The Murder of Rosa Luxemburg
Everyone's in Love and Flowers Pick Them

by Jared W. Dillon USER (118 Reviews)
April 4th, 2006 | 11 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Iím betting not many people on Sputnik know who The Murder of Rosa Luxemburg is. One they are foreign, two they are a post-hardcore outfit, and three theyíve already broken up. While this will probably affect the popularity of this review, I still hope I can at least sway some people to at least give this album a try because itís a great experiment in post-hardcore. After this release by the band they released another EP which was basically a complete rehash of their sound into Don Cab. type post-rock. I think that in turn shows what kind of band The Murder of Rosa Luxemburg was. They were a band that could be pigeon holed into a specific style, but they were certainly one of the more eclectic groups in their scene. This album is a concept album, because thatís cool right now.

So what makes The Murder of Rosa Luxemburg, different from your average post-hardcore band? Well, letís see first off there are the numerous experimentations with electronica, seen in the tracks Jack and Oscar Have A Fight and Ex Post Facto. These electronic tracks are very similar to the interludes found on Minus the Bearís first LP Highly Refined Pirates. Another aspect that The Murder of Rosa Luxemburgís music has is the sense of humor and spazziness found in a group like The Blood Brothers. The thing that makes The Murder of Rosa Luxemburgís music more interesting then The Blood Brothers is that instead of concentrating on having ridiculous vulgar lyrics screamed by two crazy singers with very simple music backing it, the actual music seems to be the center point of The Murder of Rosa Luxemburg experience, and what wonderful music it is. The groupís main tools of destruction are the fantastic bass and guitar interplay. The bass lines on this album are one of the key reasons I love it, they are so jumpy and random very similar to the bass lines of another favorite band of mine, Off Minor. The guitars have that jazzy hardcore sound that The Plot to Blow up the Eiffel Tower has, for those that have heard them. The drumming is simple yet suits most of the songs and the lead singerís scream/talk is nasally but not to the extent where it is bothersome. The lyrics arenít anything special just nonsense that is trying to tell a crazy ass story about a man and the fight inside his conscious which is represented by a cat and a dog. All of the songs that are not electronic experiments are constantly progressing into new parts which really keep this album from getting old. While most of the songs are heavy, the band is able to jump between various styles of heavy music whether it is straight up hardcore, grind, and even some alternative rock type stuff. I guess the best comparison for the band would be if Minus the Bear decided to rip off the Blood Brothers. The best track on the album is probably the closer

While this album is a very original and interesting record, it does get a tad bit repetitive. Itís hard to tell the differences between most of the songs and while this isnít a huge problem, it does lessen the amount I listen to it. Another problem is the versatility of the lead singerís voice, some back up vocals or actual singing might have made this a little bit more interesting and certainly a lot more my style. Some people may be turned off by the production, but I like my hardcore raw and lively which is what this sounds like. While Iím probably leaving out a few flaws, I think most of the album is pretty solid.

The Murder of Rosa Luxemburg was a short experiment in tampering with the idea of a post-hardcore band. I think most hardcore fans would really enjoy this album if they gave it a chance and some fans of other genres might find some redeeming qualities in it. While itís a solid record its length and repetitiveness are kind of wearing and that is what keeps it from achieving a perfect score. ďEveryoneís In Love and Flowers Pick Themselves" is one of those solid albums that are neither great nor bad; itís just kind of a good listen on any occasion. Itís catchy, technical and inventive so if youíre into music that reflects any of those ideas, download this album and enjoy something that may have been so much more if time hadnít cut short such a great band.