Grant Lee Buffalo
Fuzzy

by zakalwe USER (5 Reviews)
November 27th, 2013 | 31 replies

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A 90s alt rock masterpiece pulled from a conjurers top hat.

Grant Lee Buffalo a Californian alt rock three piece were thrust into the world of potential stardom when this, their debut was proclaimed by R.E.Ms’ Michael Stipe to be the best album of 1993. MTV and the worlds arenas beckoned as Grant Lee Buffalo had a support slot on R.E.Ms’ Monster tour. The door was opened for the masses to listen but they simultaneously shrugged, sniffed, turned their backs and forgot .

Twenty years on however and this cult classic when listened to conjures up vivid images of 19th century vaudevillian acts conducting smoke and mirror tricks played out in plush decorated parlours of velvet red drapery. All the while the insinuation of voodoo, spirits and metaphysical unknowns splice songs that rant political discontent.
No wonder backs were turned.

The opener ‘The Shining Hour’ with its relatively quick tempo and lyrics confessing “It kills me to think that I’m no longer living just looking for excuses to drink. So lift up your glass and your Ouija board cos’ I’m fading fast” hold onto the otherworldly séance atmosphere that vibrates throughout the album.

The pace is slowed with Jupiter and Teardrop, a tale of two lovers torn by troubles with the law which is sung with a croon which explodes making it all seem like its been lived. The song soars with a great guitar solo to accompany the expressed situation of the 38. Calibre wielding Teardrop.

Pardon the shocking alliteration but ‘Fuzzy’ follows where again vocalist Grant Lee Phillips with an almost Morrisonesque vocal style sings of a love |watering “like a dead bouquet” over a slow acoustic groove.

The album which has a Velvet Underground, Venus in Fur style influence at its foundation goes onto explore predatory sex offenders, ghostly encounters with voodoo mistresses in New Orleans and in the track Grace the exploitation of Native Americans which has the superlative lyric “You remember Houdini who not a shackle could hold, carved a trapdoor into Heaven to escape growing old.”

The political angst is palpable in tracks, Stars N Stripes and America Snoring but never forced and always sung in a melancholic voice that captivates.
The true value of this album is that every song whether it be personal, parable, rant or ode is done with a heartfelt quality that for those who don’t turn their backs will forever hold an indelibility of realism and honesty.

The vaudevillian show with its smoke and mirrors was all fantastical illusion this however is nothing but truth, reality and a highly recommended enthralling listen.

Mighty Joe Moon

Really cool album.
Well said, pos'd.

MadKungFu
November 27th 2013

Damn, now I have to check this out. Feel like it's going to end up being around a 4 for me, based on your review

November 27th 2013

Jupiter and Teardrop dude prepare yourself. Thanks for the pos'

Cygnatti

awesome stuff

Digging: Jon Hopkins - Immunity

November 27th 2013

I am going to make it my life's goal to get this album some deserved high rankings and drum up at least 50 votes. It's an out and out class record.
"Propagandacid dropped on the youth."
"Yeah my truck run over false prophet signs"
Classic stuff.

donovan909
November 27th 2013

Fantastic album. It deserved an in-depth review. Pos'd! I would give this a 4, only because Mighty Joe Moon takes what Phillips did on here and absolutely perfected his sound. Just saw him live, he is a brilliant performer!

donovan909

November 27th 2013

@donovan Agreed with Mighty Joe Moon being a fantastic album. Lone Star Song is an all time opening great of mine but as a whole it fails to hit the highs of this debut for me. I missed my chance to see Grant Lee Phillips a few years back and I often get a pang of missed opportunity. Did he play any of this?

November 28th 2013

Before this slips out of sight. Listen.

Stars n Stripes
"There's a cure in sight set your soul at ease from the red and white and the blue disease"

TWIGtheWONDERKID
November 28th 2013

Good job, this is a great album, and good luck getting those 50 votes.

Digging: Perfume Genius - Too Bright

December 1st 2013

Please listen to this monumental record.

Pheromone
June 5th 2014

Gave this a listen a while back, was pretty good

Digging: Doves - Lost Souls

July 10th 2014

Been giving this a listen going back years Phero bro, it's fucking amazing

Arcade
July 15th 2014

Jesus Christ 14 votes fucking c'mon this trounces animal collective and all that shit with 1000+ votes

Digging: Aphex Twin - Syro

This trounces the lot.

Arcade

"Jupiter & Teardrop" is one of the best songs ever

July 15th 2014

Agreed hard, listening to stars n stripes now as a result of the bump.
Total classic!!!!! Doesn't get much better.

tommygun

pos

need this

Digging: Broods - Evergreen

Rules

tommygun
August 19th 2014

on a rather questionable looking download that looks like a few of his records all thrown in, which others should i be checking dude