TesseracT
Altered State

by kidthatplaysguitar91 USER (2 Reviews)
December 29th, 2013 | 85 replies

Release Date: 05/27/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 'Altered State' is Tesseract improving upon an already epic sound. The new all-clean vocals aren't for everyone, but they certainly fit the music.

'One' by Tesseract was one of the first 'djent' related albums I heard that featured mostly clean vocals, and managed to stand apart from most of the other releases in the genre. The epic clean guitar tones, the poppy rhythmic parts that did more than just 0-000-00, the vocal dynamics, the 6 song concept mini-album inside the album. How could they possibly top this while getting a new singer at the same time?

With the departure of Dan Tompkins, I was very scared as to what would happen to this band that I loved so much. While the instrumental aspect of their music certainly stood for itself, Dan Tompkins added a vocal element that was almost certainly irreplaceable. However, the release of 'Nocturne' killed all skepticism I had about this band disappearing into the abyss of growing djent bands. Starting with the ballsy djent tone that we come to expect from Tesseract, grooving like a mo' fo', it got me PUMPED. Vocalist Ashe O'Hara managed to do 100% clean vocals (no rasp or screams), without making the album less metal.

The overall sound of 'Altered State' makes me feel like i'm pounding a hammer onto a piece of metal while sitting outside on a grassy hill away from civilization, there are birds and other animals wandering about with me, all while day goes to night and the seasons change. Now, all corny comparisons aside.... The rhythmic aspect of this album is just ballsy, and nothing else describes it better than that. Every song has something that makes you want to move in some way. The melodic backdrop on top of the rhythm sets up the perfect scene for O'Hara to write some of the catchiest vocals you will EVER hear in metal. Adding to this even more, the layering of the vocals creates a really interesting feel and really fills up the sound.

Comparing 'Altered State' to 'One'.... "Altered State' is groovier, catchier, and features a much bigger range of emotions. The clean guitars are better, and almost makes it feel like one is watching a movie and this is the soundtrack; there were several times during my first playthrough of this album when I actually wondered, 'holy *** was that guitar?!' (gotta love that Axe-Fx). The vocals are not as dynamic (no rasp or screams), but the extra catchiness and level of vocal layering makes up for it. With guitar being my main instrument, I also just HAVE to point out that the guitar parts in this album absolutely crush the guitar parts in 'One'. They are much more diverse, they flow into each other very well, they push the song forward, they provide an epic sonic landscape, and they will get stuck in your head like a vocal part. Oh, and did I mention that they're ballsy? (yes I did)

Songs to check out:
Proxy
Nocturne
Exile
Resist

If it wasn't completely obvious, this album blew my mind. It is one of my favorite albums of 2013, and quite possibly one of my favorite albums of all time. I could rave about this album all day, and in fact I had to delete several paragraphs of ranting to prevent myself from sounding like too much of a fanboy. To me, this album is THAT good. I would recommend this album to anyone, even people that aren't usually into metal.

December 29th 2013

artwork looks funny on the front page

sixdegrees
December 29th 2013

grooving like a mo' fo', it got me PUMPED

Digging: Satomimagae - Koko

sixdegrees
December 29th 2013

did you copy and paste this from ultimateguitar.com

December 29th 2013

do you go to ultimateguitar frequently

I hated geometry

Digging: Pet Shop Boys - Please

Jacquibim
December 29th 2013

"The overall sound of 'Altered State' makes me feel like i'm pounding a hammer onto a piece of metal while sitting outside on a grassy hill away from civilization, there are birds and other animals wandering about with me, all while day goes to night and the seasons change"

Metaphor of the year

Digging: Blaspherian - Upon The Throne of Eternal Blasphemous Death

tommygun
December 29th 2013

if you were making that kinda noise the birds n animals would either flee or kill you so not rlly

December 29th 2013

I need to check this out.

December 29th 2013

seasons always change we are just to quick to notice

tempest--
December 29th 2013

dude of course Ashe didn't make this album less metal because the band couldn't possibly be any less metal

December 29th 2013

It seems proggy and djent. I agree there is little metal in it. Like it so far.

December 29th 2013

It seems proggy and djent.

You can say this with one word next time.

Shit.

Jacquibim
December 29th 2013

This is kinda really fucking shit though

December 29th 2013

It not groundbreaking, but can't see rating it lower than a 2.5.

tempest--
December 29th 2013

not everyone has the same taste as you idiot

Yeah

IDIOT

Calc
December 29th 2013

this art is a good lock screen wall paper.

December 29th 2013

Calc, that very well may be the best contribution this album will ever provide me. I needed a new lock screen photo.

MO

19078 Comments

December 29th 2013

Not adding to my ratings but would have been a 2.5.