Imbroco
Are You My Lionkiller?

by Maarten USER (7 Reviews)
December 18th, 2013 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A first glance up, through the broken covering.

Out of the ashes of the legendary Mineral a handful of bands have risen. The quickest of those to jump the bandwagon of the blossoming emo scene in the late nineties went by the name of Imbroco.
Comprised of ex-Mineral musicians drummer G. Wiley and lead guitarist S. McCarver, the newly formed outfit had the asset to immediately be identified as a force to reckon with.
The question remains however if the artistic differences that –supposedly- tore apart their former band could bring a positive influx now.

we've fallen down. I have now given in
Ironically enough the aforementioned lyrical line provides us with the perfect relationship towards the ex-project. To recognize the break and just move on. Not once does it seem like they were trying to be a successor of Mineral.

As an ensemble that clearly values tempo and straightforward lyrics, the music is undeniably very much delivered at face value here. Thus not much will be left to grow on you, luckily enough as flat as it lies as bright does it shine.
In the vocal department there’s an emphasis on whispered, lullaby like, soothing sounds that escape the mouth of vocalist R. Phillips. That is, until those minor guitar keys embody a more aggressive mental state and his vocal chords flex to a more uncompromised tone that holds the middle between singing off-key and screaming. Engaging to those who show ardour to the genre, sometimes cringe worthy to those who don’t.

Nevertheless here is a relatively easy way to get familiar with the wonderfully introspective offspring of hardcore punk. The mere fact that there’s little to be buried in the song structures and mix leads one, me for instance, to believe that the premise of this band had always been to smooth out the rough edges. To target a public reception less divided as its preceding band.
Were they searching- and therefore culpable for the demise of- to popularize the genre? Certainly not, the jury is still out on the issue of guilt. Imbroco remained true to their roots. The frantic drumming, the unpolished guitar lines and beautifully imperfect vocals all vouch for that.

Imbroco like to philander with the idea of unleashing a double punch full blown guitar distortion onto their willing listeners. Most notably on the track You’re My Lionkiller, that features a frenzied final chord after an already impressive portrayal of the soft-loud dynamics. (Go ahead, and join me in the crazy dance you wouldn’t dare do in public. )
Here’s an EP that mainly functioned as an artistic exploration of their members, that provided the necessary breathing space to establish their own take on the musical style most of them had been playing for years. Once this purpose seemed fulfilled, again members would part ways and move on to other projects. Pop Unknown to be the most ringing name.

Despite its musical wit though, a real impact from this project was not to be expected here, the limited length of the discography does not permit that. Only a minor footprint In the - then still to be solidified- definition of Midwest emo and with Calm Your Fears a place in quite a number of top lists.

Rinoa An Age Among ThemAurore Rien Sedative for the Celestial Blue
Carissa's Wierd You Should Be At Home HereCarissa's Wierd Ugly But Honest: 1996-1999
Grace Cathedral Park In The Evenings Of RegretAshen Pull And Repel

December 18th 2013

And thus the list of yet to be reviewed emo albums thins by the day. =)

December 18th 2013

I had really high hopes for this when I found out it had members of Mineral in it, but I remember not being blown away. I'll have to revisit it. Cool review.

Digging: New Found Glory - Resurrection

December 18th 2013

Well, nothing can touch Mineral =) . Lovelettertypewriter on repeat as we speak.

StallionMang
December 18th 2013

Good review, this needed one

Digging: LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

hhhhhnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg lovelettertypewriter

ShadowRemains

listen to the moirai

Digging: Execration (NOR) - Morbid Dimensions

December 18th 2013

They're p good, but it just makes me wanna listen to Penfold.

December 18th 2013

"They're p good, but it just makes me wanna listen to Penfold."
'Singing nonsense on the streets of rome' would belong in a top emo songs list for me =) .

Iamthe Nightstars
December 18th 2013

Nice review. Calm Your Fears is so great.

Iamthe Nightstars
October 4th 2014

I'm not sure why this was so hard for me to get into, but until recently the last song was the only song I really liked. Very solid EP.