Neck Deep
Rain In July

1.5
very poor

by Professional Reviewer USER (2 Reviews)
December 2nd, 2013 | 28 replies | 3,852 views

Review Summary: All hype, no heart.

Well, this revival of pop punk was fun for the short time it lasted. It happens to every genre 'scene'. A few solid bands get popular and the entire genre becomes saturated with tons of generic ripoffs (see post-hardcore/metalcore since ~2006). Enter new pop punk phenomenon Neck Deep, a blatant ripoff of The Story So Far. Ben Barlow steals Parker Cannon's vocal delivery and lyrical content, and Neck Deep steals The Story So Far's stage presence, down to their clothing. It's not like pop punk is an innovative genre to begin with, but there's no uniqueness on this EP; in fact, every song is void of personality.

Rain in July starts out decently enough with opener "Kick It". And it's all downhill from there. The remaining songs range from unmemorable ("Silver Lining") to pointless ("All Hype, No Heart") to god awful ("A Part of Me"). Ben Barlow can't sing, and it makes these songs even harder to get through. Need proof? Watch "A Part of Me" acoustic @ www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkbSlPH95nE where he struggles with singing his own song, in a lower key than it's recorded in, no less. The ratio for likes to dislikes is 40:1, so along with having bad taste in music, Neck Deep fans must be tone deaf. His lyrics are vapid and occasionally cringeworthy, like in "What Did You Expect?" (You went and fucked this up 'cause you couldn't keep your legs shut) or literally the entire song "A Part of Me". Unlike Ben Barlow, the rest of the band isn't offensive, just painfully generic.

This is the product of a band capitalizing on the latest trend... and it's working. They shouldn't be getting as popular as they are. Apparently there's no quality control on Tumblr and the users promote every pop punk band who fits into the scene. Stop it.

3.2
good

Rhyme
December 2nd 2013

Few issues here. Italicize album title instead and don't bold things because it doesn't make your point any more effective.

"Need proof? Watch "A Part of Me" acoustic @ www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkbSlPH95nE where he struggles with singing his own song, in a lower key than it's recorded in, no less. The ratio for likes to dislikes is 40:1, so along with having bad taste in music, Neck Deep fans must be tone deaf."

Remove this and reference the actual album instead of a live video because this the album were talking about here. I don't think I need to explain the why whole like/dislike ratio and insult to Neck Deep fans is inappropriate.

"The remaining songs range from unmemorable ("Silver Lining") to pointless ("All Hype, No Heart") to god awful ("A Part of Me")."

Expand your ideas here. Explain why those songs are unmemorable, pointless, and god awful.

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

December 2nd 2013

you're supposed to underline album titles.

it does make my point more effective.

the live video shows how autotuned his voice is on the ep and how it hardly works for him, as he still sounds horrible. i should make that more clear.

yeah, i'll expand on individual songs. i just didn't want to do a covered up tbt.

thanks.

Cygnatti
December 2nd 2013

yes, don't even like tssf all that much but this band is the fucking worst.

Digging: The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Cygnatti

hey andrew

SatelliteYears
December 2nd 2013

Didn't realize how bad the lyrics were on this album. Good review even though I disagree, I think it's mediocre instead of bad.

MadKungFu
December 2nd 2013

With a little more effort this could have been a great review. Album is very nearly shit.

East Hastings

You suck

dimsim3478
December 3rd 2013

Oh shit I was almost gonna buy tix to see these guys. Admittedly it was for the support (Trophy Eyes) but THANK GOD I DIDN'T

Digging: My Psychoanalyst - Choreomania

December 3rd 2013

damn maybe i'll get it right next time

yourmindsdecide
December 3rd 2013

To be fair, that video was made after a gig and they probably played their own songs well, but the singer was just tired or some shit.

Album is atrocious though.

Eulogize

good album

FUCK HIS CAR AND FUCK HIS MUNNAYYYY

Eulogize

word

IfYouRun
December 3rd 2013

Keep in mind they had been a band for 3 months max when they made this EP. Check out their newer EP, the quality is MUCH better.

December 3rd 2013

lol what kind of logic is that

i dont care if they had only been a band for a week, the ep is still shit

and in their new one they rip off the wonder years + the story so far. it's better, i gave it a 2, accurately

December 4th 2013

"you're supposed to underline album titles.

it does make my point more effective.

the like/dislike ratio further proves my point about Tumblr fans and the state of the pop punk scene."

wut

KSK1
December 4th 2013

My rating is way too high but I actually liked this

"wut"

yea

joshieboy12345
January 9th 2014

I get where you're coming from with the band being just a cheap TSSF. Agreed.

Digging: Rise Against - The Black Market

YakNips
June 7th 2014

Digging: Hit the Pigeon Boy! - It's a Pretty Dark Place to Leave a Piece of Light