We As Human
We As Human

2.0
poor

by Toondude USER (29 Reviews)
November 16th, 2013 | 10 replies | 610 views

Release Date: 06/21/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: ehhhhh....

Recently over the past couple of years, it seems to me that the constant combination of different modern radio rock bands seems to be a common theme. I’ve come across countless bands that just seem to use different traits of mainstream rock groups and create all of that crap into something that they think will attract many fans of the genre, only to find out that not a lot of people will really get into them. We As Humans aren’t particularly a “newer” band per say since their first album was released in 2006, but even so, their latest album sets a perfect example of what I’m talking about: different bands put together into one gigantic, uncreative, and unoriginal, 10-piece record that tries so hard into getting into the professional world. And let me tell you, it’s not really worth putting your money into.

Now being brutally honest here, the songs aren’t the problem, but the sound. What we have here is a combination of Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Skillet, Flyleaf, Red, Thousand Foot Krutch, Nine Lashes, possibly a hint of Demon Hunter, Ashes Remains, even Nickelback. The list just goes on and on. Need I say more? The vocalist, Justin Cordle, himself sounds almost exactly like Adam Grontier (Three Days Grace) practically to a point where it’s almost as if Grontier decided to become a Christian and create another band. Justin is a good singer, but it really does sound like he’s impersonating Adam. The other instruments aren’t ground-breaking either. They just show that the rest of the band members aren’t incredibly talented for the most part. It's just that you've heard it before over and over again and it doesn't get to you. The guitars have the familiar feeling that most rock bands have, the bass is barely audible, and the drums won't get your attention anytime soon. The album also tries to get your attention in another way by adding in guest artists: John Cooper (Skillet) and Lacey Strum (Flyleaf). Both of whom are from bands that not many people care about too much, so that attempt completely fails to reach its agenda. The guest singers are just there for the sake of being there, and it does nothing at all.

However, like I mentioned before, the songs themselves aren’t really a problem for the most part. In fact, I like some of the songs. The first track “Strike Back” is probably the best track in the whole album, but at the same time, it’s probably the most repetitive as well. That whole line, being repeated god knows how many times, “We Strike Back” will probably end up getting stuck in your head for days on end, but even so, it’s not a bad song. It does have a good chorus and the music itself is played well. “Dead Man” shows TDG influence but again, it’s not bad, thanks to its catchy chorus. And while John Cooper’s singing doesn’t really do anything to the song “Zombie,” the lyrics of the song are actually well written, making it another stand out track. If there were any songs to condemn on this album, it would be “We Fall Apart” simply because it’s the album’s only ballad. What’s the problem with that exactly? Well it’s the “try to be original but really isn’t” type of songs. Almost every mainstream rock album has its ballad that sounds exactly the same thing every time. Virtually every other song is either forgettable, or I would just end up repeating myself talking about them.

So overall, We As Humans is just another “listen to it once, you’ve listened to them all” type of album. While they aren’t really the Nickelback of Christian rock, they just don’t show anything new. Their “debut” album is just the same thing over again, and while some of the songs are good, the familiar sound weighs the album down heavily. It’s Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Skillet, Flyleaf-whatever influence is easily recognizable and it will just make you say, “Yeah, I know what’s going to happen.” It’s predictable, generic, and unoriginal. If We As Humans actually do end up getting into the mainstream world, the likely hood of them staying is very slim since many people are most likely going to forget them. If you simply like plain rock music you might be interested in We As Humans, but if you’re tired of listening to the same thing over and over again, then don’t bother, because you’ll simply waste your time.

Recommended Songs:

Demon Hunter ExtremistThousand Foot Krutch Welcome to the Masquerade
3.2
good
TheFirstTimHurst (3)
Great, for what it is....

November 15th 2013

I didn't really have anything better to do, plus I just felt like making another review on here. Criticism is appreciated, and possibly needed.

Digging: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas...

November 15th 2013

Okay review man. Not gonna neg but try not to mention other bands too much in latter reviews. Also try not to start off a sentence with "and" or "but." That's when commas are your best friend.

Digging: Opeth - Blackwater Park

November 15th 2013

Tried not to mention the other bands but it was hard not to with these guys.

And they seriously have to fix the editing page or something. My internet keeps crashing when I try to edit my reviews.

November 15th 2013

I know but I'm just saying try not to do it. You'll learn how to do it in the future with practice.

SnakeDelilah
November 15th 2013

My 13-year-old self would love this!

Digging: The National - High Violet

jefflebowski

shitty band name

shitty band

Friday13th
November 15th 2013

Nothing is redeemable on this album except for maybe a positive message.

Digging: Khan - Space Shanty

Ecnalzen
November 16th 2013

You might rethink that summary. That poser line feels a bit cringe worthy.

November 16th 2013

Oh yea forgot about that too. Maybe come up with a better word? Or just reword all together?

November 16th 2013

Okay, I changed it to make it seem less insulting. At least I think it is.