Living Sacrifice
Ghost Thief

by Jade Becker USER (5 Reviews)
November 15th, 2013 | 27 replies

Release Date: 11/11/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Another exceptional release.

While unknown to most metal listeners, Living Sacrifice has been consistently releasing brilliant material since the late 80s. Having undergone a number of line-up changes, their style is constantly evolving. Each record is dominated by a distinct musical approach. Their dynamic style is a pleasure to behold in each album, as experimentation blends beautifully with each member’s impressive musicianship.

Ghost Thief is no exception. Taking a noticeably thrashier approach, Living Sacrifice’s new record is full of character – scintillating riffs and powerful lyrics. Opening with “Screwtape”, it is immediately apparent that no energy has been lost during the three years since The Infinite Order. The song is heavy, fast, and ultimately very well done. Guitars are layered, providing a new level of depth in the band’s technique. While the guitars chug with down-tuned might, the riffs usually find the delicate balance between repetition and variation – a vital aspect of any form of art. This striking first entry is followed by undeviating ferocity in the next nine tracks.

The album has a small spattering of engaging breakdowns, as well. Everything sounds very sleek, leaving the listener with a certain freshness that comes from both good production and passionate delivery. There is a healthy level of artistic drama in each of the songs, providing them with that “heavy metal solemnity” that brings us to love the genre so much.

This release has also brought a couple guest vocalists, which compliment the album very well. It is all succinct.

Bruce Fitzhugh is at his best here. Not only are the vocals strong sonically, the lyrics are both thoughtful and intelligent. Over the past few years, many bands who claim Christianity have abandoned a level of their dedication. With releases titled Death Will Reign, the gospel that these groups intend to convey have become strangely dim. Living Sacrifice, however, holds firmly to their faith, carrying the light forward despite a risk of less popularity. A band to be admired for their dedication.

Ghost Thief is worthy of your time.

heyadam
November 15th 2013

Good review dude, short and to the point. I love this record though, definitely one of their best

Bookmarked

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

November 15th 2013

Short and Sweet, although you could talk about the songs more.

Good review otherwise, pos'd. Better check this out, I haven't heard these guys in a long time.

Digging: Sugary Sweet Machines - Controlled Breathing

SadAndHolyGlow
November 15th 2013

Awesome review, although you beat me to being the first reviewer. Haha, but that's okay. It was worth it!

Digging: Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine

November 16th 2013

One of my favorite metal releases in a long time. Anyone else hear a little Lamb of God in American Made?

November 16th 2013

Yeah, definitely some LoG influence. I think it's awesome.

November 18th 2013

Some of their best material since Reborn, damn this is great

November 18th 2013

That was so damn good. Better than the Hammering Process by a long shot

ProjectFreak
November 28th 2013

I disagree, this album isn't offensive but it's almost entirely forgettable

November 29th 2013

Hm... I thought there were many memorable tracks. The first three are exceptional, with dynamic riffs and progressions. "American
Made" was a technically impressive song, too, don't you think? I thought each track had strong identity. What is forgettable about it?

November 29th 2013

Yeah, if I had to say, this is probably their second best album, just below Reborn.

JustinKing
November 29th 2013

I completely forgot this came out already! I gotta check this out.

Nah this is below Conceived and Hammering

JustinKing
November 30th 2013

Band will never top Hammering, in my opinion, but this is pretty solid based off one listen. Will probably grow on me more, though.

November 30th 2013

Hammer was like their second best, until this came. Still though, Reborn will always be their best.

December 1st 2013

Reborn
Conceived/Hammering
S/T
Infinite Order
Inhabit/Nonexistent

And throw the death machine ep somewhere in the top, because those two songs rip

December 1st 2013

Inhabit
s/t
Nonexistent

December 8th 2013

That is a difficult list to make... Pretty sure Reborn is in the right place though.

WhereSleepIsRest
December 23rd 2013

Just a quick correction...
You mean you hear a Living Sacrifice influence in Lamb of Gods music.

Also I just bought this album, and so far it sounds pretty damn impressive, the last two albums where pretty freakin good, as always, but I haven't heard anything of Reborn and The Hammering Process quality since, and so far this sounds as if its on that level.. which is freakin awesome!!!!

December 25th 2013

No, because LS never had anything that sounded like LOG until that song