Trivium
Vengeance Falls

good

by dismember55 USER (6 Reviews)
December 29th, 2013 | 24 replies | 1,134 views

Release Date: 10/15/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Accessible, Structured, but not bad at all

After listening to Vengeance Falls, one thing is clear; Trivium are moving towards accessible, mainstream rock/metal, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're selling out.

Instead of the metalcore style of playing that was on their previous effort, In Waves, Trivium have a more melodic, hard rock approach. There are more clean vocals, with screams only in the background or in the bridge of a song. The guitar and drum work is reminiscent of In Waves, but it seems simpler and mixed differently compared to that album. The guitar work is decent, with good solos here and there, but there are chugging riffs throughout, waiting for vocals to come in. The drumming is anything but stellar, but there isn't much creative room allowed in mainstream music.

Each song is structured with verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus, which doesn't come to much of a surprise, and doesn't lead to many surprises through the album. Nonetheless, the songs are catchy and anthemic, with simpler lyrics than previous albums, yet they aren't childish and bland.

One thing that is criticized about the album is the major lack of screamed or growled vocals. This is what many consider the 'sell out' of this album. This actually does the opposite, making for more room for a wider vocal range from Matt Heafy, and a stronger voice, as it isn't weakened from screaming. Screaming is a trend in most metal music today, and many forget it didn't start out with screaming. However, many forget this and immediately assume when screaming is lacked, a band is selling out.

This album represents a major change in the music from Trivium, with structures and more singing. But with this, there is a major resemblance to Disturbed. This is because the album was produced by Disturbed vocalist David Draiman. He was a major influence on the vocals and structures in the album. Songs like 'No Way to Heal' and 'To Believe' are prime examples of this. But nonetheless, David's production has a large impact on the album, which promoted the mainstream sound of Vengeance Falls.

Vengeance Falls is Trivium's attempt at becoming a mainstream act. While many consider this a sellout, this album is getting more hate than it should be. A lack of Screaming and some simpler instrumental work doesn't exactly mean its mainstream and crap, but it means for a catchier release.

Recommended Tracks:

Five Finger Death Punch The Wrong Side of Heaven... Vol. 2
2.8
good

December 28th 2013

Any criticism is appreciated! Hopefully a step up from my first review...

December 28th 2013

I'm not sure if I should check this out or not. I didn't like most of their releases and this seems like a step backward.

December 28th 2013

I didn't think that your first review was that bad, especially for a first.

December 28th 2013

It is a step backward, but it's not terrible like The Crusade. That was literally a bad Metallica rip off, save for a few tracks.

SlMBOLlC

pre bad generic fluff

SnakeDelilah

Cheesy as fuck.

Digging: Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

December 28th 2013

Yeah, I'll probably stay away from this one.

December 28th 2013

Don't really blame you. Wasn't the greatest listen because it felt like a watered down Disturbed record.

SlMBOLlC

ughwhat a horrible concept

December 29th 2013

What, that it's a watered down Disturbed record? If so... It is.

Jacquibim
December 29th 2013

Listened to 2 minutes and got the impression I'd pretty much heard the whole album so I stopped then and there.

Digging: Krusseldorf - Fractal World

December 29th 2013

It just sounds the same. At least with previous albums it sounded somewhat different each song...

FiveLeavesLeft
December 29th 2013

Nice review. I have absolutely no desire to listen to this, despite enjoying previous releases by the band

December 29th 2013

It was honestly disappointing, but decent. Oh well. There's always Shogun and Ascendancy.

SnakeDelilah
December 29th 2013

'Wasn't the greatest listen because it felt like a watered down Disturbed record.'

Well, David Draiman did produce this album, so.....

Poet
December 29th 2013

I quote enjoyed this album. Yeah it's generic but Trivium has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Good car riding music.

Yazz_Flute
December 29th 2013

I had forgotten that Trivium had released an album this year.

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

MoosechriS
December 29th 2013

how did these dudes go from Shogun to this shit????

Toondude10
December 29th 2013

"Trivium are moving towards accessible, mainstream rock/metal"

"Vengeance Falls is Trivium's attempt at becoming a mainstream act"

Fun Fact!: Trivium has always been a mainstream band. Can't understand why people don't know that.

Not a bad review, but try not to do more than one review in one day. It just makes you look like you're trying to make a name for yourself.

Digging: Hey Rosetta! - Seeds

hogan900
December 29th 2013

Why does this have two pages of reviews