Nickelback
The Best of Nickelback Volume 1

1.0
awful

by Scott M. Baldwin USER (111 Reviews)
November 24th, 2013 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Chad Koeger just does NOT fucking get it.

All you need to do to get what is wrong with this CD, and to get the sense that my review and the other review of this CD on this site is pointless, is just to look at the album cover alone. Now, I am a firm believer in the sentiment of "Never judge a book by it's cover", but the CD's problems are emblazoned practically VERY loudly on the cover, and the funny thing is, it's two words. Sure, "The Best of Nickelback" is a questionable title, but right underneath it is the real problem: "Volume 1".

This is, given the fact that Nickelback have a grand total of 7 albums, and almost, if not, all their radio friendly hits are on this album. So what will Volume 2 consist of, the B-material and other dross that makes up a Nickelback album? But whatever, that's not the point of this review. There are a total of 18 tracks, and all the songs are their radio-friendly tracks. And it's when they're all lumped together where you get the real sense if what's wrong with Nickelback's music: it's almost as if they're appealing to the lowest common denominator. Me their formula for what makes their music becomes ever-so-apparent: "A repetitive four-note riff, lyrics about either how times were so damned great back when I was a teenager- or sex- about how we'e gonna get so extremely drunk and *** *** up, a chorus that's remotely decent, rinse and repeat". And this is made doubly so when "Photograph" opens the album. Even someone who has never heard the band before will get this sense with these lyrics:

"This is where I grew up
I'm sure the present owner fixed it up
I never knew we'd ever went without
The second floor sure is hard for sneaking out
"

Look at that. He rhymed "up" with "up" and "out" with "out". And "I never knew we'd ever went without?" That makes NO SENSE at all.

Getting back on topic, this song and "How You Remind Me" both open the album, and stomper "Burn it to the Ground" is next". From there on, we get a tracklisting that at this point, a deaf-mute can predict. "Someday"? Check. "Never Again"? Check. Rape anthems "Figured You Out" and "Something In Your Mouth"?, ah, what's the frakking point. They're ALL on here. And not that I'm trying to knock anyone who likes this band or wants to get into them, because, who am I to judge people's tastes. The problem here is that all their radio-friendly hits are on this album.

And that brings me to the real problem here: why is this called "The Best of Nickelback"? Or even that with "Volume 1" loudly emblazoned below it? If you called it "The Hits", maybe, just MAYBE there won't be so many "blank CD" jokes. And considering that these guys are so filthy stinking rich off the sales of their radio-rock 101 CDs they've released, not only is the money-making ploy here even more obvious, but considering that there will be a second volume coming in about a month's time or so, what convinces them that people are going to give a flying rat's behind about the "B" material? Well, I'm sure we'll find out the answer when the earth has ended and all that's left on the ground is rubble and ants.

Iron Maiden Live at DoningtonBetween the Buried and Me Coma Ecliptic
Barenaked Ladies SilverballMuse Drones
Iron Maiden The Essential Iron MaidenMadonna Rebel Heart
1.4
very poor
Alex Beebe (1.5)
*insert obligatory blank CD joke here*...

TheMoonchild
November 24th 2013

Kind of pointless but it was a fun review to write.

Tyrael
November 24th 2013

'...and it's when they're all lumped together where you get the real sense if what's wrong with Nickelback's music: it's almost as if they're appealing to the lowest common denominator.'

Almost?

Gwyn.

frakking

Don't do this

Ever

Those quotation marks at the very end shouldn't be there

Pheromone
November 24th 2013

stop referring to it as a CD it's annoying as fuck and made me not read the review because all I could see was

CD CD

ah

theres gonna be a Vol. 2

jefflebowski
November 24th 2013

this is the review equivalent of the self-righteous '99% of teenagers don't listen to real music' comments on youtube

Digging: Ricardo Villalobos - Thé Au Harem D'Archimède

Insurrection

this needed another review

Digging: Lamb of God - VII: Sturm und Drang

TheMoonchild
November 24th 2013

I used the term "CD" five times in the entire review.

RobbaqPL
November 24th 2013

I swear to God, at this point hating on Nickelback makes me almost as angry as Nickelback. You know what's the best way of making something you hate die and be forgotten? Not talking about it.
I won't neg, because it's not an offensively bad review (it's okay) and I'm pretty sure we're going to get at least three worse ones this week.

TPM731
November 24th 2013

This actually is not very well-written. You don't give any justification other than the fact that it's "radio-friendly", or that its for the "lowest common denominator." You need to back up your examples better.

I'm actually kind of tired of the "hate Nickelback on sight" attitudes. How many of you have actually listened to Nickelback? Most of you are probably just jumping on the bandwagon. In my opinion, Nickelback are an average post-grunge band, not deserving of all the scorn they receive or the many albums they have sold.

JS19

tommygun

terrible review

jefflebowski
November 24th 2013

'I'm actually kind of tired of the "hate Nickelback on site" attitudes. How many of you have actually listened to Nickelback? Most of you are probably just jumping on the bandwagon. In my opinion, Nickelback are an average post-grunge band, not deserving of all the scorn they receive or the many albums they have sold.'

this is 100% on the money

TPM731
November 24th 2013

Finally someone who agrees with me.

Also, I find it ironic that people accuse Nickelback of rehashing their songs constantly, when their favorite shitty underground black metal band is probably doing the exact same thing.

Of course, I'm not saying that everyone who dislikes Nickelback is like that. But that's what most of the bandwagon haters seem like to me.

Owantjaaaa
November 25th 2013

why would you even waste your time on nickelback, they suck yeah
but there are so many bands that are much worse

Digging: Mutoid Man - Bleeder

PostMesmeric
November 25th 2013

I'm starting to get more annoyed with people who constantly hate on Nickelback than the people who actually like their music. At least the fans shut up about Nickelback every now and then.