Pixies
EP1

2.0
poor

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (96 Reviews)
December 28th, 2013 | 37 replies

Release Date: 09/03/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Queen is Dead, The Smiths are dead, and for better or for worse, the Pixies live.

There's a quote from a film that coincidently came out the same year as Pixies marquee album Doolittle that fits this album extremely well. The quote is from the 1989 Stephen King adaptation "Pet Sematary," and reads as follows: "Sometimes, dead is better." Before Pixies were dead and in the ground they were an influential alternative rock band that abruptly broke up after releases four albums and one EP in a five year span. When a band dissolves after a short amount of time chock full of great material, the question "What could have been?" always arrises, but honestly, Pixies breaking up in 1993 was probably for the better. The Boston based band's final two albums Bossanova and Trompe le Monde while both great, were mere shadows of the landmark albums that came before them, and it was clear that the band was losing steam fast. Band leader Frank Black released two great solo albums after the death of Pixies, but that's about all he had in them, as the rest of his material is rather average. So with all that in mind, why did a band that could barely survive the 90s and that was completely absent in the 2000s decide to start recording new material in the 2010s? I have no clue, but all I know is that EP1 isn't very good and makes me wish Pixies had stayed dead.

EP1 consists of four songs that range from average to bad and have no discernible qualities that link them together; they may have been written over a 15 year span for all I know. "Andro Queen" is passable but completely forgettable, "Another Toe" is awful, "Indie Cindy" has the band's signature surf rock guitar chords and a strong and beefy lead guitar riff, but its forced spoken word vocals and obnoxiously long run time ruin any potential it may have had. The closer "What Goes Boom" sounds like a band that doesn't know what they're doing, trying way too hard to be heavy, and it simply doesn't work. There's really no reason for this album to exist: it's uninspired, laughably short, lacks any sort of cohesion, and Kim Deal isn't even a part of it. It might as well be yet another average Frank Black solo record, but once you slap the Pixies name on it, certain expectations arise, and the quality of this record doesn't even come close to matching those expectations.

The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereModest Mouse The Lonesome Crowded West
Modest Mouse This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think AboutViper the Rapper You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
Have Mercy A Place Of Our OwnPianos Become the Teeth Keep You

Agreed this sucks

Digging: Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Would give it like a 2.3 if I could

December 27th 2013

damn not every band can come back as hard as dino eh? rip

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

TronaldDump
December 27th 2013

Not every band can come back as hard as My Bloody Valentine.

Bet porch would .1 this if he could

i dont hate the pixies as much as you seem to think

Graveyard
December 28th 2013

Frank Black has some balls to start it off this Pixies release with a ballad

"Andro Queen" doesn't even attempt to compete with classics like "Debaser" and "Bone Machine"

December 28th 2013

i actually thought the solo records he was putting out over the last few years had some pretty good songs. "garbage heap" would've been a way more suitable pixies song than any of these

December 28th 2013

and nearly 10 years of on/off touring with no new material to show for it was pretty embarrassing already. review makes it seem like they just came back out of nowhere to release this

bach
December 28th 2013

I still haven't heard this.

Digging: Tinashe - Aquarius

rasputin

yeah this sux big time

i dont hate the pixies as much as you seem to think

Yeah I know. it's just that given your opinion towards Doolittle, and this being 1000 times less engaging or creative (and seemingly a passionless, money-grubbing ordeal, which is totally wrong in my eyes) than that, I imagined you to be strongly opposed to it.

suppatime
December 28th 2013

everything but indie cindy was pretty meh

tommygun
December 28th 2013

serious treb do you ever ever proofread

Digging: Banks - Goddess

December 28th 2013

why not just tell me what's wrong with it damn

Rowan5215
December 28th 2013

""Andro Queen" is passable but completely forgettable, "Another Toe" is awful"
Good to know you're putting some effort into describing the music

Digging: Sharon Van Etten - Are We There

December 28th 2013

"Pet Sematary," and reads as follows: "Sometimes, dead is better."

Pixies were an influential alternative rock band that abruptly broke up after releases four albums
and one EP in a five year span.

I find this really jarring and awkward of a transition, which is a shame because that introduction
is
great. just my 2 cents. should prob be 2 paragraphs, plus itd beef out your review a bit more

tommygun
December 28th 2013

will do when i'm not on me phone :]

tempest--
December 28th 2013

I thought Bagboy was part of this... is that just a stand-alone single then?