Park Jefferson

by Robert Lowe STAFF
December 18th, 2013 | 26 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Well I'm done feeling sorry for myself

A cool user named Pmmets07 posed the question "best emo release since snowing?" on the soundoff page for the self titled, first full length album by Park Jefferson. This statement caused quite a quandary in my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about it every time I listened to this album. Park Jefferson should be a simple listen for me, it's just another emo record, and hell, around half the songs I already knew because they were previously released on EPs. But I loved those songs when I first heard them, and I still love them, but because of this simple, innocent, and I'm sure slightly sarcastic remark made by a random user, I just couldn't wrap my head around this release for the longest time.

There have been a lot of great emo albums that have come out since Snowing dissolved, but I know a lot of people don't feel that way. They feel that the emo scene has become stagnant and all the bands sound the same. But the funny thing is, Park Jefferson are one of those bands. They're completely archetypal twinkly emo revival, but the thing is, they're so good it doesn't matter. Park Jefferson have the emo formula down to a tee: math rock inspired twinkly arpeggios broken up by open note and octave chords, soft emotional vocals that can transcend into passionate screaming at any moment, and of course, reflective and heartfelt lyrics. A lot can be said about a band that's unique and tries different things, but there's also a lot of merit in a band that can play a familiar sound, but play it better than anyone else.

Park Jefferson is not my favorite emo release of the past three years nor do I think it's the best emo release since Snowing, but if a more specific question like "Is Park Jefferson the best archetypal, by the numbers emo release of the last few years?" I would have to give a resounding "yes."

Sorority Noise You're Not As ____ As You ThinkDarkest Hour Godless Prophets and The Migrant Flora
The Menzingers After the PartyAFI AFI (The Blood Album)
Tegan and Sara Love You to DeathBurial Young Death/Nightmarket

I barely talk about the music and I used the word "emo" 10 times

Enjoy

Digging: bansheebeat - Techo Deluxe

Great review.
I don't think anyone can take the phrase "emo" seriously anymore.

Digging: Code Orange - Forever

December 18th 2013

I think it's more that because it's starting to get popular again, the shitty derivative bands are going to start outweighing the good bands

The good bands are still there, you just have to dig for them

sixdegrees
December 18th 2013

dont you mean 'typical' not 'atypical' in the last two paragraphs, seems like it from the context.

Digging: Lilys - Eccsame The Photon Band

lol yeah oops

December 18th 2013

Would you class captain we're sinking as "Emo"? I love the future is cancelled and I haven't stopped listening to it.

December 18th 2013

No I wouldn't really. Basically any band that has a strong Jawbreaker influence gets classified as emo. They're no more emo than The Lawrence Arms, just melodic punk I guess. You could call it pop punk if you want, but not really emo

December 18th 2013

Fair enough. Whatever it is, it's one of the best albums of the year and I can't get enough of it.

StallionMang

Nice review, will check

Digging: Flake Music - When You Land Here, It's Time To Return

PunchforPunch
December 18th 2013

dude, it's saturday is one of my favorite song from these guys

December 18th 2013

Better Boy is one of my favorite songs ever

ShadowRemains

great album

NocteDominum
December 18th 2013

Now I know what you mean by shorter, gotta love that conversational, ask the world some questions tone though.

December 18th 2013

Yeah I gave up on being professional

I like reading/writing the "I'm trying to figure something out in my head" style of reviews

NocteDominum

So you don't like mine : [

:] It works well, it's a style I've never been able to pull off without sounding condescending or contrived.

December 18th 2013

I like yours too. Having several different styles of writing on the site is always good.

solongatlast

Good album. Nothing new.

BroFro
December 18th 2013

did they re-record any of these songs for this LP? or are they all the same versions found on the EPs?

Digging: New Bomb Turks - !!Destroy-Oh-Boy!!

December 19th 2013

Re-recorded

Blackbelt54
December 19th 2013

yeah pretty decent but I haven't really gotten into it much