Portishead
Portishead

by Ben Thornburgh CONTRIBUTOR (127 Reviews)
November 19th, 2013 | 21 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: For Tomorrow: A Guide to Contemporary British Music, 1988-2013 (Part 33)

Geez, I thought Dummy was a cold album. Apparently Portishead spent the interim between their first and second albums in Siberia with a couple canisters of liquid nitrogen handy because Portishead has ice sliced in its veins. Beth Gibbons in particular sounds like she’s crunching icicles between her teeth here, singing with enough chilly menace and venom to make Dummy look like an Aruba getaway. Portishead’s self-titled sophomore effort finds the band rising from their depressed stupor and advancing on their foes with teeth bared.

If Dummy emphasized bass to make loneliness feel plush, Portishead uses treble to mimic it’s knife edge. “Cowboys” makes Portishead’s newfound sense of aggression crystal clear from second one as an ominous sample spells doom long before the singing starts. "Did you sweep us far from your feet?/Reset in stone this stark belief,” seethes Gibbons, “Salted eyes and a sordid dye/Too many years.” She renders each word in a hissing accent, each word escapes her teeth like she’s been planning every letter from a prison cell. “Only You” finds Gibbons huffing the oh so Portisheady “We suffer every day/What is it for?/These crowns of illusion are fooling us all”. Portishead features a greater use of self sampling - which is the band making music, laying it to tape, and sampling it – than Dummy, lending the album a further sense of icy detachment due to its samples not existing outside the album.

Although Portishead benefits from having a clear songwriting focus it wants for the standout singles of Dummy and feels flatter as a result. Without an “It Could Be Sweet” or “It’s a Fire” as a reprive from the metallic heartbreak, Portishead can become tiring around the midway mark. Nonetheless, Portishead is a solid entry into the fascinating subgenre of trip-hop, a genre that would see one more defining work before the end of the decade.

D'Angelo Black MessiahThe Futureheads The Futureheads
Eminem SHADYXVOne Direction Four
Mylo Destroy Rock And RollThe Streets A Grand Don't Come For Free
SigismundFreudian (5)
Portishead takes us on a Space Odyssey....

Michael Freitag (4)
A solid Trip Hop album with many interesting and memorable songs. Beth Gibbons melts the listener's ...

Third

Twittuh: https://twitter.com/HolidayKirk
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/ben.thornburgh

Relinquished
November 19th 2013

missing an quotation at the beginning of the first lyric mention

oltnabrick

Best Portishead

Brostep

mimic it’s knife edge.

otherwise ace review

Digging: Nicki Minaj - The Pinkprint

November 20th 2013

Good review as usual, been meaning to get into Portishead, but not sure whether to start at here or at Dummy

Digging: Cal Chuchesta - Cocoa

November 20th 2013

Btw, the comment at the end, is a review of Homogenic in store?

HolidayKirk
November 20th 2013

Sorry, she's from Iceland. I do want to do that album justice one day though.

November 20th 2013

Ahhh true true. I was more so thinking about how it could be considered a defining trip-hop record, and I know she lived in the UK for awhile, but you're right

ProfessorVeerappan
November 21st 2013

Reviewer you made me get this album today...
as i hear the songs i sense this moving into something which is immensely the unknown..
there is nothing great about the album besides the name of the artist the Build-up of their First album..
okay album...

November 21st 2013

I love this album. I really like the way they added menace to the mix, but I guess it's not for everyone. You did a great job describing the atmosphere; with Portishead it’s all about the atmosphere.

Digging: Galleon - From Land to Ocean

absolutely solid album

ExplosiveOranges
August 30th 2014

I prefer Dummy and Third, but this is still great.

Digging: Millicent Waffles - Under Dark Blue Blanket

1958 Comments

reading this, I don't get how this is tiring at all. It goes by quite quickly, but I only have a copy on vinyl, so that probably plays a factor

oh shit comin close to 5ing this

September 2nd 2014

I always thought this was their best. it's brilliant--much better than the 3.5 suggested by the review.

1958 Comments

The first half undeniably overshadows the latter, but it's all really solid stuff

September 2nd 2014

Does it? I don't know . . . 'Cowboys' and 'All Mine' are a great start, but i think it is a pretty even album. 'Western Eyes' and 'Only You' are two of my favorites.

1958 Comments

Those two are absolutely great songs, and the ones that follow those are good as well. Somewhere in the middle of the album, it sort of loses me for a quick bit, so I need to let this one sit for a while before I can really make a decision on it. Definite 4.5 at the least.

September 2nd 2014

4.5 or 5, it's a great album--enjoy.

footballtrivia
September 22nd 2014

Great album! Didn't enjoy it as much as "Dummy" but that's probably a pretty cliche statement.

Digging: Angels and Airwaves - The Dream Walker