Eyehategod
In the Name of Suffering

by VisionsFromTheDarkSide USER (23 Reviews)
December 11th, 2013 | 62 replies | 2,163 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Muddy, miserable and misanthropic

The New Orleans sludge scene is a movement which has been widely-recognised and critically acclaimed for some time now, with bands such as Down, Crowbar and indeed Eyehategod pioneering the movement, and this 1992 release is perhaps the album that kicked it all off. Eyehategod themselves have been the subject of much acclaim within sludge metal, and are renowned for their misanthropic lyrics and generally pessimistic vibe.

Although the name 'Eyehategod' is deceiving in a sense that it may lead to the presumption that the lyrics might be blasphemous or sacrilegious (when in actual fact the lyrics mainly touch upon personal issues, misanthropy and society), with regards to sound, you know exactly what you are going to get with Eyehategod. Thick, muddy guitars - a feature that has become imperative to sludge metal - pummel the listener like a ton of bricks, cascading in a viscous swirl of melancholy. The guitar tone really helps to complement the aforementioned misanthropic vibe in which 'In the Name of Suffering' so forcefully creates, using a high amount of bass with very little room for any mid-range or treble. The bass itself seems to effortlessly combine with the guitars, and bassist Steve Dale is often given space to show his skill and creativity via numerous bass breaks. This is apparent in the very first song, 'Depress', as the song starts on a grim bassline before descending into a vast cacophony of doom-inspired sludge.
Although this tone would have been considered the heaviest sound possible at the time of the album's inception (before bands like Electric Wizard and Sleep then took it to unthinkably heavy levels), an inevitable by-product of this is that the songs become fairly difficult to distinguish from one another, proving to be the record's main fault. This is not helped by the lack of variation in the drums. Although the percussion is steady and fits well with the rest of the instruments, Joe LaCaze doesn't have any interesting or original beats to offer, and instead seems to only help each of the songs stagnate towards the end of the album.

Having said this, Eyehategod manages to incorporate tempo changes to liven the album up in places (best seen in the songs 'Man is Too Ignorant to Exist', 'Run it Into the Ground' and 'Hit a Girl'). These tempo changes often come unexpectedly and bridge the record's slower and more cumbersome movements with faster, headbang-inducing ones, ala Autopsy (particularly in their sophomore effort 'Mental Funeral'). It seems as though one minute the song is plodding along very sluggishly and in typical doom metal fashion, and then the next minute the band suddenly bursts into a hardcore-inspired section, with up-tempo riffs and break-neck drumming leading the assault.
On top of this, vocalist Mike Williams delivers a stellar vocal performance, often howling manically and almost painfully. These vocals really suit the aesthetic of the music, and superbly complement lyrics such as: "I scar my body, like a good boy, it takes practice at self abuse..." Without these vocals, the misanthropic vibe would simply cease to exist.

In summary, 'In the Name of Suffering' is an excellent debut album by Eyehategod, and was important for the development of the band and for the sludge movement as a whole. It was arguably because of this very album - along with The Melvins' 'Gluey Porch Treatments' - that sludge metal is now synonymous with thick, muddy guitars and a generally slow, brooding atmosphere. These characteristics, along with Mike Williams' tortured vocals and numerous tempo changes, ensure that the presence of stagnation within the album is disregarded enough to conclude that 'In the Name of Suffering' will give listeners a thrilling listening experience.

Maveth Coils of the Black EarthCoffinworm IV.I.VIII
Sport Bon VoyageExarsis The Brutal State
Stonehelm StonehelmLondon Grammar If You Wait

Relinquished
December 11th 2013

but pos just for reviewing this; it's been too long overdue

demigod!
December 11th 2013

damn im surprised this didn't have a review already, band rules

still gotta hear their last 2 but this shits hevy

Digging: Black Flag - My War

Fluttertrank

ihategod.

December 11th 2013

"check for misused punctuations, overused/awkward transition phrases, grammar, etc.

but pos just for reviewing this; it's been too long overdue"

Yeah there were certain parts that I think sounded awkward so I tried to change them but I've got writer's block haha. Thanks man

Digging: Noah Gundersen - Ledges

Pestiferousss

best eyehategod imo

Inveigh
December 11th 2013

whoa can't believe this didn't have a review

great album, very influential. not as good as the two that came after it though.

December 11th 2013

"lyrics mainly touch open personal issues, misanthropy and society"

upon?

"an inevitable by-product of this is that the songs become fairly difficult to distinguish from one another, proving to be the record's main fault."

that's part of the charm man. anyway have a pos.

Digging: Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood

evilford
December 11th 2013

yeah pos just for reviewing this. Does need a little proof reading for grammar but good rev. Finally getting into sludge and it fuckin rules, this album's coming up soon on my list

Digging: Krabathor - Cool Mortification

Nikkolae

pos pos pos cause ih8god

Digging: We Came Out Like Tigers - Ever-Crushed at Pecket's Well

December 11th 2013

swee gonna read and listen tomm hard

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

InbredJed
December 12th 2013

nice review, been slackin on checking these guys

December 12th 2013

"lyrics mainly touch open personal issues, misanthropy and society"

upon?"

Fixed, thanks for pointing that out dude.

Cheers for all the feedback guys, I think I need to start submitting my reviews the day after I write them. At the moment I do it the day I write them so I don't proof read them as thoroughly haha

Solid review so pos.

man this band rules

shinobi man

Inveigh
January 23rd 2014

the album that started it all...

January 23rd 2014

often imitated but never duplicated

eyehategod
February 5th 2014

wow what an amazing experience