Bullet For My Valentine
The Poison

by Digis USER (6 Reviews)
December 4th, 2013 | 9 replies | 498 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A combination of agression and catchiness that will be stuck in your head for days, whether you like it or not.

It´s funny when you look back in time. Looking at yourself now, hearing some technical/progressive stuff, fully aware of what ´´real metal´´ is. And then you look to that 13 year old, having his first contact with this kind of music, not searching for any flaws or anything, just worried about how the music sounds, probably with the likes of Linkin Park, Atreyu or anything similar. Generic you might say. BFMV´s The Poison walks in the same line as those ´´generic metal bands´´, however possessing some redeeming qualities that might launch people into metal, just like it did to me. So, let´s talk a bit about it.

Firstly, you might ask, what makes this album worth the listen? Is it catchy? Is it heavy? Well, honestly, I would say it gathers the best of both worlds. After the amazing Intro , composed along with Apocalyptica,´ Her Voice Resides´ kicks in your face showcasing everything in the band´s repertoire: a nice mix of screaming and clean vocals, fast and catchy guitar riffs and an overall intensity, that keeps up for most of the album.

But wait, if that´s it, this album must be amazing, right? Well, not quite. You see, the intensity we have on tracks like´ 4 Words´ or ´Hand of Blood´ is later abandoned. Instead of the punching guitar riffs and screams, the band goes for a more accessible approach, and, while it works on some tracks like the infamous ´ Tears Don´t Fall´ or the title track, where Tuck delivers his best vocals and the music doesn´t sound bland instrumentally, it sounds dull and uninspired on tracks like ´Suffocating Under Words Of Sorrow´ and ´All These Things I Hate´. Also, this lack of inspiration will later result in all the songs on the record sounding similar, making the listen a bit repetitive.

Aside from the uninspired and cheesy songs, another problem are the lyrics. They range from average to goddamn-awful, obviously directed for a young public, and while on some cases you don´t even mind them because they are placed in a way it becomes so catchy(´ Hit The Floor´ comes to mind) on others tracks like ´All These Things I Hate´ they are just lame, really.

Well, even with all these cons, the mix of intensity and catchiness along with the nice guitar work keeps the album running pretty well, providing an enjoyable, fun listen troughout. In case you´re someone getting into metal and wants something heavy but accessible, this album is worth your listen.

Apocalyptica CultDiamond Head All Will Be Revealed
Paradox HeresyParadox Product of Imagination
Communic Conspiracy In Mind
user ratings (2090)

Digis
December 4th 2013

Didn´t know where to start so i used the ´´first album,first review´´ criteria. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Brostep
December 4th 2013

first off - those aren't the apostrophes you want. use a find-replace and replace it with '

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

December 4th 2013

Righto first review, so let's take this on board.

It must be funny to look back at your life, your readers however are likely not to share your nostalgic thoughts.

´´generic metal bands´´

*"text"

As above, your assumptions of your readers may not be shared. You're spit-balling, speculating without backing up your thesis.

_________________________________________________________________
More on the next post

December 4th 2013

So, let´s talk a bit about it.

It's your review, with your opinion - We don't need to hear that we're going to talk about it. Why else would your readers read? It's redundant.

You've somehow thrown a blanket over the queries without answering any of the questions.

Her Voice Resides´ kicks in your face showcasing

I'm not going to lie, I've never been kicked in the face by a record, never had it melted off during a blistering solo, never been physically crushed by a bone-crushing riff...

that keeps up for most of the album.

Where does it not? It's not a bad idea to get specific.

Similar, repetitive? Find some better adjectives.

______________________________________________________________
More on next.

December 4th 2013

But wait, if that´s it, this album must be amazing, right?

Your question asking is getting ridiculous.

the band goes for a more accessible approach,

Don't be afraid to flesh out your ideas. How does the band become more accessible?

Whole paragraph contradicts the rest of the review and sounds like a twelve year old's rant.

That will do.

ChopSuey

thats a lot

December 4th 2013

There was more, but for a first review, we can keep things simple.

Digis
December 4th 2013

Well, that´s really a lot, wow ;-;. But yea i see your point. Needs more objectivity,
less asking(lol) and perhaps a little more in-depht about what i really feel about the album in a whole? Will look forward to improve,thanks a lot.

December 4th 2013

It's not bad for a first, keep going it will get better.