Cloudkicker
Let Yourself Be Huge

by Nick Mongiardo CONTRIBUTOR (74 Reviews)
December 26th, 2013 | 83 replies | 2,914 views

Review Summary: For anyone seeking out uplifting music look no further.

In a discography that was dominated by heavy post metal at the time, "Let Yourself Be Huge" was a breath of fresh air. Ben Sharp showed us that he had absolutely no problem creating heavy music. After listening to two incredible records in a row, it was clear that he dug himself into an impressive niche, but it is always a fantastic idea to switch things up every once in a while. This time around we get one of the most uplifting albums ever created that is delivered to us through unexpectedly soothing guitar melodies and an overall pleasant atmosphere. Basically, imagine an entire album of songs like 'It's Just Wide-Open Field' from "Beacons" and that is essentially "Let Yourself Be Huge" in a nutshell. From the perfect way the album art showcases the mood to the stunning way it ends, this record soars.

Instrumental music often has a power that no other genre could ever duplicate. It is capable of mirroring some of your memories and it makes you experience them again in unexpected ways. In this case, "Let Yourself Be Huge" brings out all of the beloved memories that you will always remember. As soon as the beautiful acoustic guitar kicks off in 'Welcome Back,' it's very clear that Sharp was going for something along these lines. Rest assured, it's impossible to not feel something uplifting or some sort of catharsis while listening to this. It's also extremely impressive how this record manages to accomplish all of this in just under twenty six minutes.

It alternates between interludes that are under two minutes and longer pieces that make up the meat of the record. Each piece of music brings something new to the table. 'Explore, Be Curious' utilizes extremely catchy guitar riffs that have a very unique sound to them while one of the highlights of the record, 'The Word Water,' showcases a pleasantly gentle acoustic guitar riff. Granted, the record as a whole is driven by guitar, but make no mistake that it's bursting at the seams with variety and amazing build ups like in 'It's Inside Me, and I'm Inside It.' The song starts out with just a simple acoustic guitar, but it builds into an incredibly soothing crescendo. The bass also really adds to the uplifting atmosphere and the rhythms that Sharp programmed into the music help bring everything full circle. The fact that Sharp doesn't seek out a session drummer to play his music really shows what a talented musician that he is. He accomplishes all of this music by himself as a one man band and this record reveals how passionate he is for his art.

Out of every song on "Let Yourself Be Huge" the song you will be floored by is the title track and what a way to end an album like this. It epitomizes happiness in every way possible and once the song crescendos into a tear jerking guitar riff at the 1:47 mark all you will feel is euphoria. It also boasts a complex drumming performance and vocals that come in out of nowhere that add to the euphoric atmosphere in unexpected ways. Perhaps this is the song that best sums up the record as a whole and it is the ultimate feel good piece to end this short but sweet record. Even with all of these fantastic aspects mentioned, the record still isn't for everyone due to its overwhelmingly short length and how it's technically not the most eventful album. However, if anyone is ever feeling depressed or sad, this is the album to listen to.

Anberlin LowbornGreg Edmonson Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Deftones White PonyDeftones Around the Fur
Deftones AdrenalineLinkin Park The Hunting Party
Puzzles (3.5)
Big things come in hidden packages....

Sean Milo (3.5)

t/t owns soooooo hard.

Digging: Sleepmakeswaves - Love of Cartography

MikeC26
December 26th 2013

Never dug this or fade at all

But good review dude

RivalSkoomaDealer
December 26th 2013

This grew off me a bit but its still a great listen.

Digging: Electric Citizen - Sateen

December 26th 2013

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Yea mike like I said its not for everyone, it's at least you appreciate it a little.

Killerhit

anything for you mongi

Mad.
December 26th 2013

Damn bro, you are prolific as shiieeet.
Might check this, didn't like the heaviness of his other records.

I'm getting that you like instrumental music, check Solterra - Umbra. sorry for bombarding you with recs recently but this is one of the best things I've ever heard, pretty much perfection on every level and by Sputnik's very own Twichtly

Digging: Dwellers - Pagan Fruit

December 26th 2013

Haha I take it once a week is a lot? And once rec at a time bro haha I'm still enjoy TPT :D

Of course man post rock is an amazing genre.

jmnewcomer18
December 26th 2013

Great review, bro! Check out the band "Long Distance Calling" sometime. Great stuff.

December 26th 2013

Says a similar band is GIAA. Sounds promising.

Ecnalzen
December 26th 2013

NICE. I be so proud of you for reviewing Cloudkicker, Mongi. Glad you ended up liking this.

December 26th 2013

Dude it's such a great record. I like it a little more than The Discovery.

And I'm glad you ended up loving All is Violent, All is Bright btw!

Ecnalzen
December 26th 2013

Duuuuuude. That record is pretty phenomenal. I don't know what it is about it, but I likes. It almost feels like a movie soundtrack.

I know this has been said before, but the fucking title track on this...

Damn.

Yeah title track is best song here but The Word Water is a close second

December 26th 2013

Yea man the title track is a masterpiece.

That record is movie music at it's finest. Idk what it is about it either. It's so simple yet so complex. It's also pretty unique.

SnakeDelilah
December 26th 2013

Yet another masterpiece by Mongi123. Thumbs up.

Digging: Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

December 26th 2013

Haha thanks bro. You like Cloudkicker at all?

December 26th 2013

Thanks for writing this so I remembered to jam this, haven't jammed it in too long. It's still perfect and it really cheered me up so thank you.