Cathedral
The Ethereal Mirror

by Robert Davis CONTRIBUTOR (149 Reviews)
November 24th, 2013 | 19 replies | 2,012 views

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Though the band have now split, Cathedral's career high-point is definitely displayed within the wild heart of The ethereal mirror.

Now that the members of Cathedral have gone their separate ways, it seems a fitting time and place to commemorate that nostalgic period of the band's career, the period which gave the world instant classics of the Doom Metal genre such as Forest of equilibrium, The ethereal mirror and The carnival bizarre. For those who remember listening to the haunting overtones of those albums for the first time, and becoming mesmerized by the gargantuan, mammoth-sized doom-laden riffs which never hindered the overall musical quality, it is inevitable that The ethereal mirror is often regarded as Cathedral's true musical peak, and there are many, many reasons for that.

The ethereal mirror marked a big musical change for Cathedral. Yes, the dark, hellishly doomy musical effects were still there in spades (“Enter the worms”, “Jaded entity”, “Phantasmagoria”), but there was still something about the album overall which distanced itself from its gloomy predecessor. Perhaps it was the more upbeat (Note: NOT uplifting) nature of the stoner rock-influenced “Rise”, the surprising catchiness of “Midnight mountain” or even the sudden acoustic interludes towards the end of “Grim luxuria” and throughout album closer “Imprisoned in flesh”. Whatever it was, everyone who listened to The ethereal mirror knew that this didn't sound like the band who produced Forest of equilibrium.

That said, The ethereal mirror is near enough flawless. In fact, as close to flawless as Cathedral have ever come in their entire career. The instrumentation is heavier and more experimental, Dorrian's vocals are eerier than Vincent Price in his prime, and the atmosphere, unsurprisingly, matches that of a mass-murder funeral. Just listen to the consistently disturbing sounds of “Enter the worms”. The beginning sounds like it would accompany a fresh horde of zombies, and from that point onwards the song itself only seems to drag you down ever further into a blackened abyss. The same thing can be felt throughout the rest of the album, particularly on the more laid-back nature of “Fountain of innocence” and the varied vocal range of Dorrian's cackling voice on “Jaded entity”. However, this arsenal of doom-laden songs are well balanced by a more groove-oriented, sometimes bluesier tone. This can be found in the upbeat “Midnight mountain”, stoner-rock influenced “Rise” and the unsettling grooves found deep within “Grim Luxuria”.

Musical changes aside however, the one thing which made The ethereal mirror as effective as it is today is definitely the instrumentation. Not to say that Dorrian didn't play a respectably big role in the production of Cathedral's second album, but Jennings, Whartone and Lehan really breathed fresh sounds into the mix with their respective instruments. Jennings adds a crushingly heavy guitar tone to every song bar the intro and outro of the album, Whartone's powerful drumming brings an extra crunch or two to the recording and Lehan's bass rumbles throughout most of the songs to a grinding albeit satisfying halt. In particular the perfectly consistent “Enter the worms” and “Fountain of innocence” are largely helped by a solid, monumental rhythm section. Throughout both of those songs, everything just sounds so natural and you can really feel the ambition of the band's teamwork pouring through, and it's only a matter of time before the album is finished, and you're left feeling so excited that you just have to push the replay button again and again.

The ethereal mirror, if not timeless, is most definitely worthy of any metalhead's album collection. You might not approve of Dorrian's particular vocal style in the end, but there's always going to be something within Cathedral's second album which will turn heads. It is (and was, two decades ago) simply an exercise in producing a consistent, mesmerizing set of songs which shows all sides of the band's musical extravaganza, the experimentation very rarely failing to surpass the band's heavier doom-laden sounds.

Electric Light Orchestra On the Third DayNunslaughter Angelic Dread
Blues Pills Blues PillsAlestorm Sunset on the Golden Age
Dying Fetus Killing on AdrenalineDying Fetus Purification Through Violence

Athom
November 24th 2013

Musically I love this record but the vocals irk me to no end.

VisionsFromTheDarkSide

Will definitely check

Wizard

19333 Comments

I really need to check these guys back catalogue out.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

manosg
November 24th 2013

This didn't have a review? That's insane.

As always, review is well written, pos.

Digging: Saviour Machine - Saviour Machine I

linguist2011
November 24th 2013

@redskyformiles: I think the vocals are always going to be divisive among fans of the band are the genre in general, but personally I think the vocals fit the music. It's personal preference for sure though.

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

Pestiferous
November 24th 2013

I need to hear more from this band

Voivod
November 24th 2013

Good review for a siiiiiiiick album, pos.

This album has marked my teenage years in the most profound of ways.-

Some remarks:

I would swap "gloomy soul" with "wild heart" because the band is out of control on this album.

Also, I agree that The Ethereal Mirror is Cathedral's magnum opus during their upbeat AND uplifting stoner rock period, although many would argue that this title belongs to Carnival Bizarre.

Digging: Troldhaugen - Obzkure Anekdotez For Maniakal Massez

Tyrannic

OK U WIN

but im not leaving my house still fuck you fuck you foooooook

psyclonus
November 24th 2013

their best work. nice review

Jruined
November 24th 2013

I just listened to this and hour or so ago, and low and behold I find this review on the front page.

Digging: Samla Mammas Manna - Klossa Knapitatet

November 25th 2013

Wanted to review this so badly.
Nevermind, as it is reviewed by a good reviewer.

November 25th 2013

Btw, this is, hands down, the best Cathedral album.

linguist2011
November 25th 2013

Totally agree with you there.

ksoflas

Killer album!
Pos'd.

TheCrocodile
November 25th 2013

Thought about reviewing this to. Might bump my rating to a 4 but idk, a few songs on here annoy me a bit.

Good review.

BlackLlama
November 25th 2013

I haven't listened to Cathedral in years. Going to have to change that this week!

Digging: Stigmata - Do Unto Others

Wizard

19333 Comments

Why I haven't heard this sooner beats the hell out of me.

Voivod

Awesome album :D

January 3rd 2014

"Ashes You Leave" is devastating.