Converge
Jane Doe

by Drubbi USER (11 Reviews)
December 18th, 2013 | 219 replies | 4,338 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: So, how much do you love this album as a whole?

It's been said by many that 'Jane Doe' is a crowning achievement in the music industry, displaying passion and emotion in its lyrics. The idea that Jane Doe, an unnamed man (or woman in this case) is having to suffer through, in this case, the results of a relationship coming to an end, is one that many would be quick to associate themselves with, and be even quicker to defend the content within this record. But the problem does not lie within the lyrical content. The lyrical content is brilliant throughout the fourty-five minute run time of the album. Nor does it lie with the instrumental that accompanies it; rather, it's the hectic and at times incoherent way the songs are transmitted to the listener that may see many be ready to cut the music and listen to something more tolerable.

The album is amazing, there is no question about that. But it's the way the album tries to bring across its emotion. Sure, this is the opposite when the lyrics and the lyrical content are brought into the picture; penned by songwriter and vocalist Jacob Bannon, it tells a tale of emotional hardship and the fallout of such. It paints a painfully true picture for many, and those very people will associate with the album more than others. But this is where the problem lies; it tries too hard to evoke emotion out of a specific listener when it should be catering to a larger audience.

Although that last comment will leave many with torches and pitchforks raised, ready to be at my doorstep within minutes, it's true in every way. The album relies too much on its lyrical content to convince the listener to associate with it, rather than having the listener actually understand it. Even as I listen to 'Jane Doe' as I write this review, and having listened to it many times over, I struggle to make coherent sense out of the high-pitched scream that is emitted from Bannon's lungs without having to search the internet for not only the lyrics, but the meaning behind them.

But even after all of that is said, the album is still listenable. Take away the scream, and the album is well-crafted. The dual-guitar does well in keeping the tracks fresh and varied, and the bass line that accompanies the hectic and well-performed drums help steady each song, more so than that of the guitars. But the scream that accompanies each track leaves the listener feeling off-put. The listener is more attracted to the vocals than other parts of the album.

That is the reason why the album is both good and bad; the instrumental and lyricism within the album is so well though-out and transmitted to the listener that it's completely counteracted by the high-pitched scream performed by Bannon. And although that is the only negative thing surrounding the album, it is such a major 'problem' that the listener would be turned off by 'Jane Doe' just on the way the lyrics are brought across alone.

The Neighbourhood I Love YouA Day to Remember For Those Who Have Heart
Bring Me the Horizon SempiternalAtreyu The Congregation of the Damned
Alesana A Place Where The Sun Is SilentOf Mice and Men The Flood
4.4

December 18th 2013

So ready for the backlash. Tried to write a review that wasn't positive, and I think it came out all right. Please leave some helpful words if you plan to leave a neg. :L

it,

Yeah, you're wrong.

Digging: Your Old Droog - Your Old Droog

December 18th 2013

this whole review is literally only saying "I don't like the vocals, so I don't like the album/everything on the album rules except for the vocals which ruin it"

Digging: Buzzov-en - Sore

demigod!

first sentence is wrong

Digging: Black Flag - My War

PunchforPunch
December 18th 2013

hey drubbi if you want some pop recs just give me a shout okay?

MeatSalad

Digging: Obliteration - Black Death Horizon

Wadlez

Jane is quite a lass

December 18th 2013

That's exactly what I'm trying to say. The vocals ruin the whole experience, whilst the instrumentation complements it immensely.

20285 Comments

The lyrical content means nothing here. He could be yelling "you're a cunt!" the entire time and it
would still have the same impact on the listener.

tommygun

pussy

December 18th 2013

Well if you base your album around the idea of something such as this and expect people to have emotional attachment to it...

Did I do ANYTHING right?

Parallels
December 18th 2013

oh hey look the album rating is correct for once

20285 Comments

The attachment here isn't what is said, it's how it is said. He's in screaming agony the entire time - and you fucking feel it from the bottom of your soul.

December 18th 2013

Well there are no grammatical mistakes so A+ for that

that being said pls die

Static

I love misery signals

ugh

20285 Comments

The way I see it is people who don't like or get this album are in the same camp of those who think KFC is healthy and Jesus Christ is a savior.

Excuse me while I get drunk off your ill mind.

SAPoodle
December 18th 2013

I don't understand how you can love everything else about this album but not find the vocals to be, at the very least, appropriate.