Moving Mountains
Moving Mountains

good

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (101 Reviews)
December 23rd, 2013 | 39 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Moving Mountains used to be gritty. There was a backbone and high level of resolve in their music, tucked safely behind their unique blend of post-rock, post-hardcore, and indie rock. Songs could get soft and slow and occasionally lose focus, but there was always an outstanding crescendo just waiting to appear out of the woodwork and save whatever song or album in which it was contained. Moving Mountains are no longer that band, as their third full length self titled album is essentially the auditory equivalent of downing half a bottle of Nyquil, which is not necessarily a bad thing because hey, sometimes naps are nice.

Moving Mountains' first two releases Pneuma and Foreword cleverly walked the line between post-rock, ambient atmosphere, tenacious post-hardcore, and indie rock. Most of the post-rock and ambient facets were swiftly abandoned on the group's sophomore release Waves, which contained some great tracks, but was overall lacking compared to the band's previous body of work. Moving Mountains' newest release suffers from the same problems, but is instead exclusively rooted in acoustic based soft rock while abandoning all progress made on Waves. The first three songs "Swing Set," "Burn Pile," and "Hands" showcase Moving Mountains' newer slowed down, relaxing sound well, but this approach quickly becomes old once the 6th and 7th tracks rear their ugly heads. The last two tracks "Chords" and "Apsides" are nice, but I'm usually passed out by the time they come around. Pneuma was the band's only great full length album and I've started to believe that it was a fluke and that the band should stick to taking the three or four great songs their capable of making and release them as an EP. Ultimately just like Nyquil, Moving Mountains is best taken in small doses, because if you drink the whole bottle you're going to be out for days.

Defeater AbandonedMain Attrakionz 808s and Dark Grapes III
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) What It Takes to Move ForwardFrom First to Last Dead Trees
Dance Gavin Dance Instant GratificationTitle Fight Hyperview
Daniel Davis CONTRIBUTOR (5)
Drenched in echo, excessively emotional, and absolutely perfect....

December 23rd 2013

I'm only three months late on this review, but yeah here you go

ShitsofRain

i like short reviews

Digging: Karen Gwyer - Bouloman

NocteDominum
December 23rd 2013

Droppin' dingers left and right.

Now I can focus on my top 50 blurbs

Storm In A Teacup

so this is emo

demigod!
December 23rd 2013

this band has always bored me

"so this is emo"

Not anymore

bakkermaarten007
December 23rd 2013

"Just listen to The Appleseed Cast instead"
Got it. =)

Storm In A Teacup
December 23rd 2013

watching the cascade music video now

minty901
December 23rd 2013

guess i'll post my review for this too.

JS19
December 23rd 2013

Awful review treb... Their first album is the one you moan is too like The Appleseed Cast. This one isn't even the same genre? Did you even listen to it?

Digging: Carly Rae Jepsen - E MO TION

December 23rd 2013

This is something your mom would listen to

minty901
December 23rd 2013

cba to post my review on sputnik so ill just link to it on the site i wrote it for. my review actually mentions it being something your mum would listen to haha:

Omaha
December 23rd 2013

I can't speak for the influences aspect of the review, but the descriptions contained are fair and well-written. But summaries like this one (as well as the previous one) make a review like this come across as being written just to piss off fanboys, even though the content here is actually pretty good

December 23rd 2013

I have trouble writing summaries for short reviews that speak for themselves. I should probably just put nothing.

December 23rd 2013

that other guy complained though

I just can't win

Omaha
December 23rd 2013

I do this sometimes, because it can be hard to think of a concise way to sum up a review. I sometimes just pick a couple words as a placeholder.

I do get why you pick the summaries you do, because they grab peoples' attention-- I just don't think that's the kind of writing you should necessarily strive for. I also don't want you to get discouraged here, because this is one of the best reviews I've seen from you in awhile

tommygun

dude proofread

Digging: Foals - What Went Down

December 23rd 2013

The formatting got fucked up when I edited damn

jmnewcomer18
December 23rd 2013

album is tits in a bottle