Aegaeon
Exponential Transcendence

by Nocturnal USER (3 Reviews)
November 26th, 2013 | 13 replies | 653 views

Review Summary: BR00TAL. And then some.

Aegaeon are a 5 piece deathcore band hailing from Evansville, Indiana that have been making a name for themselves in the DIY scene as a studio and touring band since forming in late 2008 and self releasing 3 albums (2 Ep's,1 Lp). What separates Aegaeon from the million other deathcore bands on the planet is that they write some of the most genuinely heavy and brutal deathcore with well thought out song structures and well placed breakdowns.

"Exponential Transcendence" is the first EP they released and that was in the glorious year of 2009 and right from the opening second's your ears are assaulted by blast beats, speedy tremolo riffing and insanely aggressive, low growls. Mix that with massive breakdowns, huge chugging riffs, the occasional melodic section plus a few solos and you have the general components for any track off of this album. Despite the songwriting being very similar and may seem rather generic on paper, the vocalist shines through with his spectacular growls. Unlike most vocalist's in the genre, Jim Martin chooses to not really use many techniques and just stick to use his bread and butter which are his crushing powerful low growls, and an occasional even lower one. Although his vocals are completely indecipherable and may come across as monotone to some because of the lack of range, in my opinion it's compliments the band's sound very well and is a major strength within the band.

Despite the mega brutality of this very entertaining Ep this album is by no means a game changer. This is a deathcore album for deathcore fans and they show exactly how to pull off this style correctly. With all that said do yourselves a favour and check this album and band out that is without doubt in the upper echelon of dxc scene and a band to keep an eye on.

Great EP, solid review.

November 26th 2013

It really is great I can't believe that I've only just recently discovered them.

Digging: The Contortionist - Exoplanet

November 26th 2013

This is probably one of their better releases. But I listen to Dissension a lot more often I would have to say. I was about to review this if no one else had gotten around to it

November 26th 2013

True man I really like Dissension too. You gonna review their other ep?

November 26th 2013

IDK maybe. I like it but I'm not as taken with it and I'd probably just recycle a lot of what I said when I reviewed Dissension. Have you heard Neural Union?? Its awesome.

November 26th 2013

Ya I have man, It's sick I'm really looking forward to their next release. Hopefully I get the chance to catch a show soon too.

November 26th 2013

Yeah I've seen then with the old and new vocalist and both times they were great.

November 26th 2013

Nice and that's good to hear and I bet the whole band sounds massive.

November 26th 2013

yeah definitely massive. their drummer is a monster

TheMoreira
November 27th 2013

I've heard of these dudes before, never listened to their stuff though. This reviews steers me to think that i should check them i mean "This is a deathcore album for deathcore fans and they show exactly how to pull off this style correctly." that's Moreira stuff then.

Nice little review, will eventually listen to this mate m/ pos'd

Digging: The Chariot - Long Live

November 27th 2013

Thanks man and ya it's some really heavy stuff I have a feeling it's definitely a Moreira jam.

Havey
November 27th 2013

stop pluralizing with apostrophes you fuckin dolt

Digging: Tim McGraw - Not a Moment Too Soon