Ataraxie
L Etre et La Nausee

by Kunal Choksi USER (24 Reviews)
December 14th, 2013 | 12 replies

Release Date: 09/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Immense

‘Slow Transcending Agony’ was a beautiful album, a mixture of heaviness and melodies, Death/Doom that owed albeit too much to the UK Doom masters My Dying Bride, Anathema and Paradise Lost. My Dying Bride remains a prominent influence on the band, even after it turned heavier and slower, like Funeral Death/Doom on ‘Anhedonie’. It was a tough beast, the tough got it, the others like me went back to the band’s sublime debut. Five years later, Ataraxie comes out with a massive double disc album titled ‘L'Être et la Nausée’. Several listens on, I’m still digesting it.

The band is now more convinced of its direction, it’s sounding in control, it’s determined. In its Death Metal mode, it’s truly Death Metal – crushing, fast and well, obliterating. I couldn’t help but detect an undercurrent of Black Metal even during such parts, and that adds to the appeal. You don’t want just another Death Metal band or a generic part for that matter into music that is trying to do something different. That’s what I like about this album – it’s evolving, doing something ambitious. Indeed there are comparisons to its other band Funeralium and those aren’t unwarranted. It’s not all Bethlehemic like the other band, it’s still rooted in Death/Doom, but there are hardly any melodies – at least not as apparent as on the band’s debut. It’s most comparable to the recent Worship output, but that’s too morose and like swallowing ball bearings.

‘L'Être et la Nausée’ has a vision and it’s not satisfied easily. It takes two discs to make its point and not all of them are filled with the sounds of anguish and dread. Disc one has all but three songs, all different in nature, but all of them are epic and meaningful. Getting their point is quite time consuming and immersive, and that’s something that best describes this band – immersive. It’s not easy to have you hooked on to something that’s minimalist, multi-faceted but not schizophrenic like Disembowelment even though there are such cathartic moments, beggaring belief. Disc two has two songs only, again not altogether removed from the band’s sound, but offering something slightly different but going on to make a statement of its own. That’s the best explanation I can give to this idea of having two disc editions of one album – it’s only about five minutes longer than an average CD length.

Ataraxie has produced something of immense value. Fans of plodding, suspenseful or despair-ridden Doom will find it palatable, others will have to be more patient. Thankfully it’s broader in its scope, venturing other styles old and new in its own vision, and creating something that’s crafted with utmost attention to detail.

Haemophagus AtrociousInhuman Remnants Inattentional Blindness
Vomiting Corpses Coma: The Spheres of InnocenceFrozen Dawn Those of the Cursed Light
Aposento AposentoAurora Borealis Worldshapers
Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
An album that lifts past the expectations, this could very well be your 'Album Of The Year'....

Hohenheim (4.5)
Embrace insanity....

December 14th 2013

19756 Comments

we meet again.

Pretty good review...no need to capitalize genres like doom and black metal though

have a pos. Try to spread out your reviews more though cause people will bitch about posting more than 1 review a day

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

HallucinatingDeath
December 14th 2013

Thanks for reading brother! Cheers!

check saint vitus dudes

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

December 15th 2013

A couple of pointers, nice read though.

‘Slow Transcending Agony’ was a beautiful album

It's still an album, it never ceased being one. Check your tense.

An album that mixes heaviness, melody death/doom metal that owed...

Those commas are unnecessary, genre tags don't need capitalization.

that owed albeit too much to the UK Doom

Choppy wording, you spend too much time getting to where you're going.

This is just the first section, the entire of the review is filled with the above. Try reading your review aloud and you'll discover where it's choppy - or doesn't make sense.

metal aoty hard

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

Yes it is : ]

20876 Comments

It better be up there on the staff/contrib list! (Oh who am I kidding, predicting a list with 5 metal albums max and this won't be on there)

December 15th 2013

Does my personal list count lol?

yea that was fine

would have liked to see a bit more pm but yea

December 15th 2013

Sorry, the pm was a bit underwhelming this year.

20876 Comments

Well we were really spoiled last year but you're overreacting imo

December 15th 2013

I don't think so, maybe it will kick up again next year.