Sky Ferreira
Night Time, My Time

by fish USER (45 Reviews)
January 7th, 2014 | 27 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

With all the hype surrounding the admittedly gorgeous “Everything Is Embarrassing” in late 2012, it's easy to forget the four other tracks on Ghost EP. Whilst everyone expected Sky Ferreira’s much anticipated début to take after the longing synthpop of her breakout single, the rest of the EP hinted at a more divided creative mind-set, especially when put in the context of her reluctance to fit the inoffensive teen-pop blueprint her label had her prepared for (see As If!). “Sad Dream” and “Ghost” featured a heavier use of guitars, “Lost In My Bedroom” led with a thick electronic groove and the grunge-influenced “Red Lips” was the most energetic of all.

It’s this latter track Night Time, My Time takes after the most (which is interesting considering it was the only track off Ghost Ferreira had no part in writing). Unlike that track though, Night Time, My Time doesn’t really burn with the same passion. Maybe Ferreira was tired of having her début so frequently delayed and just wanted to rush a full-length out she could finally put her name too (most of the album was written and recorded only in August), or maybe she just wanted to break the mould her label had wanted to grow her into. Indeed, the subsequent marketing around Night Time, My Time has revolved primarily around Sky Ferreira as a Debbie Harry-esque rebel, and photos of her coloured hair and a punk appearance have replaced the sultry black and white imagery that dominated her persona since Ghost. Whilst it’s understandable and admirable to take control of your own art, the problem with writing songs based around deliberately inaccessible anti-hooks is that, unless you’re really good at writing them, they don’t really work well as hooks. So whilst I can listen to Night Time, My Time and analyse her own take on her art and her self-empowerment and her ironic sexualisation or whatever, on a more practical level I’d rather just listen to something whose main aim is to be enjoyable. Like Ghost. I guess the title track has a nice brooding atmosphere, lead single “You’re Not The One” has a fun “Girls Just Want To Have Fun” swagger to it and “Boys” and “I Blame Myself” (probably the song that adheres to the album’s sound least of all and definitely the catchiest) are kinda cool, but otherwise Night Time, My Time feels little more than a statement with some messy guitar riffs and boring vocal hooks.