Anaal Nathrakh
The Codex Necro

by Pterazord13 USER (3 Reviews)
December 12th, 2013 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An exercise in being as brutal as possible....and succeeding in nearly every way.

As metalheads, we don't exactly have a concrete blueprint for what makes a band "heavy". The term is so derogatory among the metal community that we tend to abuse the term. We've all heard phrases like, "That album is so F**KING heavy!" or "*insert band here* is not heavy! They suck!". Metalheads use the word to describe appeal rather than actual musical heaviness sometimes. So what exactly makes a metal band "heavy"? How can one tell if a band truly delivers "heaviness"? Sure, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who finds extreme metal "light", but once you're used to it, there's no surprises anymore. At least, that's what I thought until I gave the British duo Anaal Nathrakh a listen.

I've given at least a short listen to dozens of metal bands before, in just about every sub-genre, even some of the supposedly most extreme bands out there. But Anaal Nathrakh somehow still managed to scare me, and there is no release by them that isn't the epitome of musical intensity. "The Codex Necro" was the album that sold me on them. It can best be described as chaotically insane, unrelentingly gut-wrenching, sickeningly loud, disgustingly brutal, inhumanly evil, destructively unsettling, and maniacally fast. But that's exactly what makes it such a great album. And that's coming from someone who doesn't really like black metal that much.

From the minute that "The Supreme Necrotic Audnance" kicks in, listeners will be treated to an eerie, evil intro riff, that quickly transitions to a burst of full-on raw black metal blasting. Just when you think it couldn't be any more brutalizing, the shrieking king Dave "V.I.T.R.O.L." Hunt begins showing off his deranged, unintelligible, loud, screechy screams, that can only be described as the voice of a zombie apocalypse. His voice is quite distinct, but only if you listen closely. It's very easy to brush him off as just another black metal guy, but his ferocity is unmatched.

The album continues in the same vein as its opener, so it wouldn't hurt to give a musical overview. This album is heavier than a black hole. No exaggeration....

Actually, let me tell a little story. I am actually very young, and was able to handle extreme music better than the vast majority of people my age when I was a kid. When I was first getting into metal, I jumped directly from Disturbed to Meshuggah (yes, really) at the mere age of 15 (which was only 3 years ago, mind you), and was sold on it literally right away. Guess I just have a good ear for rhythm or something. I'll continue the story on another review later on. Now where was I? Oh, right.

Anyways, as I said, this album is heavy as hell. It's the soundtrack to armageddon, an exercise in being as brutal as possible, and succeeding in nearly every way. The production is raw, the playing is ridiculously speedy, and the riffs are beyond savage. And at just under 45 minutes with 9 songs, it is the perfect length. Not too long, not too short. Anaal Nathrakh manages to include a lot of musical ideas into the songs, but one song of note is the fourth song, "Pandemonic Hyperblast". This track is easily the noisiest on the album, driven by a near-constant blast beat with inhumanly fast riffing complimented by some of the ugliest (in a good way) vocals in the history of black metal. The website TV Tropes even lists the song as the most extreme black metal song ever. Maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but it certainly is at least one of them.

Overall, "The Codex Necro" is a top-notch extreme metal album. While not quite perfect, for what it is it's pretty damn close. The record manages to be both as mean and intense as possible while still maintaining musical merit. That is not an easy feat to accomplish. With music that will blow up the ears of even the most passionate extreme metal fans, vocals the defy the functions of the human voice box, production raw enough for "kvlt" black metal fans but polished enough for the average metalhead, crushing atmosphere that can't help but paint the picture of an undead skinned body eating through your flesh, and some of the most evil compositions ever released, this album is black metal at its finest.

To the mallcore kids my age who don't know what the hell they're talking about: This is not Slipknot. This ain't your Cradle of Filth, Korn, Dimmu Borgir, Bullet for My Valentine (I like 'em, though), or Disturbed (I like them, too). This is the real thing. True brutality at its loudest and angriest. That goes for all of Anaal Nathrakh's albums.

