The Residents
The Third Reich 'n Roll

by nig USER (37 Reviews)
November 30th, 2013 | 10 replies | 701 views

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If the Third Reich were to be successful...

In 1974, The Residents, an avant-garde rock band from Louisiana, released their debut album, Meet the Residents, to little acclaim. Only forty copies were sold, with others being returned unopened in its first year. Only did it gain critical acclaim decades later.

Its follow-up, The Third Reich 'n Roll, released in 1976, used more of the experimental methods used on the band's debut, and with those methods, deconstructed and destroyed several songs of the 1960s. A parody of pop music and commercials of said time period, the album consists of two side-long epics, Swastikas on Parade, and Hitler Was a Vegetarian.

On both sides were the butchering of many classic songs of the 60s, as well as some obscure tracks such as Telstar and 96 Tears. This time around, the band garnered controversy for the cover art in which it depicted Dick Clark, a well-renowned entertainer, in a Nazi uniform holding a carrot while being surrounded by swastikas, pictures of a dancing Adolf Hitler in both male and female dress, as well as other forms of paraphernalia. This would lead to the German pressing being heavily censored with every Nazi reference being covered with the word "censored".

The Residents utilize their many instruments to thoroughly massacre the thirty songs integrated into both tracks on Third Reich. Like Meet the Residents, Third Reich 'n Roll didn't gather much attention, although the controversy surrounding the art helped the band gain some attention publicly, helping their album sales and nurturing a growing fan base.

The Third Reich 'n Roll gives the listener thirty-six minutes of noise, a destruction of the pop hits of the 1960s, putting their own odd and quirky spin on them, making them their own. It's horrifying to say the least, to the point where it works as a serious album. It works so well that anyone could listen to it, being one of their most accessible albums along with Duck Stab and Eskimo. The sound of the album may put one off at first, but given the time, one can grow to appreciate it as not only noise, but art as well.

The Mothers of Invention Uncle MeatOctobre Octobre
St. Vincent St. VincentThe Uniques From The Dust
The Enid Something Wicked This Way ComesDry Satire Demo

November 30th 2013

Another review, another month. Hopefully, I'm keeping the quality of my writing up.

Digging: The Flaming Lips - 7 Skies H3

what do you think?

crutchfieldtongs
November 30th 2013

Good album review. You should check out Gingerbread Man, Demons Dance Alone, God in Three Persons, Not Available, and Duck Stab if you haven't already.

Grimsby
November 30th 2013

pretty good review, does the album justice.

November 30th 2013

I'm going through the discog right now, currently at Commercial Album...

Jethro42

12036 Comments

I probably wont be approaching that band, since you said it probably wouldn't be my thing.
Good job on the review.

December 1st 2013

Well, even if I said that, doesn't mean you could give it a try, although this isn't a good starting point. If you were to try an album out, you're better off with Duck Stab or Eskimo.

December 1st 2013

Sir, I did not even notice this review on the front page. It looks interesting. I'm assuming its easy to find on YouTube so ill have a look. Pos'd btw

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

December 1st 2013

I listened to few minutes off this link:

and there's some really great vibes on this. I think I may reserve some to hear it properly through and through.

January 27th 2014