Children of Bodom

by entruce USER (2 Reviews)
April 3rd, 2006 | 18 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

There are very few single bands or albums that can change a person's life - and this is one of them. 'Follow the Reaper' was the first COB cd I had ever heard. I ended up listening to it all the way through 7 times the first day - I thought it was THAT good.

These 10 well-constructed, very consistent masterpieces contain fast-paced, melodic riffs along with dual keyboard and guitar solos. The vocals of Alexi Laiho on this particular album are more of a harsh growl, remeniscent of earlier Emperor and the black metal scene. It's been said that his vocal influences included Phil Anselmo of Pantera and Mille Petrozza of Kreator, but I don't see a simularity between either of them.

Tracks 1-3 (Follow the Reaper, Bodom After Midnight, and Children of Decadence) are all a mixture of speed/thrash and neoclassical metal with black metal-type vocals, ultimately combining melody with speed and aggression.

Track 4, "Everytime I Die", is the slowest song on the album, but is not considered to by slow by any means. Although it's aimed mostly towards suicide, the song forms a bond to your ears due to the great melodies.

Tracks 5-9 (Mask of Sanity, Taste of my Scythe, Hate Me!, Northern Comfort, Kissing the Shadows) have some of the best solos ever written. The lead guitar work combined with the keyboards result in something very special, and at the time, something that was newer to the metal scene. "Kissing the Shadows" has a keyboard vs. guitar "Solo Duel" towards the end of the song, which contain the best solos on the album and probably the best COB solo parts they've ever written.

The final song is a cover of W.A.S.P's song "Hellion" from their debut 1984 self-titled album. The cover is great, they did a good job converting it to more death metal sound more than anything. Alexi wrote his own solo for the song, which ended up to be quite a good one. If you haven't heard 'Follow the Reaper', you need to. It's a MUST for a decent heavy metal collection.

Drunken Viking
April 4th 2006

Good review, I love this album, CoB's best work by far, it's a shame they stopped producing great music after this album.

Shadows
April 4th 2006

A little light on the information, but that's nothing big. I agree with you about the very first comment - this album was life-changing for me. Every song (save the cover, which I can overlook) is flawless Finnish power metal. Kalmah, norther, Nightwish, Imperanon, Wintersun, and any other extreme power metal act will never metch this album. Follow the Reaper set the bar for all similar bands to try (and ultimately fail) to match.

Lartsa
April 4th 2006

Many superb tracks on this album. This is my favorite COB album; and my eyes the definitive. I like the new direction; but I would wait for the rest of time for another album like Follow The Reaper.This Message Edited On 04.03.06

sj_2150

definitely not a 5

metalhead_matt
April 4th 2006

also the first CoB album i heard, still my favourite
nice review

Tarantino's Tarantulas
April 4th 2006

Just got into this band - Downloaded Everytime I Die & Northern Comfort, pretty fvcking good

Did Everytime I Die the band get their name from the song?

Thor
April 4th 2006

Decent review, I still think that Shadows has the best review for this album.

Neoteric
April 4th 2006

I have heard every COB album except this one, CRAP! I'll check it out when I get my new computer.

Bfhurricane
April 4th 2006

Good review though a little short. I still think Hatebreeder has better riffs, but there arent too many bands that ever produce an album as good as this one. This album is a definite recommendation for anyone whos into metal.
And this album didnt change my life, Hatebreeder got to me first :-).

MetalOz
April 4th 2006

The keyboard and guitarwork in Mask of Sanity is incredible. This is my favorite Bodom album...

gigi666
April 4th 2006

the very first song i heard from COB was Children of Decadence....and thats how i fell in love with them

Sleepy
April 4th 2006

It's a very good album, but definitely not as good as Something Wild or Hatebreeder, IMO. Not quite a five, but still a very, very solid album by a brilliant band.

Riva
April 8th 2006

Not a big fan of Children of Bodom, and I prefer Hatebreeder out of all of their releases.

metaldude437
April 9th 2006

this is my favorite CoB album, and it has one of the best CoB song ever: "Kissing the Shadows"

666maiden
November 20th 2006

i ttly agree dude. this is not only the best COB album, but the best album i've ever heard in my ENTIRE life. Better than maiden, or anything.

Cravinov13
November 20th 2006

IMO this album pwns hard, but there are better metal albums. (ex. Opeth's Blackwater Park, Hypocrisy's seft-titled, Orphaned Land's Mabool etc.)

SynGates
January 23rd 2007

Wow this album is unreal, best work by Bodom without a doubt. The only track I skip is "Every Time I Die", I'm not saying its bad, but Im never really in the mood for that kind of song. Short albeit good review.

Seek and Destroy
January 23rd 2007

This album is definitely one of my favourite albums, with some of my favourite guitar & keyboards riffs and solos.