The Psyke Project
Guillotine

by fromtheinside USER (127 Reviews)
December 24th, 2013 | 21 replies | 1,762 views

Release Date: 05/06/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: probably as hard as a guillotine swing

For the longest I've wanted to talk about The Pyske Project but I had nothing to say. Now maybe it’s because I was having a serious case of writers block, or maybe I wasn’t really sure what it was that The Pyske Project prompts to me want to say, but dammit if I didn’t want to say it. I have hardly any audacity left to declare this album as anything groundbreaking for hardcore, because both Kvelertak and Nails released albums this year, and yes, I hardly know if I like this album as much as I say I think I like this album, but I do know one thing and that’s that I like talking about thinking I like this album as much as I say I think I do. This is the kind of madness The Psyke Project instigates. They burrow through your ears till you feel them rupturing your brain with riffs and ridiculous vocals. Much of Guillotine is something that I don’t even know how to prepare you for; it’s angry, loud, slow, fast, angry but most importantly, really fucking good.

To be frank the band’s very NSFW video is what finally gave me some bode of confidence in representing this bands first review. I saw, physically, that they were not a shock and awe band just to shock and awe, but actually had a vision to their creepiness. The lot of them naked writhing in mud staring blankly into the camera, something leeched onto my bones upon watching their video. This isn’t your average metalcore band, and as the thought crept in I started to see their brand of core differ very well against their peers. This band represents the hardcore in metal probably more than any band before them.

Their grime is laced with intricate time changes and a superior front man. They play songs that drop the bass because that’s all this band can ever know. Between “The End”, which just riffs so ridiculously, and “Partisan” the band cement themselves as true contenders to the scene; The Project know how to use a bass and are less than afraid to use it and its with this mentality they score so easily. When this band isn’t riffing they’re probably too busy setting up one, check out “Empire" which uses its density to puff up the band larger than they are before ultimately showing you a ginormous package of riffs and dissonance - fun for the whole family!

Guillotine is a hefty pill to swallow, as it’s longer in spots that it shouldn’t be, and shorter where it should grow but its punch is so hard it makes you forget things like that. The Psyke Project understand that repitition can be a useful tool as they cleverly play the same riff throughout the entirety of “Ghost Fight” but elevate it so that its climax is worthy of the build. What I’m really trying to say is this song is so fucking heavy without saying this is so fucking heavy. And yes, I only want to say that to set up the terrible transition towards how this band defy themselves with not-so-heavy song “When Man Became God” – which will only attract viewers to repeatedly listen because of the fooling name; and, yes, while it is only a guitar instrumental it does fit the context of the album well enough, if it only lulls you out of safety for the complete barrage that follows, “Good For Nothing” (no relation to former title).

Here’s what we know: we know that God isn’t not real, and we’ve learned that a bass really does make a difference in a metalcore band *cough*metalcore*cough*. Essentially what The Psyke Project is able to further prove is that hardcore may make the genre more interesting than most initially thought. With metals heavy use of flair and with hardcore’s gang-chants no one ever thought the reason for a breakdown would be the reason to explore the riff. The Pyske Project is here to say… something, but again I don’t know.