Manowar
Hail to England

by LaughingSkull USER (30 Reviews)
November 29th, 2013 | 14 replies | 474 views

Release Date: 1984 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Once upon a time...

It is unfortunate when a band becomes so maligned, so reviled within the metal community (even if deservedly so), that it gets to the point where its past merits become overlooked. Nowadays, Manowar are a parody of themselves -- With their incessant obnoxious repetition of "death to false metal" and assertion that they are the one and only "true metal" band, as well as lyrics that are a random permutation of the words sword, shield, metal, iron, fire, dragon, death of my enemies, lord of the kingdom of steel, etc., the band does nothing but lose whatever little fanbase it has left.

But there was a time when things were different. In the early eighties, before the "fame", before the pretentiousness, this band was still able to deliver genuine metal classics and avoid cliches, without having to constantly reassert their true-metal-ness. And it is worthwhile to abstract oneself from Manowar's recent failures and have a listen at what the band produced in that time. After a rock-n-roll influenced debut Battle Hymns and a more fantasy-oriented Into Glory Ride, the band arrived at what was arguably its best effort at the time, Hail to England.

Heavily grounded in traditional metal, with the occasional stab at the epic, Hail to England is a bona-fide masterpiece. With simple, yet effective riffs (see Hail to England), heavily accentuated bass (Each Dawn I Die), and Eric Adams' trademark wails (see Kill With Power), the album succeeds in being a keystone within the band's catalog. Adams' vocal presence is key to driving the band's music and few people will admit that he is one of the greats as far as metal vocalists go, with not many able to replicate his style. Meanwhile, Ross "the Boss" Friedman's lead work is also to be reckoned with, as his shredding on tracks such as Army of the Immortals proves that he is quite the underappreciated guitarist.
Opener Blood of My Enemies is easily one of the band's best songs, whereas the doom-laden epic closer Bridge of Death is a logical conclusion to the otherwise short duration of the album. Army of the Immortals is perhaps the most memorable track on the album, with Adams' chants "Stronger" in an ever-higher pitch at the end being absolutely shattering.
The one track that sits oddly is Black Arrows. Supposed to display DeMaio's proficiency on the bass, it comes off as chuckle-inducing. Take it with a grain of salt.

Recommended tracks:

Pantera Vulgar Display of PowerMachine Head The Blackening
Mike Stagno EMERITUS (4)

manosg
November 29th 2013

Hell yeah, a Manowar review. Autopos man.

Has anyone heard the news that these guys plan to rerecord Kings of Metal?

Digging: Jan Akkerman - Tabernakel

Gwyn.

band is a joke

lostforwords
November 29th 2013

Damn eternal masterpiece, 4 is too little!!!
Pos by the way, at least 4 indicates respect

"Hell yeah, a Manowar review. Autopos man." [2]

LaughingSkull
November 29th 2013

@ lostforwords, I was considering a 4.5, but eventually settled on the 4. Still an amazing album that everyone should check out. Shame that the band gets so much hate right now. It detracts from the masterpieces it produced at the beginning of its career.

lostforwords
November 29th 2013

Well I'm that kind of a Manowar fan who's gonna ask you "when did they stop producing masterpieces???"
Lol, I love every single one of their albums, but I do understand that they have their ups and downs, objectively

Hoppoman
November 29th 2013

This is my feel good album.

November 29th 2013

yeah it feels good alright.

climactic

psyclonus
December 3rd 2013

DIE! DIIEEEE!!!

zaruyache
December 4th 2013

Band isn't a joke, band is straight up American patriotism. We need less politicians and more MANOWAR.

Digging: Paramnesia - Paramnesia

December 4th 2013

I agree, but American.....?

Manowar is English dude.

zaruyache
December 5th 2013

They're from Auburn, New York. They have American flags and eagles on their album covers for christsake.

Judio!
December 5th 2013

Nice review, but your rating for this album is confusing. To call this alum "a bonfied masterpiece" and then to turn around and give it a 4 seems strange to me. In any event, have a pos.

Digging: Converge - You Fail Me