But it's not for everybody. Anaal Nathrakh's music (this album especially) is very scary, noisy, and staggering even by extreme metal standards, making it hard for even some metal fans with trained ears to appreciate their songs on first listen. This is extreme metal turned up to eleven, folks. But hey, if a teenager like me can handle it, I'm sure the average metalhead can, too.

Subrick (5)
Hell's House Band Part I - All Too Fucking Human...

Andrew H. EMERITUS (3.5)

MosesMalone

I'm 18 and I can jam Anaal Nathrakh
Wow man such extreme so young
Also heavy is a universal constant, like Avogadro's number. NEG

"As metalheads"

neg

therapy20
December 12th 2013

I really enjoyed 'In the Constellation of the Black Widow' but nothing else they've done comes close to it for me.
The review is a little bit messy and there is a lot of needless parts to it.
I also hate the term metalheads!!

Nocturnal

Amazing band.

Wizard

19608 Comments

Dude, this represents everything wrong with the review.

Digging: Full Of Hell & Merzbow - Full Of Hell & Merzbow

sixdegrees

ahahaha

December 12th 2013

How do you exercise to be brutal? Please tell me it involves whips and chains.

As metalheads

.....

we don't exactly have a concrete blueprint for what makes a band "heavy".

Concrete is pretty heavy... but if you're going to pick something up make sure you bend your knees, yeah?

I've been listening and reviewing metal for quite some time now, and in all honesty this is the first time I've seen someone put those words together.

Also, swearing is a fucking art, you have to know when it's appropriate.

That's nice, how's this relevant?

_____________________________________________________________More on the next post.

Cygnatti
December 12th 2013

story on another review later on. Now where was I? Oh, right.

brb, slitting throat

December 12th 2013

Passion was a huge let down, in intensity and quality. Try not to create sweeping speculation without backing up your opinion.

And that's coming from someone who doesn't really like black metal that much.

Neither here nor there.

Metal is generally loud, specify how it's different from other bands et cetera. Shrieking/Screechy - - pick one. As for:

described as the voice of a zombie apocalypse.

Really? No level of zombie tv shows or movies shed any light on what this means...

His voice is quite distinct, but only if you listen closely.

So it's not really that distinct then is it?

_______________________________________________________ On Next

December 12th 2013

This album is heavier than a black hole. No exaggeration....

Basic science, space has zero gravity. Black holes have never had their weight measured, you see where this is going.

Actually, let me tell a little story....

The guys who have already commented have made this all pretty clear.

Guess I just have a good ear for rhythm or something.

Based on what? The fact that you're 18 and can listen to metal?

Now where was I? Oh, right.

We know where you are, this is the internet - have fun.

________________________________________________________ Yep, still going.

December 12th 2013

Nothing to do with your opinion, remove and burn.

While not quite perfect, for what it is it's pretty damn close.

Not perfect, but gives out a 5/5 rating....

"kvlt"

Sigh, *face palm*

No. Mallcore. No name-dropping, they've no relevance here and bashing rather entry level bands does not give you a sense of credibility (whether you like it or not).

......

MosesMalone
December 12th 2013

I don't get the hate for Passion, it was nothing special but it's still pretty cool. Also Drug-Fucking Abomination and actual grind-length songs. Wait a second, Passion is awesome!

Havey

pathetic band

ShadowRemains

this band sucks

and the review is worse

YUJOS
December 13th 2013

Not perfect, but gives out a 5/5 rating....

"kvlt"

Lmao.

December 13th 2013

: it's better when people think things through

JamieTwort
December 15th 2013

Check out Mutilator.

zaruyache
December 16th 2013

this band sucks

No no Shadows they have a few good albums. Constellation is really good.

Digging: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times

HeathenEarthling
December 19th 2013

Come on, this review is hilarious. Pos!