Morgue Orgy
The Last Man On Earth

by Brabiz USER (7 Reviews)
January 3rd, 2014 | 9 replies

Release Date: 01/13/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Last Man on Earth has very obvious influences from horror films and succeeds greatly in creating a gothic atmosphere, wether it be through it's massive, symphonic synth and organ solos, or the song lyrics themselves.

Instrumentally, this album is nothing short of amazing. It's technical, fast, heavy, melodic, and there are even some fantastic solos tossed into the mix. At times it feels like Cattle Decapitation, while at times it feels like The black Dahlia Murder, both comparisons work together to make a truly memorable album. There are pulverizing moments of shear, in your face brutality; moments which left me in awe. A prime example being how awesome the random saxophone on the title track is.

The vocal performances on The Last Man on Earth are nothing unheard of in the realm of death metal. But despite that, the vocals get the job done better than one would expect.

Some of the tracks like '70 Dead Part 2- The Scarecrow of Medan' are solely there to be an aural onslaught, others take a more melodic approach while maintaining their unrelenting heaviness, a prime example being the fourth track 'The Last of the Summers Wine' which also happens to be the album's high point in my opinion with it's epic solo, short acoustic interlude and it's fantastic ending.

Despite having many high points, a few tracks such as 'Paradise' and 'Castle Freak' seem to slow the album down and are almost completely forgettable. Another problem I had with this album is the lack of re-playability; each of the songs are fantastic in their own right, but when the album is listened to as a whole, it seems to drag on and becomes stale after repeated listens.

The Last man on Earth is definitely one of the best death metal releases of 2013 and should be heard by anyone who's either a fan of Cattle Decapitation, The Black Dahlia Murder, or melodic death metal in general.

4/5

Fireworks Oh, Common LifeThe Willow & The Builder The Willow & The Builder
Blood on the Dance Floor Bad BloodMotionless in White Infamous
Asking Alexandria From Death to DestinyAll Human Catholic Guilt or the Queerest of Thoughts

CK
January 3rd 2014

Is there a stream somewhere?

Digging: Death - Human

TheSpirit
January 3rd 2014

oh, youre one of "those" death metal fans... this sounds horrible imo and the review is at timesridiculous, but not all that bad.

January 3rd 2014

the band does have the album available for free download on their website. http://www.morgueorgy.co.uk

January 3rd 2014

What kind of death metal fan is that? I honestly don't like The Black Dahlia Murder, i prefer classic death metal. I.e. Entombed, Hypocrisy, Monstrosity, Morbid Angel, Vital Remains. This album really isn't all that bad.

TheSpirit
January 3rd 2014

you should somehow work that into your review it would make it sound a lot more appealing to know that people who are also into classic death metals would like this as well.

January 3rd 2014

Thanks for the tip, I see what you mean. I really appreciate it!

Pheromone
January 3rd 2014

That summary is longer than some of your "paragraphs"

Digging: Squirrel Bait - Skag Heaven

Shoot me.

SadAndHolyGlow
January 4th 2014

Good review. It gets its point across, even with the syntax and spelling errors. Pos'd. I'm checking this album out.