Noisem
Agony Defined

by Josh Fountain CONTRIBUTOR (63 Reviews)
December 20th, 2013 | 28 replies | 2,113 views

Release Date: 06/15/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Specializing in breakneck riffs, these Maryland kids have come to kick your head in

Noisem clearly loves Slayer. Not in a “rip off Reign in Blood riffs” kind of way, but more of a “how fucking fast can I possibly play” way. These guys specialize in breakneck riffs, and they have mastered their craft. The entirety of Agony Defined is riffs and solos, all done at the speed of a fighter jet. The teenage members of Noisem have seemingly released an album from 1988, full of hunger and malice. Agony Defined punches you in the throat over and over for 25 minutes, never taking breaks, never stopping to ask if you are okay.

“Voices in the Morgue” kicks off the album, letting you know exactly what you are in for: a no-frills exercise in vehemence. Vocalist Tyler Carnes has the dry bark of a 45 year old man, continuing the charade of this being an undiscovered 80s treasure. With this being such a young band, one would assume that Agony Defined would be sloppy or rough around the edges, but that is not the case here. Each track is tightly constructed, a planned massacre. A complaint could be made about the songs blending together, with the rhythm section being fairly repetitive, however the ride is so entertaining that the blending just adds to the experience. The 25 minute runtime is a large positive, as a 45 minute album would start to heavily drag. “Mortuary” puts up a façade of slowing down, however it is just to lull the listener into a false sense of security, ramping back up to continue their sprint towards destruction.

Prepare to get fucking buried in riffs. These Maryland teenagers have crafted an assault, one that will not let up. This death metal influenced thrash album is an unstoppable beast, running over anything standing in its path. Expect this band to get big; their live shows are just as unrelenting and chaotic as they sound on record, and with a tour with Carcass coming up, they will catch on. Noisem has a bright future. If Agony Defined is any indication, these kids will put their stamp on the metal scene.

Linkin Park The Hunting PartyPowerman 5000 Builders of the Future
Lord Mantis Death MaskChuck Ragan Till Midnight
Perfect Pussy Say Yes to LoveTwin Forks Twin Forks

December 20th 2013

A short review for an album that RIFFFFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSS

19395 Comments

whoah, a curse thrash review. pos'd

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

8 months since my last review, been awhile

19395 Comments

ya it's easy to get out of the habit

FiveLeavesLeft

Gonna see these guys in March with Gorguts, Carcass, and Black Dahlia Murder

lol nice avi

Nocturnal
December 20th 2013

I seen these guys live before and they sucked. Still might check this out. Tbh they don't seem even worthy of a slayer comparison.

pmmets07
December 20th 2013

got this in a bundle from a389 and have been jamming it nonstop in my car. it does indeed riff hard.

Riffs like a motherfucker

Riffs like a motherfucker

pmmets07
December 20th 2013

can u rec me more bands like this?

Xenophanes
December 20th 2013

Fuck gotta check. Will I like this bby?

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

December 20th 2013

I think so, you like riffs and this bitch has it in spades

pmmets, even though these guys are more thrashy, Black Breath is a bit similar, and there are more that I am completely blanking on. A lot of heavier 80s thrash and crossover thrash

bigguytoo9
December 20th 2013

Never heard em before, ill have to check this out. Will be seeing them open for Carcass next year.

December 20th 2013

Yeah the whole reason I checked them out is because they're opening for Carcass and Gorguts

FiveLeavesLeft

Yeah, I'm going to that Decibel Magazine tour, gonna be at the Santa Ana show

December 20th 2013

I'll be in Orlando, should be great

accompliceofmydeath
December 20th 2013

Slept on this for too long. Riffs for dayzzz

halloway
December 21st 2013

"Tbh they don't seem even worthy of a slayer comparison."

^this opinion sucks.

December 21st 2013

It is the opinion of someone who hasn't actually heard it so I mean