Becoming The Archetype
I Am

good

by Probably the last mimsy USER (9 Reviews)
December 8th, 2013 | 18 replies | 786 views

Review Summary: Breakdown the Archetype

Nostalgic bands…we all have them. Those bands we grew up listening to that have influenced our growth and maturity as fans of music. For me, BTA is a stanchion of my musical progression. I have stubbornly held fast to the notion that their first three albums are well-crafted instances of prog death done right, especially in the Christian-themed arena. From originally listening to Physics of Fire back in the day, to anticipating the hell out of Dichotomy, to rediscovering the band they were in Terminate Damnation, BTA has thus far failed to disappoint my expectations. While they’ve never been a completely original band, they have never really painted with the same numbers as everyone else, and I give them credit for sticking to their formula in a scene where originality is increasingly rare. As I come to I Am, however, I have to wonder if nostalgia is the longest leg that BTA is standing on.

This then brings me to my double entendre of a summary. In this album, Becoming the Archetype have indeed broken down their own archetype by upping the prevalence of breakdown-centric deathcore. Whether this was a safe move to introduce what is now basically a new band, or just a sign that the tank might be running on empty, this album is a marked regression from a band that has pushed their music with every release whilst still retaining a familiar sound. This just doesn’t have the instantly recognizable sound that has been their mainstay. Only the occasional keyboard interlude from rhythm guitarist Seth Hecox (the only original member, incidently) will remind you that you’re listening to a BTA record. Through repeated listens one can catch glimpses of a band that once was still shine through, such as “The Planet Maker” with its sludgy riff, flashy guitar work and few instances of notable clean vocals. Another is the title track, which calls to mind the structures of past greatness from the song “End of the Age” from Dichotomy.

I suppose my problem with this album is that it wasn’t what I wanted it to be, and that can be a dangerous line to tread. I Am is by no means an abysmal record, but I held it to a checklist of the band’s back catalogue and found it lacking. So as I find myself hitting repeat on several songs, I’ve realized that I’m a bit torn by this album. While it’s by no means a landmark album by a critically acclaimed band, it now represents a bigger problem within my musical consumption. And that is letting initial bias become continual opinion. I don’t believe that there is anything wrong with only listening to music that reinforces the boundaries of one’s own taste, or that constantly redefines what those boundaries are. However, I will speak for myself when I say that such mindsets have numbed me to how truly beautiful passionate music can be.

Pillar The ReckoningCircle Takes the Square As the Roots Undo
Frost Like Ashes TophetGlass Casket We Are Gathered Here Today...
Alexx Calise Morning PillDisciple (USA-TN) Scars Remain
3.1
good
speedkills1995 (4.5)
How often do metal bands stand out in a world full of mechanized marketing ploys? Here is an excepti...

JungWooTie (2.5)
A lethal injection of mediocrity....

a est . . i . c el (2.5)
I Am is a ravishing beast that snarls its way through numerous breakdowns and riffing to give us a r...

December 8th 2013

Sorry for the rather disjointed review, but I just found this half-written in the far reaches of my hard drive and ended it on a hastily-constructed soapbox.

Storm In A Teacup
December 8th 2013

celestial completion and terminate damnation are great

December 8th 2013

Yeah this was really disappointing. Even with a new vocalist, they definitely should've done better.

Good review anyways

Digging: Olafur Arnalds - ...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness

SadAndHolyGlow
December 8th 2013

Good review, though I disagree entirely.

December 8th 2013

I hold out hope that they will find their stride again. This is growing on me though

@thirtysix:

If you like Terminate, then check out Dichotomy. So good

December 8th 2013

Didn't read. Posing because I like this guy.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

December 8th 2013

you are a gentleman and a scholar

tiesthatbind

Pos because Hobbes

But yeah, good review, and you're almost to 10 now!

eternium
December 8th 2013

Pretty sure that I was at the show that changed this band considering it was one of the last with the original bassist/vocalist and it was with the local band that the new vocalist and guitarist (Daniel and Chris) was in.

December 8th 2013

Give me another couple of years and I might just break ten, ties

And I always wanted to see the original lineup

RogueNine
December 8th 2013

Emim review! First one in forever.

December 8th 2013

Dichotomy wasn't their best, the first two tracks were great though.

December 8th 2013

Terminate Damnation will probably always be my favorite, but Dichotomy is by far the most consistent, and the best lyrically.

December 8th 2013

Agreed for the most part. Elegy is such an amazing song.

Lotus
December 8th 2013

Do u like rock metal genre

December 11th 2013