Vastum
Patricidal Lust

by James Lentil USER (9 Reviews)
November 19th, 2013 | 16 replies | 1,296 views

Release Date: 11/12/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Another solid offering of old school death metal ala modern composers.

Most individuals who may stay up on modern death metal releases may have no clue who Vastum is, or even less, heard of them. Simply put they’re a band who writes solid death metal favoring the old school vibes. Fans of Funebrarum, Entombed, and Bolt Thrower should find themselves right at home here. Vastum doesn’t focus on trying to change the genre they mainly are geared towards releases well written music using tried and proven formulas from the old school death metal frontiers. Since their beginning in 2009 they’ve released two LP’s which brings us to our discussion of their second offering Patricidal Lust. Just the name itself signifies some sick stuff. Lyrics about children killing their parents is besides me but that’s what we have here and that’s what Vastum has decided as their top in this offering. Whether the topics come from their own personal experiences or if they are choosing to write about it in the third person is besides me but as artists they should be respected with the understanding that they are approaching subject as just that, ‘artists’.

The opener “Season in the Claustrum” is good track Vastum choose as the opener. Because of its slow doom-like tempo and crushing riffs it allows the listener to adjust to the production quality and crusty guitars, drawing them into a realm of darkness and despair which suites the music’s theme well. As with most proper death metal albums a good blend of crushing doom riffs and faster paced tremolos are always welcome when done right and Vastum knows exactly what they’re doing because they seem to score solid passages almost every time. This is what makes Patricidal Lust so enjoyable; they know how and when to adjust the riffs and feel to carry the listener and atmosphere into desired emotional landscapes. “Enigma of Disgust”, one of my favorite tracks, is an amazing track which delivers some unique atmospheres, not because the actual passages are new, but because the arrangement of passages are new. As it progress, “Enigma of Disgust” just keeps getting more and more putrid. As we come to the final minutes, this track enters a fresh realm of filth with blistering-reverb filled vocals which acts as a fitting doorway into the following track. Vocalists Dan and Leila together have great variations in their deliveries. At times, when the music calls for it, we’ll hear low gutturals and seldomly we’ll have mid-high pitched shrieks. Don’t pick up Patricidal Lust expecting ground-breaking music. Do it because you love old school death metal and music where you can feel the time and attention given to it to make it a worthwhile listen.

Poison (DE) Into the AbyssAutopsy Tourniquets, Hacksaws and Graves
Suicidal Angels Divide And ConquerGorguts And Then Comes Lividity
Inquisition Obscure Verses for the MultiversePestilence Obsideo
3.3
JF Williams (3)
A deliciously fetid palate cleanser....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeMtNLg5Izw

Solid.

November 19th 2013

That's some interesting artwork.

oltnabrick

This is kind of boring

Digging: Yung Lean - Unknown Memory

November 19th 2013

As I mentioned in the review, this album contains music that's been done before. I still feel it's well composed though. Perhaps that's what you mean, boring in the sense that it's been done before. However, as the review also mentions, passages have been done before but the arragements of those passages do provide some fresh light.

JasonCarne
November 19th 2013

Yeah, nothing in this record stuck out to me particularly, but it isn't bad by any means.

I agree.

November 19th 2013

Well it looks like our ratings differ by .5, probably because of the enjoyability factor. To a certain degree, I do agree with most of the points mentioned by you guys, except that I may like this slightly more than you all do.

Thank you all for the taking the time to leave comments.

Inveigh
November 19th 2013

Lol that album art is ridiculous

Might check this out, but all this revival dm is getting exhausting

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

FrozenVain
November 20th 2013

Great review. Pos'd. Album cover is dope.

conesmoke
November 20th 2013

short n sweet review, posd.

those ass cheeks

Hyperion1001

prob wont ever listen

Digging: Shed - Shot Selection

did it cuz I was bored

December 3rd 2013

and it was pretty gd

stop electronicing and check this

hatahs
December 4th 2013

It's like Obituary except with the Entombed vocalist.
Good stuff.

December 4th 2013

not like obituary at all