Review Summary: Death's best
After being done with the juvenile themes of dark magic zombie rituals on Scream Bloody Gore
and before they descended into pretentious widdly-widdly-noodle wankery as seen in Symbolic
, there was Human
, Death's best album.
The songs here all gravitate around the length of four minutes, which is the perfect length, allowing the songs to remain straightforward and memorable, while avoiding plunging into tryhard quasi-progressive bulls
hit. Lack of Comprehension
is the best number on here, and probably the band's best song. The verse riff in triplets is pretty effective, as are the vocal lines, which are surprisingly singalong-able -- something unusual for Schuldiner's typical attempts at weaving lumbering poetry. The solo is also among Schuldiner's best, being pretty memorable, even though it's in Phrygian mode, like 90% of his solos, the other 10% being in Locrian, likewise an inflexible and repetitive mode.
Other high points include the lead break, 1:32 in See Through Dreams
as well as the nifty little instrumental, Cosmic Sea
with its awesome bass break 2:33 in.
Generally, the album retains a high degree of technicality, in the process eschewing melody and catchiness of the riffs. I don't know if this was by mistake or design, but the riffs' repetitiveness can surely get on your nerves and ruin the otherwise pretty enjoyable experience that this album is.
- Lack of Comprehension
- Cosmic Sea
- See Through Dreams