Foxing
The Albatross

by Eli EMERITUS
November 12th, 2013 | 141 replies

Release Date: 11/12/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The soundtrack to every insignificantly sad and fleeting night of your youthful years.

There’s been a lot of buzz surrounding Foxing’s debut The Albatross. This is strange considering that the band has very little to back up all this hype, because at the end of the day Old Songs was a pretty lukewarm batch of tunes on a label that with a sketchy track record. In spite of it all The Albatross isn’t just good, it’s damn good. Full of standard emo tropes like those that ***ing litter Count Your Lucky Stars, the record is a pretty little love letter to fans of understated underdog indie. More discerning ears can hear Dads, The World is…., and empire! empire! everywhere. It’s light and fluffy, featuring all the makings of an early 2000s emo hit with all the charming juvenile ennui included. Loopy, twinkly guitars play over distant vocals that are messily scattered about, all wrapped up in a dreamy haze. By the time “Rory” kicks in halfway through the listener has already become accustomed to the hollering and fuzzy production. Yet the listless woodwinds and piano still offer up something new and appetizing in said track. Moments like this make The Albatross feel equal parts familiar and exciting. There’s nothing new to their sound, and that’s fine, but there’s something inherently engaging none the less.

Foxing sound entirely genuine. They sound like the band down the street playing in their garage to no one in particular. They sound like every sad night spent thinking too much about everyone and everything. Sure their girl troubles sound trite as does their overly dramatic delivery, but the lack of verse-chorus lyrics gives the entire record a very confessional, story-telling feel. But when all is said and done The Albatross sounds more real and more heartfelt than anything you’ll hear this year.

3.8/5

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns
Paul Golden (4.5)
The Albatross blends complex instrumentals, beautiful lyricism, and a distinct sound to create one o...

Xenophanes
November 11th 2013

This took me by surprise. Highly recommended.

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

YourDarkAffected
November 11th 2013

When did you become Emeritus?

November 11th 2013

booty don't lie! did you get this rec from me in mezz?

Digging: Yung Lean - Unknown Memory

SeaAnemone

20311 Comments

two-paragraph emo review and emeritus?
the final stage of your evolution into adam thomas is officially complete

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

Xenophanes
November 11th 2013

I'm a little peeved that you lose the decimal system in the move.

And no man I actually go this from a guy on FB. After doing some research I found that a lot more people were pumped about this record than i would have ever guessed. Sweet little album though.

medic, rory, and dead bee 1 are my faves

such a great album

demigod!
November 11th 2013

good review man, been hearing a lot of buzz about this album

might give it a gander

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

Leatherneck
November 11th 2013

it picks up some of what A City Safe From Sea had, some of the vibe that As Tall As Lions had going on Lafcadio, it's not
another emo revival album, they sure sound melodramatic and all that but god they may even have songwritting to match
the best post rock bands out there... that's how diverse this gets

fish.

21964 Comments

don't go

November 11th 2013

I would need some emo too if I were emeritus

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

didn't dig what i heard

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

slaythesocialists
November 11th 2013

Rory is a pretty amazing track

conesmoke
November 11th 2013

"because at the end of the day Old Songs was a pretty lukewarm batch of tunes on a label that with a sketchy track record"

You get your point across but this sentence reads wrong. Probs change 'with' with 'has'

Other that that, cool review. I've never heard these dudes.

foxblood
November 11th 2013

old songs was average but will get!

linkpwns
November 11th 2013

I mean, with the exception of the lyrics and maybe the vocals, this is more than just another "emo revival" album. It's so good.

November 11th 2013

yeah this exceeds any genre limitations you could put on it honestly, calling it another emo album is doing it a disservice.

guitar in Bit By a Dead Bee is rad

November 11th 2013

yeah honestly this isn't even close to being by the numbers emo

Spluger
November 11th 2013

Is there a stream of this?