Blood on the Dance Floor
Clubbed to Death

by Shaun David II USER (5 Reviews)
November 17th, 2013 | 18 replies | 1,612 views

Review Summary: Of the three songs on this EP, one was enjoyable, one was had an interesting variety of beats and synth, and one was awful.

Blood on the Dance Floor had just released "Evolution" before "Clubbed To Death" came out, and, like everything else they had released beforehand, it was shot down like a duck in open season. They did it to themselves, but then you have to know that Blood on the Dance Floor is a band that listens to what their fans want more than what someone with good taste in music wants them to create. Anyone that has listened to Blood on the Dance Floor's old material will understand that those two are completely different expectations. While the electronica duo has definitely matured with their two most recent releases, "Anthem of the Outcast" and "Bad Blood", "Clubbed to Death" does not completely follow the same trend, and basically sounds like the unfitting songs meant for "Evolution". They made these songs available, nonetheless. Though it doesn't seem hard to screw up a three-track extended play, you can count on Blood on the Dance Floor finding a way to do so.

When the title track starts off the EP, "Clubbed to Death" begins strong and with actual instruments and background screaming of Jayy's. They start to fade away, though, and then the electronic beats begin. In my honest opinion, I enjoyed the variety of electronica beats and dubstep they had incorporated into this song. You don't hear the same thing twice throughout the three and a half-minute duration, and that definitely keeps you interested in the song. If you listen to the lyrics, though, you're going to have a bad time. With every Blood on the Dance Floor release, there comes a song full of lyrics that is dedicated to the haters of their music. Trust me, Dahvie, we're trying to help you not make a fool of yourself.

The next song, "Deep Within", is a giant mess. Though the beats sound interesting at times, there really isn't that much to this song other than terrible verses being rapped by, who would have thought, Dahvie Vanity while Jayy Von Monroe takes over the chorus. Though the lyrics aren't as crass as the duo was known for back on "Epic", they are extremely unoriginal and not creative, as you would expect from Dahvie, who has the songwriting abilities similar to a twelve year old 'swaggot'. I think the lyric that takes the cake is "Gettin' laid, and your boobies look delicious, my protein shake tastes so great, and it's so nutritious."

"Where's My Wonderland", the ending song, definitely shows the greatest potential that Blood on the Dance Floor holds for the future (hopefully). The melancholic vibe that the song offers up to the table is the sound that these two need to keep stocking up on. The guitars during the chorus are nearly to die for and give this song great quality. I was very impressed with the way they incorporated the electronic sound and the guitars together without messing it up one way or another. Jayy has a great baritone part in the beginning, and Dahvie sounds the most tolerable in the chorus and the second verse. The way his voice sounds is great for the depressing mood that the song gives off. If I were him, I wouldn't waste my time on the upbeat songs because his voice doesn't fit that type of elated tone.

If you haven't heard Blood on the Dance Floor or don't like them because of their earlier albums, I'm sure that "Where's My Wonderland" is very worth your while to check out. For those who are avid listeners to Blood on the Dance Floor will enjoy "Clubbed to Death" as well, but I don't think that "Deep Within" is worth checking out for anyone, as it's definitely not their best attempt at a listenable song.

1.8
poor

November 17th 2013

You may be asking why I'm even bothering reviewing a three-track EP from a band that is seen as the scum of the Earth on this website. Yes, I know, it's not worth the time, but oh, well. It's only three tracks, so I thought a track-by-track was a reasonable review to write without it being lengthy.

FiveLeavesLeft
November 17th 2013

The group should be clubbed to death.

No wait, that's too morbid.

;) ;) ;)

yolo

November 17th 2013

The way they say they would kill their haters is morbid, but then they also end up sounding like a
preteen trying to sound thuggish.

November 17th 2013

I should have commented on the guitars during the chorus on "Where's My Wonderland". Damn.

November 17th 2013

you know you can edit your review, right?

November 17th 2013

No. I usually get it right the first time, so I don't worry about it.

November 17th 2013

go to your profile and right under your profile pic on the left it will say "Edit My Reviews/Albums"

Alright, awesome. Thanks. :D

trainofconsequence

Good review, awful EP

November 17th 2013

I'm still waiting for their acoustic compilation album to come out in December so I can review it. They already have two songs out for it, and so far, it's not too bad.

conesmoke

clubbed 2 death lol.

ScuroFantasma
November 17th 2013

good review, props for doing it, but definitely won't check this out

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

AtomicShane
November 17th 2013

id rather listen to the sound of dogs getting molested than this

ScuroFantasma

yeah

November 18th 2013

There technically only is one quality song, but yeah, I don't recommend listening to this unless you're open minded about them.

The one thing I can't stand is Dahvie's voice is certain songs because it always sounds out of place.

30secondstocydonia
November 18th 2013

The combination of the electronics and guitar on the last song is nice. The 2 other songs suck bad.

TheDarkestNight
January 31st 2014

"one was had"

Brilliant writing. Truly an inspiration for generations to come.