes" instead of "four". Interesting review, sounds like a shit band

TheSpirit
January 8th 2014

you use death knelll twice which pretty much kills the phrases impact. you should switch the second one, it flows better with the first one

XfingTheSullen
January 9th 2014

yeah, use something like "the final nail to their coffin" or something

psyclonus
January 10th 2014

these guys have always been boring

Azn.
January 14th 2014

great tagline

describes gorguts perfectly

January 14th 2014

oh u

The3015thVermicide
January 15th 2014

I can't mosh, thrash, shred and slay chavs with this, album is boring as hell, duh.

Iluvatar
January 15th 2014

worst summary you HACK delete your browsers