Mount Eerie
Pre-Human Ideas

by Eli Kleman EMERITUS
November 12th, 2013 | 24 replies | 2,931 views

Release Date: 11/12/2013 | Tracklist

The title Pre-Human Ideas calls to mind a disparaging thought: an auto-tune re-imaging of previous works that attempts to be starkly human. The cold, robotic vocals are at odds with any sort of notion of “humanism.” In spite of this the album, and Phil Elverum’s music in general, works on a very basal level. Its ephemeral beauty is natural, so much that it feels universal. Taking a cursory glance at the cover, one cannot help but think that all the while Elverum is prodding us a bit; challenging us to second guess it all. Despite the frigid and calculated sound, the artist is just as real and human as he’s ever been.

Featuring double layered male and female vocals, Pre-Human Ideas isn’t going to sound fundamentally different from the rest of Mount Eerie’s discography. Especially since this is a re-working of (mostly) recently released songs. However, digging a little deeper and one discovers that these multiple swirling vocals are but one person-Elverum himself. Those female vocals heard throughout are just the up-pitched sounds of artist himself. Because of this, Mount Eerie offers a polarizing idea, with the album standing as an intensely personal affair amidst the strange auto-tuning.

Pre-Human Ideas succeeds both as a novelty as well as a new album. While there is no new material per se, Mount Eerie has produced enough interesting changes that will cause listeners to deeply rethink about previously released tracks. The tedium that was “Lone Bell” has now become an ominous and mechanical piece with even more layers than before. Gone is the dark haze, replaced with a feeling of enchanting clarity that sounds somewhat sobering. And these tweaks are anything but subtle. Yes the songs are essentially the same and will be instantly recognizable by fans, but things such as the indiscernible vocals throughout “Yawning Sky” bring invoke sense of discovery. Newly written lyrics helps expand on thoughts previously explored in earlier albums as well. After all, Mount Eerie is never one to work off of novelties. Mount Eerie is a constantly evolving entity that thrives on offering up experiences and ideas that consistently challenges his listeners. On a very basic level Pre-Human Ideas may appear to be the work of an artist diving headfirst into insanity. But at its core the album is one of the most personal and engaging releases of Mount Eerie’s career.

Saintseneca Dark ArcHave A Nice Life The Unnatural World
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Hammock Oblivion HymnsFoxing The Albatross
3.2
good

Xenophanes
November 12th 2013

I kind of love this and don't care how awful an idea it sounded

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

Oneiron
November 12th 2013

So what exactly does this sound like other than his old stuff but not quite? Hell, what kind of music is it? I've got that it has very layered vocals and autotune, but that's not exactly much to go on.

Xenophanes
November 12th 2013

It's auto-tuned Mount Eerie songs....basically. I didn't want to delve too deeply into how it sounds EXACTLY, but instead give a very basic look into what it is. It's minimal in some instances, while much more bold in others. I wouldn't call it a folk record and I wouldn't really call it electronic. It lies somewhere in between while not anywhere close.

EaglesBecomeVultures

Hello, fellow diabetic.

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

FromDaHood
November 12th 2013

It's too bad you got the Emeritus tag while you were at your most prolific

Digging: Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

November 12th 2013

you're a writing machine lately. good review

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

sniper

cover art is lol

ResidentNihilist
November 12th 2013

Someone give that guy in the cover art a pipe. Great review Chino, though I'm sad to hear you're now an Emeritus.

Digging: The Tuss - Rushup Edge

November 12th 2013

album is ok, cover is goat

is that a muffin

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

November 12th 2013

i'd say that's a donut http://2a56b976980e0793ddee-5cc5435fcbc367bb03f9a415e7067a97.r91.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/PreHumanIdeas.jpg

lauriej

lol garageband

November 12th 2013

he's got a dinosaur figurine up there

November 12th 2013

there were close up hd photographs of that entire room on the pitchfork stream
he got some interesting stuff lying around that's for sure

Veldin
November 12th 2013

Phil is a genius...I think.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

EaglesBecomeVultures
November 12th 2013

this is phil trolling us you guys

VheissuCrisis
November 12th 2013

The amount people go on about this guy on here, I really feel like I should give him another go.

TheBarber

Not amazing

Digging: Hessian - Manegarmr

Lucid
November 12th 2013

with you on the rating. this shouldn't be dismissed outright, it's an understated and beautiful
release.