Five Finger Death Punch
American Capitalist

1.0
awful

by Tunaboy45 USER (11 Reviews)
December 18th, 2013 | 37 replies | 1,344 views

Review Summary: A bland, generic album that is simply too inconsistent and uninspired to be taken seriously.

Let’s get the good out of the way first. The best tracks are easily “American Capitalist”, “Under And Over It” and “Generation Dead” for their catchy choruses and half decent lyrics. But that’s just the problem with this album. The lyrics are pathetic and they sound like they were written by an illiterate 8 year old that just discovered expletives. I’m not even kidding. Ivan Moody seems to have the impression that if he repeats the F word over and over, it will make him sound tough.

But I’m just scratching the surface in terms of lyrics. “Back For More” sounds like the band was trying to write a song for a rocky film, only to discover that they’re 10 years too late. I mean, look at this:

“Let's get it on!
It's time to get in the game,
You gotta fight 'til it hurts and then you do it again
Let's tear it up!
I'm staying straight to the core, ain't no room for second place, go big or go home!”

It’s obvious that they’re trying to do a motivational song that people can get buffed to, but it blows up in their face, and “Eye Of The Tiger” is the only gym song you’ll ever need. The one thing that really stands out is the verse chorus verse formula of every song. This is indeed a very formulaic album and that instantly got on my nerves. It’s so cliched and generic that about 5 songs in, I could predict how the next song would play out. Intrigue is something that captivates the listener. That’s why bands like Tool and Deftones are so popular and get all the praise they deserve, along with all round fantastic song writing, they keep the listener coming back for more. This album has none of that and it is a huge problem.

“Coming Down” is an anti suicide anthem of sorts and credit to them, it gets the message across well but it’s simply too melodramatic to be taken seriously and in the end, it just feels like they’re ramming the message down our throats.

I bought the deluxe edition and the bonus tracks are so poor, they’re not even getting a mention. The band even has the audacity to put a second disc in, filled with pointless techno remixes. I listened to it once and had to take a shower afterwards. This band is essentially everything wrong with modern metal; tired, uninspired lyrics and a generic, verse chorus verse formula. I haven’t heard the best things about their double album effort this year either. If they want to maintain interest and keep their fans, they are going to have to experiment and think outside the box.

Rammstein MutterStone Sour House of Gold and Bones - Part 1
Marilyn Manson Born VillainKidz Bop Kidz Kidz Bop 23
Deftones White PonySoulfly Savages
2.7
  • NeoSpaz (2)
    Hate the way you pussies talk shit, hiding on the web...

hankdee27 (3)
    Meh, this is just a tried and re-tried formula. It's starting to get as old as the skin on...

Jeff F. (3.5)
    FFDP do what they know how to and mostly succeed. Don't expect anything revolutionary and ...

PatrickMulvihill (3)
    Death Punch doesn't mature much but they do provide a few powerful, standout tracks that w...

• Anacreor (3.5)
    Not really original, the same no bullshit-approach, but a tad more melodic and groovy. Fiv...

Pestiferouss
December 18th 2013

yeah, think this goes without saying

FiveLeavesLeft

Worst band ever

They're ridiculously overrated.

Digging: Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Kusangii
December 18th 2013

Band is laughably awful. The lyrics gives me a good laugh though. A 12 year old pothead could write better lyrics, seriously.

December 18th 2013

"Well where do I start with this one? American Capitalist is the third album by Five Finger Death Punch. Much has been made of this band and in my opinion; this hype around them is unjustified. They’re just another radio friendly, American rock/metal band and in my eyes, they’re no better than Nickelback."

Let's break this down.

"Well where do I start with this one?

Don't start a review like this unless you're using it as a literary device

"American Capitalist is the third album by Five Finger Death Punch. "

Try to come up with a more organic/interesting way to get across exposition

"Much has been made of this band and in my opinion;

Never use "in my opinion" it's implied.

"this hype around them is unjustified."

What hype? This comment is unnecessary anyway.

"They’re just another radio friendly, American rock/metal band and in my eyes, they’re no better than Nickelback."

The first half of this sentence is OK, you sound like you're setting up a really big point AKA the thesis of your review, but you pay it off by comparing them to Nickelback and don't actually say anything about the album

Always have a main point when you write a review. Your first paragraph should introduce that point, and every subsequent paragraph should back up your point. Also have a subpoint for every paragraph. Try to avoid blanket statements, filler statements, don't bring up points without backing them up, and try to avoid using the first person unless you have a strong reason to do so

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

JustinKing
December 18th 2013

I don't know how a band manages to make the exact same album so many times, yet they get so much worse with each one.

2056 Comments

One of the great mysteries of our time.

MO
December 18th 2013

band is fucking terrible my brother likes them sometimes I wonder how we're brothers

Kusangii
December 18th 2013

^ Wow... I'd beat the shit out of my brother if he listened to this. I feel sorry for you dude.

Nocturnal
December 18th 2013

People who lift dig this shit hard.

NocteDominum

Hey Trebor dude, BB code

[ quote ] text [/ quote ] but without the spaces : ]

It makes those so much easier to read : ]

FiveLeavesLeft

^ truth

NocteDominum
December 18th 2013

I bought the deluxe edition and the bonus tracks are so poor,

Before posting on the internet, read everything twice - and than once out loud.

Green Baron

19855 Comments

yeah why the fuck did you buy anything from these assholes?

remember everything sucks ass. that's all i remember from this album. oh yeah and the pride is a godawful mess

Digging: Royal Blood - Royal Blood

2056 Comments

Yeah they recommended it in HMV after I bought a soulfly album (Stupid I know) and I thought "Why not, it's on sale."
NEVER.
AGAIN.

SlMBOLlC

30 year old angst pop metallers m////////

This is the most br00tal metal I've ever encountered

Judio!
December 18th 2013

Every one of the criticisms you mentioned in your review, I have heard before. This isn't a good album by any means, but it's nowhere near a 1 for me.

Digging: Todd Terje - Its The Arps

Judio!
December 18th 2013

I listened to it once and had to take a shower afterwards...I haven’t heard the best things about
their double album effort this year either.

You should rework this paragraph. If you are not going to elaborate on the first point you make in
this paragraph, why even include it at all? Don't raise a point unless you are going to fully develop
it. Also, that sentence about "their double album" is a throwaway comment. Try not to go off on
tangents like that.

Green Baron

19855 Comments

i will not be forgotten

this is my time to shine